Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2015, 11:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rolls Royce sales quadruple in 5 years!

Rolls-Royce has revealed that the company has registered record sales results for a fifth consecutive year. The BMW subsidiary sold 4,063 cars globally in 2014. While the approximate 12% growth is an impressive figure by itself, it also shows the brand's increasing popularity as global sales have more than quadrupled since 2009.

The number also happens to be the highest in the brand’s 111-year history. North America topped regional sales, followed by the Middle East, Europe and China. The top three regions recorded growth figures of 30%, 20% and 40% respectively. Globally, Rolls Royce has 127 dealerships with 6 new ones added in 2014. Leading markets for the brand include the USA, China, UAE, UK and Saudi Arabia.

Rolls-Royce has seen a relatively consistent growth curve over the past decade or so. From 300 units in 2003 to 1,212 units in 2008, the brand has won over the wealthy. Sales dropped in 2009 to 1,002 units, but more than doubled in 2010 to 2,711 units. Since 2011, the British car maker has seen sales consistently staying above 3500 units, with the 4000 unit threshold being crossed in 2014.

Rolls Royce sales quadruple in 5 years!-unnamed.jpg
Tushar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 15:54   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rolls Royce sales quadruple in 5 years!

For a brand selling super expensive cars, increasing sales 4X is huge . It's absolutely unprecedented. Hard to believe Rolls Royce sold merely a thousand cars in 2009. Credit to BMW for turning this marque around. When BMW bought Rolls Royce, its sales were in the 3 digits.

Am certain a Rolls Royce SUV () will be announced soon.

Bloomberg tells me that the biggest markets for Rolls are the USA, then China, UAE and U.K.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 16:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Bloomberg tells me that the biggest markets for Rolls are the USA, then China, UAE and U.K.
I had done a breakup of the RR imports into India for 2014 using Zauba.

Rolls Royce imports in 2014(as per www.zauba.com)

Note:
1.Any Rolls Royce imported between 1st Jan 2014 to 31st Dec 2014 is considered.
2.The number of imports may not be indicative of the number of cars sold,since i am not considering sales of 2013 cars or cars which remain unsold.
3.Does not include these one vintage Rolls Royce

• 1 1933 Rolls Royce 20/25.

Total number of RR’s imported: 29

Break up:

Ghost

1. EWB : 4
2. SWB : 15

Total : 19

Phantom

3. EWB : 3
4. SWB : 4

Total : 7

Wraith : 3

So the number of RR sales has been about 60% of Bentley sales.I wonder if just 29 cars is enough to keep two showrooms running.At the very upper level of the India sedan market,it seems the venerable Phantom is still ahead of the Mulsanne.

So India consumes at best about .8-1% of its global sales.
avishar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 17:11   #4
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
I wonder if just 29 cars is enough to keep two showrooms running.
AFAIK Rolls Royce has four showrooms in India. One each in Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad and Chandigarh.

29 cars may not be the actual number, there might be a few more that have not featured in Zauba's list.
Old 8th January 2015, 18:32   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Ghost Total : 19
Phantom Total : 7
Wraith : 3
Superb find . That's a pretty good mix, I must say.

Quote:
I wonder if just 29 cars is enough to keep two showrooms running
A dealer easily makes 50 lakhs - 1 crore on a Rolls (depending on model). That's more than enough to pay the bills. Importantly, the typical Rolls dealer also has a higher volume BMW dealership.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 20:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Superb find . That's a pretty good mix, I must say.

A dealer easily makes 50 lakhs - 1 crore on a Rolls (depending on model). That's more than enough to pay the bills. Importantly, the typical Rolls dealer also has a higher volume BMW dealership.
To tell you the truth,i am not really sure about this.Capital costs and rental must be pretty exorbitant? Especially for Mumbai and Delhi? Rental costs can easily run a few 10s of lakhs every month.

29 cars though,as i have mentioned,is not indicative of the number of cars sold.There might be 2013 cars which could have gone this year,and also deposits taken this year for delivery in 2015.These cars have long lead times and therefore 30-40 cars would be a good guess! Although i am pretty confident Zauba doesnt miss any cars if imported and cleared by customs.

I have also done a breakup for Bentley,GTO.If you are interested they imported 52 cars this year.I have posted that on the 'Data available online thread' in the Supercars section.I intend to do a breakup of all the luxury car makers,if anyone is interested.

Last edited by avishar : 8th January 2015 at 20:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks