Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2006, 21:34   #1
BHPian

Ford still in loss, to slash production, shutter plants

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060818/...roduction_cuts

Looks like FORD is in deeper slush than FIAT !!
Old 18th August 2006, 22:35   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

The main difference between Ford and Fiat's then condition is that Ford's problems are primarily in their home market of North America, while Fiat's extended out to all its foreign operations as well, apart from the domestic market. Ford Europe, Ford Oceania and Ford South America are still profitable. However Ford's problem is exacerbated by the fact that North America is the world's largest car market - and to lose out there is a big blow to its bottomline.

Last edited by theMAG : 18th August 2006 at 22:40.
theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2012, 07:45   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford still in loss, to slash production, shutter plants

Ford to shut European Plant, more to follow!

Ford Motor Co. said it will close a Belgian assembly plant and General Motors outlined a joint product-sharing plan with a French rival as the Detroit automakers battle mounting losses in Europe. Ford is also preparing to close a plant in Britain as early as next year.

Ford has forecast that its Europe losses will top $1 billion this year, as the region braces for its biggest annual drop in car sales in 19 years

Old 2nd November 2012, 00:12   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford still in loss, to slash production, shutter plants

The Belgium Ford plant has been under threat of closure one way or the other as long as I can remember. Which is quite long as I lived less than 60 miles from it for most of my life.

Real shame and a real worry for all those who have been working at that plant. No similar jobs anywhere near that area.

Interestingly enough, of all American car manufacturers Ford is doing best. To my knowledge they were the only US manufacturer that did not require government subsidy to pull through during the last couple of years of economic crisis.

The most amazing thing is they still can claim to build the most popular car in the world; the F150. Which for all intents and purposes is a pretty awful car, seen from an European point of view, but the Americans still love it.

They don't produce the F150 in Belgium though!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks