Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2015, 14:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Spied: Next generation Mitsubishi Pajero Sport

The Pajero Sport is currently the only model that Mitsubishi offers in India. Monthly sales continue to remain in the early triple digits and the most recent update to the SUV was the addition of an automatic transmission. Now, fresh images of the next generation Pajero Sport have surfaced.

The heavily camouflaged test mule was spotted in Australia and leaves a lot to the imagination. Styling cues include a strong definition line along the side, sleek headlamps and possibly restyled tail lamps as well. In Australia, the Pajero Sport is named the Challenger and shares its design cues with the Triton pick-up truck. The Triton recently received a refresh, which is why it is being speculated that the new Pajero Sport will feature a similar look.

The spy shots come in at an opportune time as Toyota is developing the next generation Fortuner, while Ford will launch the all new Endeavour. Mechanical changes to the new Pajero Sport can only be speculated for now, but Mitsubishi could use the new Triton's 2.4-litre engine that makes 181 BHP and 437 Nm of torque. The SUV is currently offered with a 2.5-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine that makes 176 BHP and 350 Nm of torque.

Spied: Next generation Mitsubishi Pajero Sport-newpajerosport.jpg

Spied: Next generation Mitsubishi Pajero Sport-newpajerosport2.jpg

Spied: Next generation Mitsubishi Pajero Sport-newpajerosportrear.jpg

Images via: Goauto
Tushar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th March 2015, 15:59   #2
BHPian

Re: Spied: Next generation Mitsubishi Pajero Sport

Great find! I hope they increase the low down torque of the new sport. The only reason to go in for the Fortuner over the pajero sport is the amazing bottom end torque of the Fortuner other than the obvious Toyota reliability promise. I for one, would choose the pajero sport over the fortuner (if the issue of weak bottom end torque is addressed) because I need an SUV in which the airbags will deploy when required and a Toyota Fortuner's infamous airbags might not deploy when in need.
Old 13th March 2015, 17:56   #3
BHPian

Looks nice and big. Also looks a lot like the current car in silhouette. For some reason i feel the last row looks like it will have more space than the current car something which seems like the case even on the New Fortuner.

If launched at the right time and price this has the ability to give the Fortuner a good fight sparse dealer network not withstanding.

Request to Mitsubishi: Please launch a 4x4 AT version with a good infotainment system and sunroof and see how your sales take off! I dont see how you can give a BOSE system on the Outlander and not on this one!

Interesting and exciting times lie ahead for the SUV buyer!
Old 16th March 2015, 12:19   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
Also looks a lot like the current car in silhouette.
I wouldn't be surprised if it borrows heavily from the current car. Mitsubishi doesn't have deep pockets for R&D, their monthly global sales are merely 100,000 units (source)...a good part of this are small & cheap cars.

That's also why you see them selling essentially the same Pajero / Montero since 1999! Hardly any difference between the 3rd & 4th gen Pajeros.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 18:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

The facelifted Mitsubishi Pajero Sport is under development and was recently caught on test in Australia. The initial spy shots did not snap the front fascia, but the SUV has been caught again and fresh images showcase further details on the refreshed Pajero Sport.

The images reflect the influence of the GR-HEV concept (Revealed at the 2013 Geneva motor show) on the new Pajero Sport. The SUV features sleeker, swept back headlamps, a restyled front grille, a larger air dam and new front bumper. The body-work also features a strong character line that adds a little muscle to the design.

Link to Team-BHP news article

Spied: Next generation Mitsubishi Pajero Sport-pajerosport161.jpg

Spied: Next generation Mitsubishi Pajero Sport-pajerosport162.jpg
Tushar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 13:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

2016 Pajero Sport: patent images leaked

Patent renderings of the upcoming Mitsubishi Pajero Sport have been leaked. This body-on-frame SUV's design is greatly influenced by the GR-HEV concept which was revealed at the 2013 Geneva motor show.

Spied: Next generation Mitsubishi Pajero Sport-2016mitsubishichallenger.jpg

Spied: Next generation Mitsubishi Pajero Sport-2016mitsubishichallenger3.jpg

Spied: Next generation Mitsubishi Pajero Sport-2016mitsubishichallenger2.jpg

Spied: Next generation Mitsubishi Pajero Sport-2016mitsubishichallenger6.jpg

Link to news article

Last edited by S2!!! : 8th June 2015 at 13:38.
S2!!! is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 19:47   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

The 2016 Pajero Sport has been caught completely undisguised on the streets of Bangkok during a presumed commercial shoot.

Spied: Next generation Mitsubishi Pajero Sport-pjs01_2.jpg

Spied: Next generation Mitsubishi Pajero Sport-pjs02_2.jpg

Spied: Next generation Mitsubishi Pajero Sport-pjs013_2.jpg

The flagship SUV will make its official debut on the 1st of August, at the 2015 Bangkok International Grand Motor Sale.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 23:13   #8
BHPian

That looks really sharp! If only Mitsubishi bothered to put any sort of effort to sell their cars :(
Old 12th July 2015, 03:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

L200 truck roots showing up big time with that massive rear overhang.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2015, 09:01   #10
Team-BHP Support

I really like the double cab Jeep in which they are shooting. Appears boxy and a traditional SUV unlike this Pajero/Fortuner
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2015, 09:27   #11
BHPian

Both this and the new Fortuner.. The designer wants really sleek head lamps on a mammoth SUV and its like he doesn't know what to do with the remaining bulk and how to cover it up. I am not liking how both New Pajero sport and New Fortuner are evolving. If sleek components like head lamps have to be added, rest of the design should be much more wisely done rather than somehow patching up the gaps and throwing lot of chrome to make it look confused. These ones look like a job half done. Does not look like a complete design job. In fact all those mammoth SUVs seen on mid east roads, it is hard to spot a good design be it GM, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Lexus.. They all look intimidating because of the size and have great road presence (again just the size) but they don't look good. Not to my taste. Design seems to be struggling to make it look wow without actually achieving it, atleast with me. Sure I have heard many saying wow seeing all of these but somehow it didn't impress me. Should go back to the drawing board IMO design wise. Sales wise the story is entirely different. Most of 'em are selling well. But hey Qualis sold well too in India.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2015, 18:16   #12
BHPian

From the rear shot, i guess the view on the internal rear view mirror (IRVM) will be severely restricted. Its just a guess though, i hope that is not the case.
Old 12th July 2015, 20:32   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if it borrows heavily from the current car. Mitsubishi doesn't have deep pockets for R&D, their monthly global sales are merely 100,000 units (source)...a good part of this are small & cheap cars.

That's also why you see them selling essentially the same Pajero / Montero since 1999! Hardly any difference between the 3rd & 4th gen Pajeros.
Yes, true.

However, they're growing decently again, mainly in Australia and ASEAN, and more on the back of the cut-price Mirage and Attrage econo-cars.

Interestingly, the Pajero Sport's pickup truck twin is going to be offered in some LatAm countries, and in Europe, badged as a Fiat Professional work/utility vehicle. The Mitsubishi Attrage sedan is selling decently badged a Dodge i believe, in Mexico.

Also, Mitsubishi Motors' size and financial weakness is a tad misleading since it is but a small part of a colossus of a Japanese conglomerate, now doing well again thanks to the money-printing i.e., severely depreciated yen?
Old 13th July 2015, 09:37   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

The 2016 Pajero Sport, fully revealed.

RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 16:23   #15
BHPian

What's this new fascination towards thick Chrome whiskers in the front!! Even the New Fortuner seems to have one!

Mitsubishi should have just named this crap something else that would have done some justice to the Pajero name. Talk about killing a legacy!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks