Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2015, 22:22   #1
BHPian

Meet the brand new Ford GT!

Ford showcases the New GT. Ford is getting it right.

http://jalopnik.com/ford-gt-this-is-...=1421073124631

Last edited by aah78 : 13th January 2015 at 18:46. Reason: Post moved to newly created thread.
Jomz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 07:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Meet the brand new Ford GT!

The Ford GT is back. And gone is the supercharged V8 of old, replaced by an Ecoboost engine. A twin-turbo 3.5L V6 engine drives the rear wheels with ‘more than' 600 bhp.

Meet the brand new Ford GT!-fordgt_100496704_h.jpg
Meet the brand new Ford GT!-fordgtlivephotos2015detroitautoshow_100496819_h.jpg
Meet the brand new Ford GT!-fordgtlivephotos2015detroitautoshow_100496816_h.jpg
Meet the brand new Ford GT!-fordgtlivephotos2015detroitautoshow_100496815_h.jpg
Meet the brand new Ford GT!-fordgt_100496738_h.jpg
Meet the brand new Ford GT!-fordgt_100496740_h.jpg

There's plenty to help it on its way too, with lots of carbon fibre to keep the weight down. A carbon passenger cell, a la McLaren 650S and P1, is joined by carbon in chassis components too. "The GT will exhibit one of the best power-to-weight ratios of any production car", Ford promises.

Aerodynamics play a huge role, as you may be able to tell from styling way more intricate and involved than the rather retro-tastic GT of ten years ago. Keeping pace with its key rivals - and with Ferrari's spectacular 458 clearly in mind - there are active aero elements, including a rear wing whose height and angle react to speed and conditions.

Other goodies? There's racing-inspired pushrod suspension, adjustable ride height and upward-swinging doors.

The old GT's manual transmission is gone, rather inevitably replaced by a seven-speed paddleshifter, while the driver environment very much takes its cues from what Ferrari's currently doing; a fully customisable instrument display sits behind a steering wheel free of stalks but festooned with buttons, while the seat is fixed, the pedals and wheel adjustable instead.

Looks brilliant, isn't it?

Source, Source
deetjohn is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 08:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Meet the brand new Ford GT!

Wow ! That really looks classy and sporty Looks like a really neat evolutionary design. Only part that I am not too fond of is the nostril like exhaust.
A very good looking successor for the iconic model - hopefully will drive like its legendary predecessor too.

Last edited by aravind.anand : 13th January 2015 at 08:24.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 08:51   #4
Team-BHP Support

Can’t say I like this design. I still prefer the old boxy design of the first gen GT. Could just be me but the front appears to have an uncanny resemblance to the Agera!

Meet the brand new Ford GT!-zdzde7vqrmmm4k6rv5mj.jpg

Meet the brand new Ford GT!-2013koenigseggagerar1.jpg
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 09:19   #5
BHPian

A big American supercar without a V8? Yikes!

I must say, I am not a fan of the looks of this car. The old one was such a handsome looking beast.

Ooh, it'll be brilliant if the new GT can properly kick the 458's backside!! The Fezza has been the king of the hill for a long time now.
Speed.Demon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 09:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Not exactly a fan of the looks. And "ecoboost" at the back of a hypercar! Really? What were Ford thinking?
extreme_torque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 09:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

The visual appearance seems to be 'Incomplete' to me for some reason, as if there are parts yet to be designed and put on the car. It's not bad looking but the vehicle actually reminds me of European designed Supercars rather than an American Muscle car.
I do wish they had retained the older engine though, Its the heart and soul of a car such as this.

I guess the main goal will be far superior Handling Dynamics Vs. Predecessor. Rightly so....
Maky is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 10:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Not exactly a fan of the looks. And "ecoboost" at the back of a hypercar! Really? What were Ford thinking?
The GT is not a hypercar by any means. Its a humble working class supercar with a lot of carbonfiber and aero now.

And that's not a A4 sized 1L EcoBoost going into its back, but a 3.5L V6. The old GT was notorious for its gas guzzling, maybe Ford is trying to give this a bit of range.

And the EcoBoost is no slouch either. Take a listen! And that's a 1L. Its wicked!

deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 10:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
The GT is not a hypercar by any means. Its a humble working class supercar with a lot of carbonfiber and aero now.
The prices have not been declared yet so we do not know if it is going to be a working class car or not but what we know is that it is going to be light and deliver over 600 bhp. I think that qualifies for a hypercar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
And that's not a A4 sized 1L EcoBoost going into its back, but a 3.5L V6. The old GT was notorious for its gas guzzling, maybe Ford is trying to give this a bit of range.
No one is going to buy or reject a GT because of mileage. Secondly I know we are talking about a 3.5L V6 and even then pasting an EcoBoost sticker at the back of a super/hyper car is pretty stupid in my opinion. It is like asking a Victoria secret model to wear boxer shorts. If they really wanted to stress fuel economy as one of the improvements, press release is the way to go or under the specifications list unless they think that "EcoBoost" brand is bigger than GT in which case they will have outdone their stupidity.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 12:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

The 2015 Detroit motor show has proven to be quite the event for motoring legends. While Acura revealed the 2016 NSX, Ford has revealed the next generation GT. The car features a complete design overhaul, with hints of the original styling remaining ever-present.

Power for the new car comes from Ford's lauded EcoBoost engine which is available in every new Ford car, utility and light-duty pickup in North America beginning this year. After making its way on to other performance models like the Mustang, F-150 Raptor, Fiesta ST and Focus ST, the engine will propel the GT too, but in its most powerful avatar ever. The next-generation twin-turbocharged 3.5-litre EcoBoost V6 in the GT will produce in excess of 600 bhp. Transmission duties will be carried out by a 7-speed DCT gearbox.

Link to Team-BHP news article

Meet the brand new Ford GT!-cq5dam.web.1024.768.jpeg

Meet the brand new Ford GT!-allnewfordgt_05_hr.jpg

Meet the brand new Ford GT!-allnewfordgt_02_hr.jpg

Meet the brand new Ford GT!-allnewfordgt_03_hr.jpg

Meet the brand new Ford GT!-allnewfordgt_10_hr.jpg
Tushar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 12:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

I LOVE IT!!!!! Finally a car that can go heads on with the 458. the Hurracan is too tame IMHO and the SLS AMG GT is simply too confused in its latest avatar.

Last edited by GTO : 13th January 2015 at 12:29. Reason: Typo
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 14:43   #12
BHPian

I think Ford has done a spectacular job here. I was a little disappointed that the V8 is gone but other than that the design is fresh yet retro and IMO not inspired by any other car. Going by the history, Ford should make a quicker car than the 458 like the GT40 was quicker than the ferraris and the GT was quicker than the F430. But Ford is targeting the current 458 which will be replaced by a quicker turbo 458 T so the battle won't be easy this time for Ford.
Doge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 17:22   #13
BHPian

Hey folks,

Stumbled upon this news and let me add couple of pics that I think are not here.

Meet the brand new Ford GT!-allnewfordgt_06_hr1024x621.jpg

Meet the brand new Ford GT!-allnewfordgt_07_hr1024x532.jpg

Meet the brand new Ford GT!-allnewfordgt_09_hr1024x682.jpg

Meet the brand new Ford GT!-allnewfordgt_12_hr1024x682.jpg

'The GT is one of more than 12 new Ford Performance vehicles coming by 2020. It joins Focus RS, F-150 Raptor, Shelby GT350 and Shelby GT350R in the growing Ford Performance lineup.

The all-new GT supercar features rear-wheel drive, a mid-mounted engine, and a sleek, aerodynamic, two-door coupe body shell. It is propelled by the most powerful EcoBoost production engine ever – a next-generation twin-turbocharged EcoBoost V6 producing more than 600 horsepower.'
as quoted in ignition blog.

Read about it here.

Cheers!
voyageur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 17:45   #14
BHPian

Quote:
If they really wanted to stress fuel economy as one of the improvements, press release is the way to go or under the specifications list unless they think that "EcoBoost" brand is bigger than GT in which case they will have outdone their stupidity.
A supercar thats eco-friendly and having the latest tech engine would be on many minds on hearing eco-boost, and not the high mileage image. There would be many takers for that.

IMO its a good step to put a high mileage engine in a supercar, that differentiates it from many(though we still dont know this beauty kitna deti hai) . Anyway its a FORD and not a Lamborghini.
Old 13th January 2015, 17:52   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The prices have not been declared yet so we do not know if it is going to be a working class car or not but what we know is that it is going to be light and deliver over 600 bhp. I think that qualifies for a hypercar.
Well, I'm not the Authority on labeling designations on cars, but I believe that the game has moved up quite considerably. Cars like the LaFerrari, McLaren P1, Porsche 918 Spyder, Koenigsegg Agera / Koenigsegg 1:1 and of course, the erstwhile Bugatti Veyron fall in the Hypercar category. All these cars produce around 900 horsepower or more.

Quote:
No one is going to buy or reject a GT because of mileage. Secondly I know we are talking about a 3.5L V6 and even then pasting an EcoBoost sticker at the back of a super/hyper car is pretty stupid in my opinion. It is like asking a Victoria secret model to wear boxer shorts. If they really wanted to stress fuel economy as one of the improvements, press release is the way to go or under the specifications list unless they think that "EcoBoost" brand is bigger than GT in which case they will have outdone their stupidity.
The previous GT was, and still is notorious for being a guzzler. When I mean guzzler, I mean the damn thing would burn the fuel as fast as if it were being poured into the tank, figuratively speaking. Now, even if you're a billionaire and don't care about the economy of your Supercar, you'd still want it to have decent range.

While I agree that pasting an EcoBoost sticker on the back of a Supercar is ridiculous, Ford's marketing boffins had something to do with it I'm sure. It will certainly get the masses excited when they walk into a Ford showroom to buy a Fiesta or Focus EcoBoost.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks