Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2015, 02:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Volvo USA introduces lifetime warranty on repairs & replacements performed

Volvo is now offering lifetime warranty on parts and labor for service or maintenance work undertaken at one of its authorized dealers.

Once you take the Volvo to an authorized service center, and once you pay once there wont be the need to pay for either the parts or the labor again if something goes wrong.

Quote:
Volvo Cars of North America will now offer a lifetime parts and labor warranty for all Volvo vehicles serviced after the factory warranty at any Volvo retailer. Volvo customers can expect to pay once and never pay again for replacement Volvo parts and labor, excluding accessories and wear items, for as long as they own their car.

This addition to the Volvo Service Advantage program is part of the company’s definition of premium service, a philosophy that is designed around the customer’s needs and lifetime love of Volvo Cars. All Volvo owners can expect to receive the premium service experience when servicing at their local Volvo retailer. In addition to the lifetime parts and labor warranty, customers will receive free software updates, complimentary diagnostics, personal service, alternative transportation and a complimentary car wash.
Source: Volvo cars press release.
sarathlal is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 09:57   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volvo USA introduces lifetime warranty on repairs & replacements performed

Neat marketing trick, but it adds up to nothing. What Volvo is basically saying is, you pay for the first replacement and we'll cover any future defects with that part.

Today's cars are fairly reliable in the first place. If a major component fails, the likelihood of it failing a 2nd time is very less. Of all the cars I've owned, I don't remember any major part that required replacement a 2nd time in my 9 - 10 year ownership. That includes an engine rebuild, gearbox overhaul, alternators, compressors etc. (exception is only my C220's evaporator).

Volvo even offers 7 year warranties in the USA. Few people own a car beyond 7 years. Fewer still will keep visiting the authorised workshop after the car is 7 years old.

It's a lame plan, yet credit to whoever came up with the idea for making it sound good.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 11:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

I don't see why it's a bad idea. Let me cite the example of my Civic. My car developed a Power steering leakage. I gave it to a Honda service station for repairs. It held for a year and a half and leaked again. I then got it fixed from a local garage and touch wood it's running fine now. In this Volvo case if the Power steering had leaked again all i had to do was go back to them and get it
done for free. It's like buying warranty for a lifetime on the Power steering component which would give people like me who want to keep a car for along time a immense sense of peace of mind.

What this warranty plan would do is it will tempt all existing customers to go for a repair/service at authorized Volvo centers thus ascertaining they use only genuine parts.It also shows the quality and confidence of the manufacturer in their products and services. Isn't there a Volvo out there with a million miles or more done ?
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 15:04   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Volvo even offers 7 year warranties in the USA. Few people own a car beyond 7 years. Fewer still will keep visiting the authorised workshop after the car is 7 years old.
I wonder if this program will transfer from owner to owner, because I never buy a car unless it is at least 7 years old. Would be great for me, apart from the fact that I don't like Volvo's very much. I've had a few from a simple 340 to 60s and 70 series. Very reliable, but very dull cars. Makes for a great company car.

Jeroen
Old 14th July 2015, 00:38   #5
BHPian

Is Volvo trying to tap into the widespread-in-the-US (just like in India, not that it overrides other criteria like status...) sense, and stigma even, that the German luxury marques are deeply unreliable, troublesome and expensive? This sort of thing does dovetail with their safety and their 'Swedish Style/Luxury' branding/differentiation?

I know a couple of folks who've bought Volvo-s here in Delhi-Gurgaon, and both have this sense that somehow volvo-s are more reliable, more honest, less expensive/painful to service and repair than say Merc-s or Audi-s? Even Jeroen just said that they make great 'Company cars' i.e., boringly reliable, relatively painless?!

Similar logic behind this, as GTO rightly points out, merely-a-marketing move in the US? What with their all-new model push, starting with the XC90....?
Old 14th July 2015, 01:01   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Having lived in the USA for several years my impression is that most Americans regard European cars such as Volvo, BMW, Mercedes, JLR, Audi's etc as premium cars offering superior quality and ride performance over their American counter parts. Which to be honest is not that difficult as a lot of American cars even today are pretty crappy compared to European cars.

In all honesty I dont get the Indian perception of the German brands being deeply reliable etc. I take everybody's word for it, plenty of evidence on the forum, but its not how these cars perform or are known for in most parts of the world I have worked and lived.

I dont have the sales figures at hand, but going by my own gut Kansas/Missouri experience there were fewer Volvo's on the road then Mercedes and or BMW.

Jeroen

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks