Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2013, 00:22   #1
BHPian

Suzuki Swift Hybrid: Japan launch coming up

SUZUKI is planning to launch SWIFT HYBRID in Japan by Aug 2013 . I think Maruti will be the first company to launch hybrid in India .

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th July 2013 at 16:17. Reason: Fixing url
AUTO_CRAZY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 00:58   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: Suzuki Swift Hybrid: Japan launch coming up

I doubt they will launch a Hybrid in India.

FYI,Honda was the first to launch a Hybrid in India with the Honda Civic.
Old 22nd July 2013, 01:08   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
I doubt they will launch a Hybrid in India.

FYI,Honda was the first to launch a Hybrid in India with the Honda Civic.
I think we also had a scorpio hybrid if my memory is not fooling me. No, I am not confusing it with the micro-hybrid thing.
Old 22nd July 2013, 02:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad.007 View Post
I think we also had a scorpio hybrid if my memory is not fooling me. No, I am not confusing it with the micro-hybrid thing.
M&M had developed the Scorpio Hybrid but they never launched it. And yes, even I am not talking about that micro hybrid aka start-stop feature.
Old 22nd July 2013, 09:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

This thread should technically be in the International Automotive Scene, because there are slim to none chances of the Swift Hybrid making it to India. Atleast not any time soon. Suzuki just doesn't have the market or the potential to sell hybrids here. India lacks infrastructure for a hybrid car and the costs of getting one here would be too high. Honda and Toyota have already tried this recipe before with abysmal results.
Old 22nd July 2013, 09:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Is this really new? I wonder why the previous generation Swift is there though.

Considering how the hybrid Civic went, fat chance Suzuki will ever bring it here.
Old 22nd July 2013, 09:58   #7
BHPian

If I am not wrong, we already have the Prius here. Because I saw one puttering about in the city a couple of years ago. It hardly sells though.
Old 22nd July 2013, 10:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
M&M had developed the Scorpio Hybrid but they never launched it. And yes, even I am not talking about that micro hybrid aka start-stop feature.
Hi @raj_5004

M&M duly launched the micro-hybrid & it could be installed on Scorpio on order @ INR5000 in those days (don't know the current price of the device).

However, it was more of a pain, as it would switch of the AC compressor on long halts, leading to passengers sweltering on heat. Moreover, it was as good as M&M electronics & was more of a problem magnet in the initial days, resulting in many getting the device disconnected.

Coming back to the Swift Hybrid, that a plug in hybrid with a mileage of 88.4 mpg US. Excerpts from Wikipedia:

Quote:
The Suzuki Swift Plug-in Hybrid concept car was unveiled at the 2009 Tokyo Motor Show. The Swift Plug-in concept has an all-electric range of about 30 km (19 mi) drawing on a lithium-ion battery pack. When the battery is running low a small 0.66 L engine kicks in to power a generator that charges the battery.
In May 2010 Suzuki announced a demonstration program with 60 Swift Plug-in hybrids in Japan scheduled to start by late 2010. Sales of the Suzuki Swift plug-in hybrid electric vehicle are scheduled to begin by 2013.
The plug-in car is powered by a 55 kW, 180 N·m AC synchronous motor and a 2.66 kWh Li-ion battery pack. Average fuel consumption, calculated by combining fuel consumption during operation on electric power from grid charge and fuel consumption during hybrid operation after depletion of the battery pack is 37.6 km/L on the JC08 cycle (88.4 mpg US, or 2.7 L/100 km). Grid charge time for the battery is approximately 1.5 hours @ 100V and 1h at 200V.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 22nd July 2013 at 10:59.
Old 22nd July 2013, 11:01   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad.007 View Post
If I am not wrong, we already have the Prius here. Because I saw one puttering about in the city a couple of years ago. It hardly sells though.
At 43+ lakhs for a prius sedan, I would rather be seen in a German tristar or a Volvo. Can't deny the fact that the prius is hopelessly priced and have little or no features that can entice the buying public here in India. The prevailing taxes and duties don't do it any favors as well.
Given this, we should be happy to continue driving around in our tum-tums and now quadricycles. the govt is run by these morons who cannot make out the distinction between what is good and bad for the nation.
Old 22nd July 2013, 12:37   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INNOVATOR View Post

At 43+ lakhs for a prius sedan, I would rather be seen in a German tristar or a Volvo. Can't deny the fact that the prius is hopelessly priced and have little or no features that can entice the buying public here in India. The prevailing taxes and duties don't do it any favors as well.
Given this, we should be happy to continue driving around in our tum-tums and now quadricycles. the govt is run by these morons who cannot make out the distinction between what is good and bad for the nation.
+5 sir. The taxing committee is a useless pack of fools in our country, hybrids should be encouraged, and more so the government should invest in developing infrastructure for all electric vehicles.

I read about the Chevy Spark (Beat here) electric in the US, it has a range of 80 miles (approx 130 kms) on single charge which is poor by American standards, but by Indian standards it is actually very good! Also it is single ratio driven (read automatic, and more like cvt automatic) and has an estimated 0-100 of 7.6 seconds. I was amazed by this thing. I calculated the price which I think came to about 10 lakh INR. If government could give some benefits, it can land here at 8-9 lakhs, which will be high, but not very bad considering the AT, fuel cost, performance, pollution free, even if it means importing a car from outside it surely would help in decreasing the oil import bill! Why don't they think like that!
Old 22nd July 2013, 19:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: Suzuki Swift Hybrid: Japan launch coming up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Hi @raj_5004

M&M duly launched the micro-hybrid & it could be installed on Scorpio on order @ INR5000 in those days (don't know the current price of the device).

However, it was more of a pain, as it would switch of the AC compressor on long halts, leading to passengers sweltering on heat. Moreover, it was as good as M&M electronics & was more of a problem magnet in the initial days, resulting in many getting the device disconnected.
Hi buddy, if you read my post again, I was actually talking about the Scorpio Hybrid and not the micro-hybrid feature available in the regular Scorpios. See pic below -

Suzuki Swift Hybrid: Japan launch coming up-112_0804_15zmahindra_scorpio_hybridfront_view.jpg

M&M had actually developed a Scorpio Hybrid, I repeat... not micro-hybrid!
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 22:23   #12
BHPian

Mahindra Scorpio, Micro Hybrid cannot be considered as a serious Hybrid. It is like part time hybrid. Most the owners were so fed up with the AC switch OFF with the Engine . Just imagine Summers in Delhi, Chennai and Mumbai. But the Micro Hybrid logo was impressive though.

As compared to Honda (Failed), Toyota is successful with their Prius. Ofcourse the cost is too high because of the imports.

I thing with the raise in the cost of the fuel, the next big thing in Indian car market would definitely be only hybrid. Currently we are all not able to think beyond Diesel.
India really needs a alternate fuel source now. I think we cannot think petrol cost more than 100 rupees a litre. Small and efficient car are the need of the hour. Government wanted more TAX from the more popular segment . i.e SUV. I think Govt should have given more Tax benefit to models which give more mileage or which run or alternate fuel.

Maruti Suzuki should be the front runner as they are facing a fierce competition with the launch of Etios and Amaze . The sales will be badly hit soon. I believe govt is also planning to roll out the Hybrid and EV policy soon . This will help in reducing the price( how much?) Maruti has a series of small cars with which they can actually experiment . But the company who will make it first would be the leader in the future.

Note from Support: Post formatted to remove spelling mistakes, correction of grammatical mistakes and proper spacing added. Please proof read your posts before posting.

Last edited by .anshuman : 26th July 2013 at 20:33. Reason: See note in post. Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 22:45   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTO_CRAZY View Post
Mahindra Scorpio , Micro Hybrid cannot be considered as a serious Hybrid. It is like part time hybrid. Most the owners were so fed up with the AC switch OFF with the Engine . Just image Summers in Delhi , Chennai and Mumbai . But the Micro Hybrid logo was impressive though.
As compared to Honda ( Failed) , Toyota is sucessful with thier Prius . Off course the cost is too high because of the imports.
I thing with the raise in the cost of the fuel , the next big thing in indian car market would def be only hybrid. Currently we are all not able to think beyond diesel.
India really needs a alternate fuel source now . I think we cannot think petrol cost more than 100 rupees a lit .
Small and effecient car are the need of the hour. Governemnt wanted more TAX from the more popular segment . i.e SUV. I think Govt should have given more Tax benifit to models which give more mileage or which run or alternate fuel.
Maruti Suzuki should be the front runner as they are facing a fiece competition with the launch of Etios and Amaze . The sales will be badly hit soon. I believe govt is also planning to roll out the Hybrid and EV policy soon . This will help in reducing the price( how much ... !!!) Maruti has a series of small car with which they can actually experiment . But the company who wil make it first would be the leader in the future.
Even if we can get a small hybrid car like Swift/Figo which can give a moderate 25+ in the city, it would be a win-win situation, considering the price stays reasonable.
Guys what are your thoughts on a diesel hybrid. The pros and cons? The extra weight of diesel? The torque can allow better charging of the batteries?
Old 23rd July 2013, 23:26   #14
BHPian

Hmm in diesel hybrid , I think the problem starts with weight of the engine. And also think every time the drive shifts from electric motor to engine the vibration . Also th epics up will be more sluggish . Overall performance will be definitely poor than petrol engine wedded hybrid.
It may take some more time to refine these areas. May be eco boost engine may help this .
Old 24th July 2013, 01:28   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTO_CRAZY View Post
Hmm in diesel hybrid , I think the problem starts with weight of the engine. And also think every time the drive shifts from electric motor to engine the vibration . Also th epics up will be more sluggish . Overall performance will be definitely poor than petrol engine wedded hybrid.
It may take some more time to refine these areas. May be eco boost engine may help this .
Weight, I think the diesel counterparts are only 50-60 kg heavier than their petrol avatars. The diesel startup and shut down would be far from seamless, agreed.

The turbo lag of turbo-diesels can be eliminated by the electric motor though.
Not much of a hybrid, but we can get an electric assisted diesel, which would make it ultra driveable and a little bit more efficient. Same could be done with petrol. I don't know if this technology is called hybrid, I tend to think in hybrids, the petrol motor is shut down at certain situations. Correct me if I am wrong.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks