Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2013, 22:02   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: 1st Female CEO in the Auto Industry - Mary Barra @ General Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I think of her as the CEO. Period.
In a meeting with GM employees, the out going CEO Mr. Dan Akerson called Ms.Barra a "car gal," playing on the "car guy" term used heavily in the industry to describe male executives who know vehicles well.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 22:42   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
In a meeting with GM employees, the out going CEO Mr. Dan Akerson called Ms.Barra a "car gal," playing on the "car guy" term used heavily in the industry to describe male executives who know vehicles well.
No, nothing to do specifically with executives. Applies to all guys who like cars, are into cars, etc. Very generic term. Google "definition of car guy" and you will see what I mean

Jeroen
Old 12th December 2013, 08:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Mary is different on two levels. She's a woman and she's also an Engineer !!

Big3 have always been run by finance guys. I'm not sure if there was ever a engineer at the top. Its companies like Honda that are known to promote engineers to the top

As for bring a car gal, I'm not sure about that. She was running HR couple of years ago.

@Shankar, no question..both are very good but Mary's achievements are on another different level. Just pointing out the differences

Last edited by Mpower : 12th December 2013 at 08:18.
Mpower is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 09:21   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
Mallika Srinivasan is already the CEO of TAFE (Tractor and Farm Equipments) the number 2 company in India manufacturing tractors. TAFE has a market share of approx. 28% following M&M's market share of 41% in India.

Earlier TAFE manufactured tractors borrowed from Massey Fergusson. Massey invented the 3 point hitch system for attaching Agricultural equipments to the tractor.
Yes. How could I forget Mrs. Srinivasan.
For Tafe(Massey) major market is Rajasthan where the fondly pronounced as 'Fargusan'
zalaps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 12:22   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post

Big3 have always been run by finance guys. I'm not sure if there was ever a engineer at the top. Its companies like Honda that are known to promote engineers to the top
Even today's GM CEO Dan Akerson is a graduate from naval acadamy and has a Bsc in science and a Msc in Economics.

Look at Ford's CEO: Alan Mulally. He is an aviation & aeronautical engineer by formal training and was previously CEO for Boeing.

Obviously, CEO's need to have a lot of financial knowledge and insight.

Look at the various current and previous CEO's for the 3Big one and you will find a pretty diverse background though. A lot of them will be able to trace their roots back to engineering and or hard core Beta science education. Some will have some stint of financial role and or education. Nearly always complimented with some sort of MBA or post graduate in Economics/business.

I might be wrong but, I don't think there are that many financial people that make it to become CEO. Certainly not in big corporations. The trend there is to have peopel with a very broad and diverse background. Exception might be financial institutes such as banks, insurance companies etc.

By and large financial peopel tend to stick to financially related jobs. Its very much a very specific vertical domain. You rise through the ranks up to CFO, but very few CFO's make it to CEO. There are of course exceptions, the company I work for being one of them!
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 18:09   #21
Senior - BHPian

Re: 1st Female CEO in the Auto Industry - Mary Barra @ General Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I might be wrong but, I don't think there are that many financial people that make it to become CEO. Certainly not in big corporations. The trend there is to have peopel with a very broad and diverse background.
I'm talking about the big 3/automotive specifically. Leaving out 1 or 2 exceptions, majority are are non-engineers. GM has a history of promoting finance guys to the top
Old 12th December 2013, 21:53   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I'm talking about the big 3/automotive specifically. Leaving out 1 or 2 exceptions, majority are are non-engineers. GM has a history of promoting finance guys to the top
No they don't, I think you are wrong, check out their profiles, go on link-in and see what their formal training and education is like

Jeroen
Old 18th August 2014, 17:24   #23
Team-BHP Support

General Motors CEO Mary Barra, Chairman Tim Solso and head of international operations Stefan Jacoby will be attending the Annual Convention of Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM), where they will interact with members of the domestic auto industry. The trio will also meet the Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 10:27   #24
Team-BHP Support

Mary Barra, the CEO of American auto major, General Motors (GM) visited India from September 9-11. During this period, accompanied by Tim Solso - non-executive Chairman of GM, Stefan Jacoby - executive Vice President and President of GM International, Chuck Stevens - GM executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer and Arvind Saxena - GM India President and Managing Director, she visited GM facilities and met the company's employees, suppliers and government leaders. She also participated in the celebration of the production of the first GM India vehicle for export.

1st Female CEO in the Auto Industry - Mary Barra @ General Motors-mary-barra.jpg
Old 12th September 2014, 18:27   #25
BHPian

Being an owner of Chevy Beat Vehicle, I was worried if Chevy will wind up shop in India due to dismal sales performance, thus impacting my car value and spares availability. It looks like this move will keep Chevy invested in India, even with low volumes, they will still be around like Fiat.
Old 29th September 2014, 12:31   #26
Team-BHP Support

General Motors India has announced that it has commenced the export of vehicles to Chile. The first batch of cars consisted of 140 left-hand drive units of the Chevrolet Beat hatchback, which were shipped from Mumbai on September 25, 2014. The cars are expected to reach Chile in the next few weeks.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th September 2014 at 13:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks