Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2015, 05:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Nürburgring bans any more lap records!

Nurburgring management has decided to ban lap records from the famous race track. :(

Nürburgring bans any more lap records!-nurburgring.jpg

The track management comments that the ban will be reviewed at the end of the year, but for now manufacturers are banned from attempting lap-time runs, even if they have rented out the entire track.
This is following a March crash that saw a Nissan GT-R flip and fly into a spectator area during a VLN endurance race, killing a spectator and leading to a temporary ban for GT3-spec racers.

The Koenigsegg team was reportedly just about to attempt a new fastest lap on the 13-mile (21 km) track with the One:1

Here is the quote from the team's official website;
Quote:
This week, the management group overseeing Germany’s Nürburgring Nordschleife moved to ban manufacturers from attempting and publishing timed laps on the famed, 13-mile course. For car enthusiasts who judge modern sports cars by how quickly they can round the circuit, it’s an unthinkable, if not wholly unexpected, turn of events.
Source: http://www.apex-the-movie.com/blog/2...ed-lap-records
sarathlal is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 03:45   #2
BHPian

Re: Nürburgring bans any more lap records!

I do not know whether this news makes me sad or relieved. On one side, it is good that limits have been put for safety. However, I prefer safety to be built into the track and the car rather than by limiting speed. Anyways, the drivers and the spectators do know what they are getting into and that motorsport is dangerous and from that perspective, the limits are a bad thing.
jalsa777 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 07:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

One must consider the actual reason for the accident before making such harsh bans. The management should have instead moved the seating areas out of the way. If you see the video of that car online, you will see that the crowds were in front of the braking area. While not unsafe, there must be sufficient run off areas.

Banning the lap times will only make the circuit go back to its old days with financial troubles.
Old 24th June 2015, 10:17   #4
BHPian

The Nurburgring has always been the favorite of manufacturers wanting to test the capabilities of their new machines to the extreme possibilities - setting a benchmark of sorts. This type of blanket ban will do no good for the track as a whole and also for the automobile community.
The management should instead focus on how to make the track safer so that such incident do not happen again in the future.
Unfortunately, if the ban stays then we shall only be able to enjoy pushing cards to the limits on the Nurburgring by playing GT 6 or Forza on PS3 / XBox!!
Old 24th June 2015, 10:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

That indeed is a sad news for me. I was waiting to see how the Koenigsegg One:1 would perform on the track. It was the only car that could have beaten lap times of the 918.

OT: James May might be very happy to listen this news.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks