Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2013, 15:47   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: The Toyota Story : From Handlooms to Automobiles

Thanks a lot for this super awesome thread(no pun intended ).

The Toyoda story shows how a sharp intellect has no boundaries. Very inspiring and highly motivational.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 16:15   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If you skipped the looms, you missed the entire story. About 90% of effort in writing this story went towards that. The Toyota museum is mostly about the looms and less about cars.
First time just started from the water jet power looms., but now read everything from the beginning itself.
Particularly that the seed capital came from selling the power loom patent. No wonder they are still proud of their looms.
Read somewhere that Toyota name came from rice fields or somewhat.
DicKy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 16:25   #18
BHPian

Nice one Samu-san, can get where you get your handle from !

And come to think about it, we all always (Ok, most of us), try to compare the Tata/M&M steads with toyota, land lover etc, who have a lot more history (in terms of years as well). We should give our dear indian manufacturers a break for sometime, don't you think so?! First toyota car came in 1936, first tata car came in 1991!

Brilliant post Samurai!

tejas
bantejas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 17:26   #19
BHPian

How did they arrive at Toyota when founder's name was Toyoda? Any trivia on that?

My bad! I just a post below !
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 19:39   #20

Brilliant article, Samurai. It's true that many people don't know that Toyota started off with looms. Even I didn't, until i got a job in a Toyota plant (Yes, here in Bangalore) which is now about to become the global hub for spinning machines. If anyone's interested, I'd be glad to share some stuff about the insider's view- only as much as I can share and still keep my job of course
ajslave is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 20:02   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajslave View Post
Even I didn't, until i got a job in a Toyota plant (Yes, here in Bangalore) which is now about to become the global hub for spinning machines.
Wow, Toyota has a powerloom plant in Bangalore? I didn't know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajslave View Post
If anyone's interested, I'd be glad to share some stuff about the insider's view- only as much as I can share and still keep my job of course
You should do that. However, please get the content approved by your superiors so that you don't get into any trouble.
Old 26th June 2013, 21:49   #22
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Toyota Story : From Handlooms to Automobiles

Wow... awesome .. So Samurai visits the land of the Samurai

I like such reads and its really interesting how organizations grow into what they are currently. And for every one organization becoming successful, there are hundreds which vanish. And its amazing achievement for an organization to become global leader from humble begining.
Old 26th June 2013, 22:22   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quite an interesting story. Never would have guessed that Toyota started off with handlooms.
Many an organization that is famous now actually started ages ago in another industry, totally dis-connected to what their core focus is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Now let’s see a fully manual loom in action. You can see that the ladies are doing three of the motions, (i) Shedding is done by moving the foot operated heddle (ii) Insertion is done using the right hand, that is the jerking the wires left and right alternatively. You can see the rapidly moving fly shuttle in the first 20 seconds of the video. (iii) The beat-up is done using the left hand.

==============
In many parts of India, handloom is still a very big cottage industry/employer and such looms still exist in India. Manually operated by combination of Hand/legs, operated in shifts, 24/7. They make a racket of a sound and imagine a whole locality in a town having such looms.
khan_sultan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 07:32   #24
Team-BHP Support

Samu, I cannot think of another bhpian than you who could have done full justice to the story.

That said, here's a Toyopet I had clicked at the California Mille Miglia in 2009 at Nob Hill SFO:

The Toyota Story : From Handlooms to Automobiles-picture-236.jpg

The Toyota Story : From Handlooms to Automobiles-picture-237.jpg

I presume they still hold good value despite their "Hyundai" like status way back when they joined the American market.

Last edited by moralfibre : 27th June 2013 at 09:35.
moralfibre is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 12:18   #25
BHPian

Great writeup, very interesting facts about the auto giant which, I believe most of us would not have known otherwise. It was like a full course sumptuous meal spread out nicely. Does the museum have any section for current and future concepts ? Would have loved to see that as well.
shinuak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 12:24   #26
BHPian

Ah Samurai sama, a wonderful report! I love japan like crazy as we all have a lot to learn from them! Respect to elders and others in general, wish India of today had atleast an essence of this. Mr Toyoda's story is literally from rags(clothing/handlooms ) to riches. Proves what hardwork/perserverance and creativity can give to the world. I loved the old automobiles, but i do feel something, that automobiles of the yesteryears seemed meaningful and served their purpose quite well, something which i feel is absent in the production cars these days..
Arch-Angel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 12:46   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
That said, here's a Toyopet I had clicked at the California Mille Miglia in 2009 at Nob Hill SFO:

I presume they still hold good value despite their "Hyundai" like status way back when they joined the American market.

Some interesting history of Toyopet in American market is available in this PDF.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 15:16   #28
Senior - BHPian

very nice and informative article on Toyota's history. never would have thought they started with looms! even more surprised to see Gandhiji's charka there!

thanks for sharing Samurai-san.
Old 27th June 2013, 15:54   #29
BHPian

Thanks for the link,Samurai.

Talk about catching your tongue in your mouth... i meant the numerology comment as a joke, but the link proved that my fluke was actually one of the reason
roshan_cruise is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 15:55   #30
Senior - BHPian

This thread does justice to Toyota and its history. What a fantastic way of narrating your experience and putting up images and videos just where we readers expect them to be. The flow of the content was almost like having a virtual tour assistant giving us a tour of the facility.

Fantastic. Rated five stars.
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks