Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2014, 16:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda City Hybrid (aka Grace) launched in Japan

Honda has commenced sales of the Grace Hybrid sedan across dealerships in Japan. The car is equipped with Honda’s SPORT HYBRID i-DCD one-motor hybrid system. This set-up combines a 1.5-litre i-VTEC petrol engine, a 7-speed dual-clutch transmission with an integrated electric motor and an "intelligent power unit" with a lithium-ion battery.

Honda claims the Grace can return a fuel economy of 34.4 km/l which the automaker says is the best among all hybrid sedan models in the Japanese market (Excluding plug-in hybrids). The sedan also comes in an all wheel drive avatar that returns a lower fuel economy of 29.4 km/l. Safety features on the Grace include Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA), Hill-Start Assist and the Emergency Stop Signal (ESS) system among others. Honda also says the car features the Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE) body that applies Honda’s G-Force Control Technology (G-CON) to enhance self-protection and make it "less aggressive" to other vehicles in the event of a collision.

Differentiating styling cues from the City include a tweaked front bumper, LED tail lights & a small boot-lid spoiler. On the inside, the Grace gets a small blue gear knob along with the battery level readout in the instrument cluster. Like the exteriors, the interiors remain nearly identical. Honda has also added a special needs variant that features a rotating front passenger seat.

Prices for the Grace FWD begin at Yen 1,950,000 while the base AWD model starts at Yen 2,144,400.

Honda City Hybrid (aka Grace) launched in Japan-2015_honda_grace_hybrid_onroad1000668x275.jpg

Honda City Hybrid (aka Grace) launched in Japan-47197271413648047.jpg

Honda City Hybrid (aka Grace) launched in Japan-1621255814784841373.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 2nd December 2014 at 17:00.
Tushar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2014, 17:08   #2
D4D
BHPian

Re: Honda City Hybrid (aka Grace) launched in Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
This set-up combines a 1.5-litre i-VTEC petrol engine, a 7-speed dual-clutch transmission with an integrated electric motor and an "intelligent power unit" with a lithium-ion battery.
Very impressive car. Why doesn't Honda get the 7 speed DCT to India in the regular City?

Quote:
Prices for the Grace FWD begin at Yen 1,950,000 while the base AWD model starts at Yen 2,144,400.
Yen 1,950,000 = 1,00x,xxx INR. Impressive. Prices will very even if manufactured locally as certain components maybe imported.
Why can't they produce thing locally?

We need that single car which should start the Hybrid revolution.

Once the ball is set rolling, the govt will reduce taxes on other hybrids/EVs and change their taxation for EVs/Hybrids.
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2014, 20:40   #3
BHPian

On a direct conversion it looks impressive. But I doubt the actual cost will be touching the roof. The controls need to be imported and not sure on the motor and battery.

Honda has not done much changes in the exterior or interiors between City and Grace, retaining even the front chrome.
Old 2nd December 2014, 22:37   #4
D C
BHPian

That's an impressive price tag for a Hybrid car! Interior looks amazing.

Sadly, all manufacturers increase their price tag and downgrade interiors and features when they launch same products in India.

I feel, this car may even be worth if introduced in India at 15 to 20 Lac.
Old 3rd December 2014, 00:58   #5
MHG
BHPian

Brilliant all-black interiors, superb alloy wheels and a tempting price for a Hybrid - IF we get JDM spec in India at JDM price.

But.... I'd have to be under the influence of the smoke of an assortment of random illegal herbs if I start believing that it will really happen. We may get the same car with tinny build, beige interiors and two airbags for about 50% to 100% higher price. Or we'll not get the car at all.
MHG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 09:28   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Just one question (I'm a beginner in this subject)
Does AWD get additional motor in rear or the one in 2WD is moved to rear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
superb alloy wheels
We may get the same car with tinny build, beige interiors and two airbags for about 50% to 100% higher price. Or we'll not get the car at all.
It's manufacturer's assumption that Indian customers need more Chrome and Beige. I suppose black interiors are cheaper than beige / any light color. Previous gen City Corporate edition was sold with all black interiors and for my eyes they were more pleasing.

I hope they where steel wheels with wheel covers (and not Alloy wheels)
Quote:
The Grace gets 15-inch steel wheels with hubcaps, while only the top-spec EX trim gets 16-inchers for two-wheel-drive models; the four-wheel-drive version gets 15-inchers
Source: http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...an-391967.aspx

Regarding the pricing, adding a lakh or couple to the current price should sell like a hot cake (if at all Honda plan to sell in India)

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 3rd December 2014 at 09:34.
Old 3rd December 2014, 16:34   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Must say, I'm pleasantly surprised that Honda even launched the City in Japan. The recent couple of generations were mainly sold in developing countries.

The price - It is significantly cheaper than the Prius!

That said, I don't think a City Hybrid is coming to India anytime soon. Honda might still be suffering nightmares from the Civic Hybrid fiasco (overpriced, no doubt) and well, the City currently has a diesel to keep the masses happy.

Between the two, I think Toyota will be the first to introduce hybrids in the mass market here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks