Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2013, 08:54   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai Genesis Concepts - The future of Hyundai?

This is my first thread in Team-BHP, and I thought I'd make it about a brand I own. Most of the threads here have already given us in-depth knowledge of upcoming or already released German luxury saloons, Japanese cars and Italian sports cars. Today though I'll highlight what the humble Korean car-maker Hyundai has going on in their backdoor garage.

Fluidic-sculpture design philosophy, a school of design-thought developed by the Hyundai European Design Centre in Russelsheim, Germany. Chief designer Thomas Bürkle who introduced the philosophy defines it beautifully in his German accent as “an interplay of light and shadow like the dunes of the desert that gives the vehicle a look of motion in standstill". The interiors are further described as an ode to organic design, with a waterfall flow cascading down the centre console.

Chief of American design Chris Chapman has integrated this design and added his own to create the Hyundai HCD-14 Genesis Concept. As we know Hyundai/Kia are 2 of the most innovative companies in design and technology and are usually the fastest to integrate the concepts onto production vehicles. Some photos below –
Hyundai Genesis Concepts - The future of Hyundai?-6252765259006559981.jpg
Hyundai Genesis Concepts - The future of Hyundai?-hyundaihcd14concept2013naias51.jpg

The features of the HCD-14 Genesis include eye-tracking sensors for browsing menu, hand gestures to move through the menu, increase volume and browse photos as can be seen below –

Also below are the photos of the Genesis Blue2 hydrogen cell concept in the Canadian Motor show where Hyundai Elantra was adjudged car of the year. The Blue2 Genesis is a green vehicle with built in web browser & tablet computing integration via Bluetooth 3.0
Hyundai Genesis Concepts - The future of Hyundai?-hyundaigenesisblue2conceptfront.jpg
Hyundai Genesis Concepts - The future of Hyundai?-hyundaigenesisblue2conceptdash.jpg

I know that such technologies will face a long period of testing to work out its flaws and ensure its safe for the driver to indulge in it without getting distracted, but this is something truely amazing. Can we expect to see bits and pieces of such technology on Indian roads in a couple of years? Very possible according to me as Hyundai’s edge has always been technology and the company is moving in leaps and bounds with the recent joining of several former luxury car maker engineers and designers including Peter Schreyer.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 17:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Genesis Concepts - The future of Hyundai?

Spy pic of the genesis (Courtesy Carpoint.AU):

Hyundai Genesis Concepts - The future of Hyundai?-genesis.jpg
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2013, 13:36   #3
BHPian

ahh.. so the suicide doors were concept only! I would love to see those on a road car in India! imagine the joy of dadaa-daadi's!!
Old 22nd October 2013, 15:28   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

@cr4nkshaft maybe you will see it in production line too. Genesis is their luxury division and they might just surprise buyers with the reverse hinge doors. The photo posted below my post by Cardeep is a design prior to the HCD 14 concept. Genesis has been around for about 5 years now in U.S and is considered a car equal to a 5 Series in terms of dimensions, engine and kit.

Last edited by dark.knight : 22nd October 2013 at 15:39. Reason: Updated info
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 00:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

@cr4nkshaft the suicide doors may appear in the 2015 coupe. All i see at the dealers is the 2013 coupe model design.

+1 for above. The genesis has been around for a couple of years. I own a 2012 coupe and its really nice. The genesis sedan has amazing features if your willing to give up the expensive brand names of BMW, Merc. Its a good seller for hyundai.

If i am not wrong 2014 mid would be the time they launch this.
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 09:09   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

This is the production proto-type of the 2015 Genesis. Features new to this include in-cabin carbon-dioxide sensor. Hyundai claims 2 or more passengers travelling in cars for long hours risk the increase of co2 in the cabin leading to fatigue and a risky driving scenario, the sensor would detect this and activate fresh air mode and warn the driver of the same too. Another feature - auto-trunk opening if the person with the access remote in the pocket stands close to the trunk for 3 seconds, this is slightly different from the BMW trunk auto opening where one has to wave the foot underneath the trunk. Hyundai says the car has done its rounds at Nürburgring and claim new standards of drivability.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks