Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2015, 21:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

UK Police Cars get 'automatic numberplate recognition' system

Came across this rather interesting article published in AUTOCAR UK:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/in...ar-without-key

Most of the models mentioned are available in India as well and I hope owners become more vigilant than ever.

What is a potential cause of (future) worry is that, in our country the penetration of such "keyless-go" vehicles are on the rise. Most manufacturers have some variant or the other with this feature being offered, and most of these OEM's are mass market players.

Maybe Indian vehicle thieves are not that slick, till now, like their international counterparts, but criminality, knows no borders, at least we should not assume anything!
In our country, where supposedly "locked" i-phones and other devices are "managed" and "unlocked" in a jiffy by the average kerbside "electronic joe's", i would not be surprised at all if these "geniuses" applied their creative minds, sooner rather than later,to things automotive.

Maybe its time for OEM's operating in India to collaborate with insurance and vehicle tracking companies and put in place more secure electronic protocols and theft deterrent systems in our cars to pre-empt this kind of incidents from happening in future.
arjab is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 10:53   #2
BHPian

re: UK Police Cars get 'automatic numberplate recognition' system

Arjab,

Many thanks for sharing this information. It wont be long before some thieves get hold of devices to steal cars, knowing that the number of cars sold in India with keyless-go is increasing. To add more fuel to the fire - our police forces are woefully lacking in tracking stolen cars.

We had our car stolen in 1988 from Bombay Hospital reserved parking for Doctors. After running around for a month, I managed to get a certificate from the Police that they cannot locate our car - and this claimed insurance. With this money, we bought a new car. A few weeks after we bought the car, we get a call from the police stating that our car was found. I told them to keep the car

All owners of such cars need to be careful from now on. Thanks once again for sharing the article
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks