Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2015, 16:47   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Bimmer 3 Series hits 40 years

Bayerische Motoren Werke would've known that the 3 would become an icon in its segment the year it was released, 4 decades ago. This was the car that made a breakthrough as the first of their ultimate driving machines. Possibly even the car that made other companies understand the importance of how a car moves, though no other German brand in the same price segment comes even remotely close to the handling prowess of the 3 which is actually a passenger car. This is where their DNA began, the 50/50 weight balance, the steering & the double barrel headlamps with the more compact kidney grill.

The very first - E21 3 Series

The E21 was a very compact car going by the length difference of one feet less compared to the current F30 model. From what I've read it found instant cult following because of the way it drove and from there it only got better.

Fast forward to 21st century - the E90 3 Series

This model is the one I've test driven, yes merely test driven. It might be funny for people to see someone who doesn't even own the brand or model going about making a thread about it but even the 15 minutes spent in it left a lasting impression in me. They weren't kidding, the way the steering communicates to the palms, the clean simple layout & cozy interiors were all set up for only one person - the driver. It wasn't over the top, nor would it please anyone expecting a soft driving experience or "sensuous" interiors. Heck the steering was hard and I had to almost wrestle with it at times, it was a no-nonsense road loving machine and that's what I liked best about it. That's what puts it right above the rest.

The 3 Series has been the highest selling model for BMW, and the key reason for their tagline freude am fahren (joy in motion). This model isn't to be compared with any other for this will always remain the first, something that set standards to follow and will continue to do so in the coming years. India will never be the country that is fully suitable for this machine, nevertheless a legend is always welcome anywhere.

The current F30 3

Last edited by dark.knight : 5th May 2015 at 16:50.
dark.knight is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 13:06   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bimmer 3 Series hits 40 years

The best looking 3-Series till date has been the E46. The E90's face is weird and while the F30 is a superior design, I don't like how the headlamps meet the radiator grille.

Check out this video of the E46 M3 CSL. Some great driving too. Another must watch is Jeremy's review at the Isle of Man - Video Link.

GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 16:44   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The best looking 3-Series till date has been the E46. The E90's face is weird and while the F30 is a superior design, I don't like how the headlamps meet the radiator grille.
Totally agree, the front of the E46 is a classic look. I also don't like that they ruined the headlamps of F30 by connecting them to the grill, it would've looked better had they rounded off the narrow portion before the grill. The E90 while not at all the most proportionate to look at outwardly, really made vast improvements in the interiors. I read that this was the first step to make their entry car that much more luxurious inside with bigger wood insets, the first refined iDrive system borrowed from big brother 7 Series & a slightly more spacious rear.

I still feel, though, that in a bid to make the 1 & 3 Series luxurious & easy to drive, they have possibly gone a step or half behind in the driving department compared to earlier models. Generally the smaller the car the better would be the driving feel.

Last edited by dark.knight : 6th May 2015 at 16:58. Reason: Refining
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 21:09   #4
BHPian

Agree on the e46. It is waaayyy ahead of the rest in terms of design, and it has aged very well too.

Not for nothing do they hold value in the used car market (e.g. in the UK) better than most other BMW models, especially the M3 and the CSL (ohh the CSL!).

BMW hit their peak with the e46 and e39 in terms of blending modern convenience with connected feel.
Old 15th July 2015, 21:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

mods, please shift to right thread if needed

Mum REFUSES To Break Into Expensive BMW To Save Toddler Son From Heat

see the pics at
https://in.news.yahoo.com/mum-refuse...112051946.html

Firefighters who arrived at the scene in Yiwu city, China, were about to break the glass to rescue the boy - but his mum told them she wanted to wait for a locksmith instead so the car would not be damaged.

Stunned onlookers looked on in horror as the toddler cried inside the vehicle as the oxygen levels rapidly went down.
Despite the mother’s desire to wait, firefighters eventually took matters into their own hands when the boy started to faint and they smashed the glass to rescue him.
vinay kamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 16:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The best looking 3-Series till date has been the E46.
Wow, a thread about the Iconic 3-series and I am the first one to talk about the E30!! Not only is it my favourite 3, its also one of my favourite cars of all time. The same formula now resides in the present 2-series.

I liked the Dolphin too (the E36)
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 17:12   #7
BHPian

Quote:
The best looking 3-Series till date has been the E46.
Agree fully. And for me at No. 2 is the E36
benzinblut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 17:26   #8
BHPian

Quote:
The E90's face is weird and while the F30 is a superior design
I somehow feel E90 is better looking than the F30 simply for the reason the F30's nose has grown too long and appears to droop downwards.

Last edited by super.cars : 16th July 2015 at 17:30.
super.cars is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks