Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2016, 01:18   #16
BHPian

Re: Shipping a car from India to Canada?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I think most of the same logic people suggested earlier will apply for you as well. The hassles of carrying something from here and getting it back here once again is a big pain to take. Question is, if you are going there for a temporary period, do you really need to buy a BMW over there and that too a new one, of the same spec? If you think that it is really important even then have a look at what it costs to pick up a good used BMW out there and then what you can expect to get back when you again sell it off while returning back. If the delta is less or the same as the cost of shipping your car to and fro (I can tell you it will not be) then it is better to not ship this car from here but buy one there.
Minimum 5year move maybe permanent, I am talking to both old and new car dealers in US right now to understand the pricing. Also looking at other cars as well but was just comparing buying a bmw there to understand the basic economics before throwing in the mix of potentially buying a different car.

Any suggestions on some company that can give a quote around the whole end to end piece? shipping, US custom clearing, registration etc. That is the piece I am missing right now to do a comparison.

Cheers
Old 26th January 2016, 02:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

Just lease a car (not buy) and give it back before you come. You will lose exactly the same money as you would have doing all these to and fro logistics. Its just pain hassle to do something like this for a 2010 Civic. Sell the Civic or give it to your relative or a good friends or even a trusted BHPian to take care of the car over your absence.

I may give it to some BHPians here than some relatives. I am sure people here worship their cars(Some).

Make sure your emotions doesnt take over economics of this movement.
VW2010 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 13:33   #18
BHPian

Got a quote from http://www.agarwalpackers.com/ as suggested by MrA. Rough quote of 4.5 - 5Lacs with shipment time of 4-5weeks. An exact quote would be sent by tomorrow. Would probably ask a few more people but the quote does seem to be higher than what I was expecting.
Old 27th January 2016, 14:52   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Its just pain hassle to do something like this for a 2010 Civic. Sell the Civic
I may give it to some BHPians here than some relatives. I am sure people here worship their cars
CR-V wants to take his BMW . The OP had a Civic. Still what you suggested would be the best solution.
CR-V, Why don't you sell the BMW here and get one there? Are you afraid of resale value? If that's the case hand it over to me, will take good care of it and give it back on return
Old 27th January 2016, 20:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
CR-V wants to take his BMW . The OP had a Civic. Still what you suggested would be the best solution.
My Bad. It makes it even more sense to not carry that white elephant as rightly stated by CR-V .If you were in Chennai, I can take care of that BMW For you!!!.

Buying and selling Cars are much easier in this part of the world than our country. Specially BMW's you can either lease and forget about maintenance and everything else or just buy a BMW here and sell it before you go back to India.
Old 28th January 2016, 03:13   #21
BHPian

I would suggest you to calculate it this way.
Check the new price of BMW over there and it's value two years later (check the used car prices of 2 year old BMW). Calculate the difference.

5L for shipping one way, which might increase after two years, so lets keep it as 10-12L for transportation alone. Then comes the customs charges, registration charges etc, add few more lakhs. Compare the amount of money you lose and decide. Be warned, when you bring the car back to India, its not going to be an easy task to pass the authorities.
Old 28th January 2016, 10:27   #22
BHPian

After checking up with a few more shippers have decided to keep the car here, focusing completely now on buying a car state side, which is a topic for a different thread
Thanks all.
CR-V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 12:06   #23
BHPian

I am not an expert in this matter but I spent a few years in the US as a student. My suggestion would be to enjoy the American used car market. I was broke so I had to be content with one car. But if I get a chance to live in US again (while earning), I would change cars at least once a year. Buy and drive my childhood favorites.

Used cars in the US are in much better condition and cheaper than what we get here.
Old 7th February 2021, 22:06   #24
BHPian

Hi guys,

A similar query. I will be shifting to Canada in a few months for my MBA. I own a beautiful '79 Yezdi B250 which is the first bike that I ever bought. I really do not want to sell it just because I am shifting to another country.

Will it be possible for me to ship such an old bike to Canada and register it there? Will emissions be a problem?

I am not looking at taking it right away, maybe after 2-3 years.
Old 7th February 2021, 23:56   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala59 View Post
Hi guys,

A similar query. I will be shifting to Canada in a few months for my MBA. I own a beautiful '79 Yezdi B250 which is the first bike that I ever bought. I really do not want to sell it just because I am shifting to another country.

Will it be possible for me to ship such an old bike to Canada and register it there? Will emissions be a problem?

I am not looking at taking it right away, maybe after 2-3 years.
First off; Congratulations!

Importing such an old motorcycle into Canada will almost be impossible/cost prohibitive on account of a number of reasons and therefore I wouldn't suggest it.

The regulatory requirements of importing a vehicle/motorcycle into Canada are fairly stringent.

Canada does not allow importation of vehicles that were not designed to be sold in US or Mexico. Additionally importation of vehicles older than those manufactured in 2006 is not allowed even if these vehicles were sold in US or Mexico.

Some categories of vehicles older than 15 years are allowed however they fall into the category of non regulated vehicles such as a lawn tractor or farm tractor.

Transport Canada's website clearly says "You cannot import a vehicle built and certified to meet the vehicle standards of a foreign country because the Motor Vehicle Safety Act doesn't allow you to modify such a vehicle to meet Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards."

Please see the relevant sections of Transport Canada's website:

https://tc.canada.ca/en/road-transpo...-states-mexico

Registrar of Imported Vehicles link:

https://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx

If you still want to pursue it, please send a detailed email to Transport Canada at mvs-sa@tc.gc.ca

Good luck!
Vikram Arya is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks