Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2014, 09:15   #1
BHPian

Self-driving Pods at London’s Heathrow Airport

Stumbled upon this article today and was impressed, but not surprised, with what they have achieved at the airport in London.
What caught me totally off guard, was the report that a similar system was being designed for Amritsar in India.
These self driving pods have the potential to reduce mishaps that occur on our roads everyday.

Coming to my question, what appeal would such a system make to a motor enthusiast? A pod that drives as silently as a refrigerator, with a max speed of 25mph, and importantly, with zero user involvement. The author ends with this same question.

Though I believe this system is meant largely as a replacement for the public transport apparatus, there is still the Google Drive initiative which has gained a lot of traction, and has clocked many miles. Would an idea of a self driving future with minimum human intervention be something that people on this forum are open to?

Following is the original BBC link.
http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20140...heathrows-pods

Self-driving Pods at London’s Heathrow Airport-611zrzym9rl._sl1500_.jpg

Self-driving Pods at London’s Heathrow Airport-p026fc40.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th September 2014 at 14:11. Reason: Adding pics.
Vitruvius is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 17:23   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Self-driving Pods at London’s Heathrow Airport

Thread moved to the International Scene. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 23:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

This would not work in India IMHO. UK has lot of "disposable power" and can afford to operate electric pods.

Even if launched in india, Initially there might be a scam and then It will ROT in the corner after a couple of months for want of electricity. I dont think India is yet to go Electric. households and railways are the first that need to get electricity and then comes these luxury items. Mobile towers, which is a necassity nowadays still use Diesel gensets and not electricity.

After the attacks in Mumbai, Mumbai coast guard / Police were given some super speed imported boats for patrolling. They are now lying unused for want to fuel.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 01:56   #4
BHPian

This system is meant as a replacement for public buses, no?
The assumption here is that power generation at a power plant is more efficient than doing it on the road(diesel buses). Moreover, this system would obviously generate income that's why private players are involved in Amritsar. Availability of electricity is not a major hurdle. Civilian electricity lines seldom power these systems.
Vitruvius is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 10:22   #5
BHPian

Human beings create all the mess on the roads, and with automated driving, our roads could be made narrower and still carry more people than what they currently do.

Saying this could spell disaster for me on this forum, but I have to say it: I hate driving. I would love to get my hands off the wheel (or handle) as soon as possible.
hellmet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 12:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitruvius View Post
This system is meant as a replacement for public buses, no?
The assumption here is that power generation at a power plant is more efficient than doing it on the road(diesel buses). Moreover, this system would obviously generate income that's why private players are involved in Amritsar. Availability of electricity is not a major hurdle. Civilian electricity lines seldom power these systems.
Well, it is our tax money that would be used for this infrastructure and this service will NOT be free. This will result in Airport fee being increased and in turn air-tickets to Amritsar would be expensive by at least 20%. I would prefer a simple motorized walk bridge / Escalator with access to the Bus terminal / Parking. This is already implemented at Hyderabad airport.

In London, most passengers use private car or the public transport. Here most of the airport passengers use taxis. Due to the volume of passengers to be ferried, such pods are useful. Secondly, the average joe is not courteous and the buttons / switches would be damaged and the pods will all have pan stains on it.

I would prefer to save this electricity and give it to some 100 households, which would be more benfitial rather than having an electric pod at airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Human beings create all the mess on the roads, and with automated driving, our roads could be made narrower and still carry more people than what they currently do.

Saying this could spell disaster for me on this forum, but I have to say it: I hate driving. I would love to get my hands off the wheel (or handle) as soon as possible.
This is just an airport shuttle from the terminal to the exit. A similar concept already exists in most airports in united states. There are automated driverless trains, shuttling passengers between the airport terminals / parking / City Bus / Commuter trains. It is the same concept, just that the pods dont run on rails, but on roads.

At the end of the day, I am happy with Escalator / Elevator and a design similar to hyderabad airport. I personally dont want Pods and other niche transports. It is a waste of my tax money.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 15th September 2014 at 12:49.
Old 15th September 2014, 12:57   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post

This is just an airport shuttle from the terminal to the exit. A similar concept already exists in most airports in united states. There are automated driverless trains, shuttling passengers between the airport terminals / parking / City Bus / Commuter trains. It is the same concept, just that the pods dont run on rails, but on roads.
Yes, I'm quite aware of that. I was replying to the question asked in OP "Would an idea of a self driving future with minimum human intervention be something that people on this forum are open to?"
hellmet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 13:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Yes, I'm quite aware of that. I was replying to the question asked in OP "Would an idea of a self driving future with minimum human intervention be something that people on this forum are open to?"
Oh !! Absolutely. I would love to travel in such cars. This would really make the right of way concept enforced and also reduce accidents by a lot.

I for one am open to driverless anything.

- It would stop all Dharnas and protest by Bus and train staff
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks