Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2013, 09:35   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Skyscraper That Melts Cars?

Incredible as it may sound, a new skyscraper in London actually melted parts of a Jaguar by reflecting sunlight onto it.

Skyscraper That Melts Cars?-jag_melt.jpg
Quote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-23930675

A new London skyscraper dubbed the "Walkie Talkie" has been blamed for reflecting light which melted parts of a car parked on a nearby street.
Martin Lindsay parked his Jaguar on Eastcheap, in the City of London, on Thursday afternoon.
Skyscraper That Melts Cars?-walkietalkie.jpg
When he returned about two hours later, he found parts of his car - including the wing mirror and badge - had melted.

Mr Lindsay said he "could not believe" the damage. The developers have apologised and paid for repairs.

The 37-storey skyscraper at 20 Fenchurch Street, which has been nicknamed the "Walkie Talkie" because of its shape, is currently under construction.

Mr Lindsay, director of tiling company Moderna Contracts Ltd, said: "I was walking down the road and saw a photographer taking photos and asked, 'what's happening?'

"The photographer asked me 'have you seen that car? The owner won't be happy.'

"I said: 'I am the owner. Crikey, that's awful.'"

The wing mirror, panels and Jaguar badge had all melted, Mr Lindsay said.
"You can't believe something like this would happen," he added. "They've got to do something about it.

"It could be dangerous. Imagine if the sun reflected on the wrong part of the body.

"On the windscreen, there was a note from the construction company saying 'your car's buckled, could you give us a call?'"

In a joint statement, developers Land Securities and Canary Wharf said: "We are aware of concerns regarding the light reflecting from 20 Fenchurch Street and are looking into the matter.

"As a precautionary measure, the City of London has agreed to suspend three parking bays in the area which may be affected while we investigate the situation further."

Mr Lindsay said the developers had apologised and agreed to sort out the £946 repair costs.
Good of the developer to own up responsibility and pay for the damages, without even being asked first!

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 3rd September 2013 at 09:37.
SS-Traveller is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 10:06   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skyscraper That Melts Cars?

We are talking about 1000 degree Celsius from building glass refection? What's happening inside the car then?
Old 3rd September 2013, 10:38   #3
BHPian

Wow, the developers offered to pay! Imagine what would happen in India.

@Rudra, where did you get the 1000'C number? Can't find it anywhere inside the article.

I guess the building's reflective glass windows were acting like a solar power plant by concentrating sun's rays into one spot.
Old 3rd September 2013, 10:47   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
@Rudra, where did you get the 1000'C number? Can't find it anywhere inside the article.
This is not from the article. Glasses melt at around 1400-1600 degree C. This, of course depends on the composition. At about 600 degree C plus glass tends to go soft.
This is my understanding. I'll be happy if someone corrects my understanding.
Quote:
I guess the building's reflective glass windows were acting like a solar power plant by concentrating sun's rays into one spot.
Possible but then it'll affect on many other things at that area.

Again, please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 4th September 2013 at 16:14.
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 10:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

The Brits need to learn a thing or two from the Arabs and their sense of architecture. Well, not really, but the money they are willing to spend on such unique designs.

Here's the solution to the Walkie Talkie tower:

http://www.gizmag.com/al-bahar-towers/26139/
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 11:00   #6
Team-BHP Support

Reminds me of the Vegas hotel which burned swimmers by reflection
Death ray anyone? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...dly-burnt.html
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2013, 07:11   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Incredible as it may sound, a new skyscraper in London actually melted parts of a Jaguar by reflecting sunlight onto it.
Not so incredible really, the power of the Sun is huge even without amplification, and modern cars are full of plastic parts. Glass or steel certainly wouldn't have melted, but nearlby shops have had their paint burned, carpets scorched and window display items damaged.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-23948811
FlatOut is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2013, 10:21   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Wow, the developers offered to pay! Imagine what would happen in India.
If that happens in India , first the builder would blame you for buying a car and later would have claimed that the road was his and is no way responsible for any damage caused by the sunlight.

The very shape of the building is a mirror . Why didn't anyone realize this earlier ? What are they going to do next?
Old 4th September 2013, 16:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Interesting find, SST!

"On the windscreen, there was a note from the construction company saying 'your car's buckled, could you give us a call?'"

LOL. I somehow picture Renee Zellweger from Bridget Jones' Diary saying that!
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2013, 18:05   #10
BHPian

I am not saying anything about the "molten jaguar" but this is really an issue of serious concern.

Lately, many researches have blamed these new high-rises with glass facades as a major cause for increasing the environmental heat and rising temperatures.
This results from the rays reflected by these buildings and it shoots up the temperature considerably.

-Bhargav

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks