Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2014, 23:40   #1
BHPian

Mercedes-AMG teases the new GT (SLS Replacement)

Mercedes-AMG has released the first video and teaser images of the new 2016 Mercedes-AMG GT, set to replace the current SLS.
The teaser image shows the distinctive silhouette, with the long hood, pushed back cabin and a flowing contour that appear to be softer – especially in the rear window-trunk lid transition – than that of the SLS AMG, following a trend already seen on the recent CLA-Class, S-Class and S-Class Coupé.
A brightened version of the image (above) reveals some additional details, such as the trademark side vents and the different DLO layout featuring a small second window.The powertrain is expected to feature a twin turbo V8 coupled with a rear-mounted seven-speed dual-clutch transmission.

Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes-AMG teases the new GT (SLS Replacement)-mercedesamggtteaser01.jpg  

Mercedes-AMG teases the new GT (SLS Replacement)-mercedesamggtteaser03.jpg  

Mercedes-AMG teases the new GT (SLS Replacement)-mercedesamggtinterior01.jpg  

Mercedes-AMG teases the new GT (SLS Replacement)-mercedesamggtinterior02.jpg  

rohit choudhary is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 23:25   #2
BHPian

Re: Mercedes-AMG teases the new GT (SLS Replacement)

Saw the replacement testing in Colorado this week, still sounds wicked with a throaty V8.
Old 15th August 2014, 18:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Folks! Here is the accurate rendering of the upcoming Mercedes AMG-GT sports-car.

Quote:
According to Wagener, the AMG-GT’s design will mark a new chapter for Mercedes-Benz, and not simply be a successor to the SLS AMG. Unlike the SLS AMG, the AMG-GT will get conventional hinged doors, and feature fewer sharp edges. Dimensionally, it will be 2 cm shorter than the SLS and will have a shorter wheelbase as well.
Mercedes-AMG teases the new GT (SLS Replacement)-10606141_10152328874646234_5134775847500282611_n.jpg

Link: https://www.facebook.com/IndianAutosBlog

Thanks
ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 12:27   #4
BHPian

Mercedes have officially unveiled the 2016 GT yesterday & it looks more or less like the rendering posted above.

Quote:
The first thing you notice about the new model is its name – this isn't just a Mercedes-Benz. Oh no, Affalterbach's input is so significant that the company saw fit to give it a proper Mercedes-AMG designation.

Mercedes is launching its new coupe in two trims, both packing the brand's new 4.0-liter, twin-turbocharged V8 with dry-sump lubrication, dubbed the M178. The standard GT boasts a healthy 456 horsepower and 443 pound-feet of torque. Preliminary figures from the company claim that it can sprint to 60 miles per hour in 3.9 seconds and carry on to an electronically limited top speed of 189 mph. If that's not enough speed, the GT S makes 503 hp and 479 pound-feet to reach 60 in an estimated 3.7 seconds all the way to a limit of 193 mph.

Regardless of trim, that new V8 is mounted behind the front axle, and power gets routed to the rear wheels via a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission with a locking differential. All the weight out back gives the coupe a 47:53 weight distribution from front to rear. The trick drivetrain gets wrapped up in an aluminum spaceframe chassis with a double-wishbone suspension at all four corners that boasts aluminum-forged components. The GT S also gets adjustable damping as standard.
Source
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes-AMG teases the new GT (SLS Replacement)-2015mercedesamggt0011.jpg  

Mercedes-AMG teases the new GT (SLS Replacement)-2015mercedesamggt0061.jpg  

rshanker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 12:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

Look Drop Dead Gorgeous!

So it's time for SLS AMG to sidestep for AMG GT S as Formula1 Safety Car

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 10th September 2014, 15:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

What a looker. Love the design language of these new gen Mercs.

Its got this 1965 Ferrari 275 gtb/c silhouette and that's what makes it so special!
Old 10th September 2014, 16:15   #7

It's finally here: The new Mercedes-AMG GT! The second sports car entirely developed in house by Mercedes-AMG presents itself with a front mid-engine concept with transaxle and intelligent aluminium lightweight construction. The first sports car engine with internally mounted turbochargers ('hot inside V') and dry sump lubrication is configured in two output ratings: as a GT with 340 kW (462 hp) and as a GT S with 375 kW (510 hp).
Mercedes-AMG GT | Combined fuel consumption: 9.6-9.3 l/100 km | CO2 emission: 224-216 g/km

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/webspeci...ang=eng#media/
Old 10th September 2014, 16:40   #8
Team-BHP Support

Is it just me, or does that roof-line / glass-house, when viewed from the side, look EXACTLY like the Cayman's? Also, I find that the combination of the shorter wheelbase - long rear overhang makes it look just a little disproportionate. Overall, a great design though!
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 20:39   #9
BHPian

To be honest the sls had a lot more character and definition than this gt.I kind of liked the brutish design to be honest that the sls portrayed, This on the other hand has gone a bit too much on the softer s coupe language and even looks a bit fat from some angles in the rear, I have read Mercedes purists saying the essence of the 300sl has been carried on forward but then where are the gull wing doors they were there for a reason (technical constraint) and added something unique to the vehicle in its first place

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Also, I find that the combination of the shorter wheelbase - long rear overhang makes it look just a little disproportionate. Overall, a great design though!
isn't that a bit contradictory i mean if it has a disproportionate overhang that would mean it is a disproportionate vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Its got this 1965 Ferrari 275 gtb/c silhouette and that's what makes it so special!
how does a Ferrari silhouette make a Mercedes look special?

just a comparison of the current 911 and the gt
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes-AMG teases the new GT (SLS Replacement)-untitled1.jpg  

rohit choudhary is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 00:02   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit choudhary View Post

isn't that a bit contradictory i mean if it has a disproportionate overhang that would mean it is a disproportionate vehicle.
It does look a little 'off' when viewed from the side, for the simple reason that the rear wheel looks a bit pushed forward. The wheel base looks a tad short. Maybe it would look better from a different angle.

When I say disproportionate, I don't mean Mahindra-Quanto-disproportionate. The AMG GT is great looking but.. It's not-quite-perfect. Then again, who am I to judge?

PS: To me, it looks less 911 and more Cayman because of that upward-kink in the quarter-glass area and the slightly stubbier rear-end when compared to a 911's saggy butt .

PS again: This is hardly a SLS replacement. The SLS AMG was an iconic car that will go down in history books as the 300SL's 21st Century interpretation of an automotive legend. The AMG GT is a step lower in the food-chain, if you will. A great supercar no doubt, but most certainly NOT the next generation SLS as the title wrongly suggests.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 11th September 2014 at 00:15.
Old 11th September 2014, 00:14   #11
Team-BHP Support

Saw this introduction last night.
Quote:
It's not-quite-perfect. But who am I to judge?
Very subjective. Like I find it spot on as profile.

That apart, Mercedes is coming back in a big way. As a brand, their offering is going to be really vast. Just watch out for their India activities in next few months.
Rudra Sen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 10:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it just me, or does that roof-line / glass-house, when viewed from the side, look EXACTLY like the Cayman's?

Oh it does.

Only the Porsche is BETTER. much....
Old 11th September 2014, 10:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Nico Rosberg Unveils the New Mercedes-AMG GT!

Nico Rosberg Unveils the Stunning New Mercedes-AMG GT!

More details here http://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/news...amg-gt-launch/

It's a mean beast

Mercedes-AMG teases the new GT (SLS Replacement)-mercedesamg_gt_26a.jpg

Cheers!

Vinu

Last edited by myavu : 11th September 2014 at 10:33.
myavu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 08:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Stunning Car!

A Class meets Porsche? Who cares?

Here it is in bespoke Mercedes colour. Apparently, it’s the second car entirely developed by AMG, and the first Mercedes to drop ‘Benz’ from its name as a result.

Mercedes-AMG teases the new GT (SLS Replacement)-image1.jpg
Mercedes-AMG teases the new GT (SLS Replacement)-image2.jpg
Mercedes-AMG teases the new GT (SLS Replacement)-image3.jpg
Mercedes-AMG teases the new GT (SLS Replacement)-image4.jpg

Source
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 10:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
What a looker. Love the design language of these new gen Mercs.

I would argue it's got the 911 sloping roof & I don't think that's coincidental. I believe this car was made to target the 911 market specifically more than anything else...

Pretty car though, much better looking than the sharp yet oddly proportioned SLS.
Maky is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks