Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2014, 15:27   #1
BHPian

The New Nissan Pulsar

Hello All

First of all a request to the moderators to move this post to the correct forum if this has been wrongly posted. I was confused about posting this here or on the International Automotive Scene.

Yesterday, I was going through a report on the Zigwheels website, wherein they showcased the newly launched Nissan Pulsar hatchback.

The link to the same is :
http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...llenger/18570/

The forum indicated that this car has no future in a market like India; a market obsessed with either sedans or SUV when the asking price is over Rs 10 lakh.

With its over 4 metre body length (4385mm), the above feels almost like the death before birth for this car when it came to the Indian Market scene.

How do you guys assess the chances of this car breaking the shackles if introduced in India.
Who could be the prospective buyers in India for a car priced over Rs 10 lakhs.
How low could Nissan price this aggressively to target the Indian audience.

The New Nissan Pulsar-1.jpg

The New Nissan Pulsar-2.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 25th May 2014 at 11:33. Reason: Updating with pics
maverick.munish is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 19:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: The New Nissan Pulsar

1.6 ltr engine with 190 PS!!! How quick is it from 0 to 100kmph?

It goes without saying that its going to prove a market dud should Nissan launch it here. May be not because of the specs but because Indian consumers aren't looking for a 10 lakh hatchback even when it could do 0 to 100 kmph in record time.

As the article says, convert it in to a sedan and maybe, maybe you'd find a few takers.
Old 22nd May 2014, 20:51   #3
gemi_kk

This product sounds interesting.

This may not be a Dud if Launched in india. My reasons,
- It is As powerful as any other D segment Car.
- It is as lengthy as a D segment with 4300+ MM. So, technically, it should have a better boot than a C2/D1 segment sedans.
- It has everything, which the other C2/D1 segment products offer. The only visible difference being its a Hatch.

Even the Innova looks like a Grownup Hatch, but it is a MPV. May be even this product will be treated differently, if launched. Maybe this could become Nissan's B&B product like Duster did for Renault.

Making a new product successfully has rewarded many in the past. Its only your attitude whether you wanna try it or not? Hyundai Tried Tucson, but didn't market it well. When you are trying something new, you should leave No stone Unturned. This is the only Mantra to success.
  (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 20:52   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
1.6 ltr engine with 190 PS!!! How quick is it from 0 to 100kmph?
Even if this goes from 0 to 100 in 3 seconds, an average Indian customer cannot test that limit on Indian roads. Hardly would it be pushed to the limit..

It goes without saying that its going to prove a market dud should Nissan launch it here. May be not because of the specs but because Indian consumers aren't looking for a 10 lakh hatchback even when it could do 0 to 100 kmph in record time.

Quote:
As the article says, convert it in to a sedan and maybe, maybe you'd find a few takers.
Even as a sedan, for a price tag of Rs 10 lakhs would hardly attract Indian buyers who have a multitude of options within the 6-8+ lakh range.
Old 22nd May 2014, 21:20   #5
BHPian

First impression : It looks like a i10 grand to me from the rear view. Even i35 looks similar (although not available in india) as far as rear view is considered. Albeit longer and more specious.
Considering the powerfull diesel and 1.6 litre petrol variants, it looks promising to die-heart petrolheads as well as mileage conscious folks who loves the "extra" power. Moreover, rear bench head-room will probably be great for obvious reasons.(The hatch design) Even the boot space looks pretty "huge" from the image available. Hence, it may just find it's right place among those who loves driving as well as want a spacious and cozy back bench. The only concern in my mind is it's looks. (Although it has good curves and modern design, the same might not look attractive enough when you stretch the length of the vehicle by a good margin)
Old 22nd May 2014, 21:22   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Nissan Pulsar is an European speced car intended to take on segment leaders such as the Ford Focus and Volkswagen Golf.
If launched in India it would not not sell as expected - in a market where sedans are preferred at price points where this could be slotted.
Old 22nd May 2014, 21:40   #7
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick.munish View Post
Yesterday, I was going through a report on the Zigwheels website, wherein they showcased the newly launched Nissan Pulsar hatchback.

Who could be the prospective buyers in India for a car priced over Rs 10 lakhs.
If they're selling the hatch, they better forget it. The market takes time to evolve. Our market doesn't take the premium hatch seriously. Getz flopped, i20 succeeded. This tells slow change in trend.
Quote:

I think a sedan version of this in India will not take-off. Reason:
  • The wafer-thin nissan dealer network, which has also earned a bad reputation for bad quality ASS. When a person pays 10+ lakh for a car, why would he want to put up with atrocious ASS?
  • Nissan simply doesn't have the brand pull in India as much as a Skoda, Toyota or a Honda
  • Nissan didn't play it well with sunny, so they got a bad image. Both toyota etios and nissan sunny lost it when they were not below 4 m in length and they tried to behave like big sedans in compact sedan space
Old 22nd May 2014, 21:49   #8
BHPian

Thanks for the feedback guys..
I am skeptical about the price tag as well as the after sales from Nissan.
Moreover it is still not sure if the car in the same specification would ever see the day of the light in India.
The pricing might be a huge factor unless it is made into a sedan like the Xcent which is available for half the price as compared to the said car.
The Verna as well as the City ZXi are run away winners in this category and even they don't command such a price tag in their sedan make.
Old 22nd May 2014, 22:27   #9
BHPian

This will fail as always. We Indians simply cannot accept over 10L hatchback. Doesn't matter if it's better than most of the sedans in it's price bracket.
The same happened with Chevrolet SRV and then to Honda Jazz. they were amazing cars, but the Indian customers want a boot sticking out at the back of the car in this price bracket.

Although I would particularly love to have such cars in my garage

Moreover, many people will stay away from this car because of it;s name. We already have a Pulsar in India, who would want another pulsar?

And this car looks like a crossover between a hatchback / sedan and state wagon

Last edited by mandhir.s.bajwa : 22nd May 2014 at 22:29.
Old 23rd May 2014, 10:22   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandhir.s.bajwa View Post
...Moreover, many people will stay away from this car because of it;s name. We already have a Pulsar in India, who would want another pulsar?...
If it comes to India, am pretty sure the name would be changed. I do NOT think Nissan will be able to use the name Pulsar.
Old 23rd May 2014, 10:33   #11
BHPian

Paste a box at the rear, garnish it with chrome and watch it sell like hot cakes.

In this current form, it would be a market dud.
Old 23rd May 2014, 10:51   #12
BHPian

1.6ltr 190bhp in a hatchback, I am game if its 10lakhs.
This is sweet news for people who cannot afford brand new 1.8tsi.
Nissan are you listening, get it asap with proper pricing.
brraj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 10:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
If it comes to India, am pretty sure the name would be changed. I do NOT think Nissan will be able to use the name Pulsar.
I think it's fine. A court had dismissed Honda's plea against TVS Star City.

Sunny for two wheelers is still registered in Bajaj's name.

On a lighter note, why is Nissan copying names from Bajaj?
rohanjf is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks