Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2015, 19:32   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Landwind X7 - Range Rover Evoque clone - launched in China

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
However, there will be a percentage of people who can afford the price of the Evoque but otherwise do not give two hoots about the RR brand. They will be happy to acquire this at a fraction of the cost.
When it comes to watches (Fake Rolex Vs Original Rolex), what you said might be true. But when it comes to real vs imitation car, looks is just one part of the equation. I would expect a Chinese Evoque customer to be a discerning one who is also interested in -

1) Safety
2) Engine characteristics (acceleration, cruising ability etc)
3) Interiors
4) The way the SUV drives (the feel of the car, suspension, 4 wheel drive)

Landwind might look like an Evoque, but can never drive like one.
Old 12th August 2015, 20:00   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
When it comes to watches (Fake Rolex Vs Original Rolex), what you said might be true. But when it comes to real vs imitation car, looks is just one part of the equation. I would expect a Chinese Evoque customer to be a discerning one who is also interested in -

1) Safety
2) Engine characteristics (acceleration, cruising ability etc)
3) Interiors
4) The way the SUV drives (the feel of the car, suspension, 4 wheel drive)

Landwind might look like an Evoque, but can never drive like one.
Well that's actually a throw up. We are assuming that the Landwind is inferior in quality on these aspects. If all those safety features they have apparently cramped that car up with really work then it may not really be so much unsafe after all.

But the engine... hmmm. Now I am not sure about the characteristics of that Mitsu 2 liters engine but am pretty sure it must be in use in other vehicles as well and can be researched. Although based on the state of tune the behaviors can be very different.
Old 12th August 2015, 20:08   #18
Team-BHP Support

This might be the only example where the imitation is possibly more reliable than the original.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 20:20   #19
Team-BHP Support

By the way, a closer inspection of the images reveal some interesting things. Don't know if anyone noticed but the Green colored car shown with it's front and back are not the same. While the back is that of a Landwind X7 the front is that of an actual Range Rover. If you look at the other pics of the X7 front it has several subtle differences from the Evoque. The grill, the headlight, the front fogs and the DRL are all different.

In fact the front has a higher resemblance to the Tata Safari Storme if I may say so.
Old 12th August 2015, 21:01   #20
BANNED

This thread provides interesting insights on several fronts - moral outrage over plagiarism, poking fun at Chinese copy-cat expertise and regret over apparently casual international indifference to, how to put it - intellectual property rights & patent infringement?

A few years ago, while calling at Shanghai (sometime in the early 2000's) on a Mitsui car carrier, where I was Ch. Engr, we saw at the stockyard alongside, what looked like large consignment of Toyota LandCruisers.
Looking at them through the bridge binoculars, we saw that they were a consignment of something called WindCruisers.
It did not take long to realize that here was a fresh example of the well-known Chinese "entrepreneurial" spirit at its finest.
Since we were not loading them, we did not get an opportunity to examine the vehicles close-up, but it was safe to assume that they would not be shipped to any developed market (we were on our way to the US pacific coast & then via the Panama Canal, to European ports).

But this was, for me, a first hand example of Chinese indifference to world opinion and also the kind of econmic 'real politics' that they have been practicing happily - a fine example of speaking softly and carrying a big stick!
Old 12th August 2015, 22:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

Seeing this, I am riddled whether selling a similar car is legally allowable in India. Because even Audi is unable to sell its TT as an inner garment manufacturer has its product branded as TT.
Old 6th June 2016, 22:15   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Landwind finally getting sued for its Evoque lookalike, the X7.

JLR has now decided to press charges against Landwind for blatantly copying the Evoque’s design.

According to a JLR's spokesman, Beijing's eastern Chaoyang district "served Jiangling with newly filed actions surrounding copyright and unfair competition.”
If it wins, Land Rover will set a precedent and most likely other companies will take legal actions against Chinese car manufacturers, according to a lawyer at the Zhong Lun Law firm.

I personally hope justice be served

Source

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks