Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2015, 13:37   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Korea: Hyundai unveils next-generation Elantra

Hyundai has taken the covers off the all new Elantra/Avante in Korea earlier today.

The Elantra will be available with 3 engine options - a 1.6-liter GDi which produces 132 PS power and 164 Nm of torque, a 2.0-liter MPi which gives out 149 PS and 183 Nm, and a 1.6-liter VGT diesel which delivers 136 PS and 306 Nm of torque.

Transmissions include a six-speed manual, six-speed automatic and a seven-speed DCT (dual-clutch transmission), which will be exclusively for the diesel.

The Elantra will start it's sales innings in the next few weeks, while it will be introduced in India sometime in late-2016/early-2017.

Quote:
Featuring a fresh design inspired by Hyundai’s Modern Premium approach, the 2016 Elantra is 20 mm longer and 25 mm wider than its predecessor. However, the headline is that its body structure features 53 percent of Advanced High Strength Steel (AHSS), a marked improvement of 32 percent over the model being sold currently. Inside, Hyundai say that the dashboard has a driver-centric approach with a cockpit display angled 6.9 degrees towards the driver. Hyundai says that it also tasked its engineers in reducing road and wind noise on the sedan, by adding thickened glass, re-designing the wipers, and new rear-wheel guard materials.

On the feature front, the 2016 Elantra comes with a raft of safety features which include Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB), High Beam Assist (HBA), Blind Spot Detection (BSD) and Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA). Nifty features come in the form of a memory function for the seat adjustment, smart trunk (the trunk automatically opens when it detects the smart key near a sensor for more than 3 seconds) and a Harman sound system.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 9th September 2015 at 13:52.
RavenAvi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 18:31   #2
BHPian

Re: Next generation Hyundai Elantra caught on test

Looks like a Dodge Dart - in the red color with blacked out front grill.

Good looking car! The previous version was good looking too. Maybe Toyota should hire Hyundai's designers.
loki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 19:31   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
Looks like a Dodge Dart - in the red color with blacked out front grill.
Good eyes. That's because Dodge & Hyundai have an active partnership, initially it was restricted to engine development & sharing but the two have on several occasions even done badge-interchanging. The Hyundai Getz was sold as the Dodge Brisa, in some countries the Hyundai Accent was sold as Dodge Brisa. The current Verna is sold as Dodge Attitude in Mexico apart from a van rebadged in the same manner. The auto-gearbox of Dart is very much manufactured by Hyundai apart from the design sharing. All these were done as a method by which Chrysler could maintain existing Dodge markets with the arrival of new models, and those are markets where Hyundai had not entered so they benefited too with sales of their cars.
dark.knight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 20:13   #4
BHPian

My opinion. Hyundai has borrowed the design from Audi in the front. And the dashboard is borrowed from the KIA. Though in KIA the center facia is angled towards the driver.
Old 9th September 2015, 22:05   #5
BHPian

Good looking car. Bolder than current Elantra. When is this expected to sell in India?

Sorry. Missed this from Ravenavi's post

Quote:
The Elantra will start it's sales innings in the next few weeks, while it will be introduced in India sometime in late-2016/early-2017.

Last edited by thatsdileep : 9th September 2015 at 22:07.
Old 9th September 2015, 22:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

Late 2016, Early 2017 launch is a real shocker from Hyundai India !!
Hyundai is normally very quick to bring in their new models into India. The current Elantra has done well in India but its sales have now slowed down a lot with the introduction of the 2014 Corolla.
I guess Hyundai India is overwhelmed with the I20 and Creta demand that it really doesn't need to spend time on a 500-1000 units/month category !!
The Hyundai MPV is also expected sometime next year so thats another volume segment for them to concentrate on.
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 18:31   #7
BHPian

There was an era when they shamelessly used to copy Mercedes. Now they copy from Audi, even mixed Jaguar, Dodge and what not! They are worse than Chinese in shameless copy-cat acts. Previous gen model still had some originality in the design and I thought they have started getting mature as a global automobile manufacturer but they proved that I was wrong.

Disappointed.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 10th September 2015 at 18:37.
Old 10th September 2015, 19:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai by far are the best when it comes to designing their cars. Its a conglomeration of multiple car designs. If i like a bit of merc, a bit of audi and a bit of bmw, i am sure i can find them all bundled in one package through a hyundai.

Except the engine offcourse.

I hope they bring the genesys locally manufactured and assembled in India at a decent price which has more capability sell than standard elantra.

Fact is they are not a honda or toyota but somewhere lost in between Hyundai.

Exception is i10 which i believe is the best small car and its automatic is so much fun to drive with brilliant steering and nice peppy engine.

I was never impressed with any of the other hyundai line ups including the sonatas and sante fe's.

The moment you calculate the on road price you realize there is a similar affordable german model available at a slightly higher price.
Old 10th September 2015, 20:40   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Korea: Hyundai unveils next-generation Elantra

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
There was an era when they shamelessly used to copy Mercedes. Now they copy from Audi, even mixed Jaguar, Dodge and what not! They are worse than Chinese in shameless copy-cat acts.
What I say might seem like being in support of Hyundai but I always try to quote fact-based events as far as possible. However I don't mind if I seem to be in support of Hyundai/Kia's current chief of design Peter Schreyer. Majority of the automobile press & fellow designers agree that he remains the most influential designer of his time, proof of that being an honorary doctorate in design presented by the Royal College of Art - London. Only 2 other designers have had this honor before him - S.Pininfarina & G.Guigiaro, both heavyweights of Italian design. Schreyer first worked with Audi & he turned their boxy-squarish designs (please check photos of most models before 1994) into far more sophisticated, rounded models. Interior-wise too if one can take a look, he brought in the large-ish dashboard console design which extends from the cluster-gauge and neatly wraps into the centre aircon-vents. I feel that each designer has a signature, much like the name-signature is written by muscle-memory the designs too are recalled and drawn in the same manner.

Now this is something I've debated here before too, does a design truly belong to a designer or to the brand? I have to say the designer, because its his talent & ability to impress that got him appointed by XYZ company and to implement his style onto the same. Here Hyundai & Kia are manufacturing hand-drawn, approved models of Schreyer himself and not blatantly copy-pasting mould presses merely by taking measurements like the Chinese do. Likewise Chris Chapman the ex-BMW designer (he created the first BMW SUV X5 in 1999) who is seldom spoken about, is the interior designer of most models of Hyundai as well as developing concept cars that do carry resemblances of certain Bavarian machines. Bottom-line being that most competing manufacturers have shared engineers, designers, technical-gurus & marketing chief's over decades, since the days of Benz Motorwagen atleast. I've said this before as well, if originality is important then Mercedes it is, i.e if we can ignore the several BMW inventions & design ideas they've carried over.

Last edited by dark.knight : 10th September 2015 at 20:58. Reason: Fact-check
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 07:10   #10
Team-BHP Support

Re: Korea: Hyundai unveils next-generation Elantra

Hyundai has unveiled the sixth generation Elantra. Posts moved to a new thread.
Old 15th September 2015, 07:42   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
What I say might seem like being in support of Hyundai but I always try to quote fact-based events as far as possible. However I don't mind if I seem to be in support of Hyundai/Kia's current chief of design Peter Schreyer.
+1.

Let's not forget that Hyundai design team at present is a powerhouse under Peter Shreyyer and Thomas Burkle. Designers carry their own flair from one company to the other, and Peter seems to be responsible for the maturity fluidic designs have attained off late.

In fact, the days are here when other manufacturers have started copying from Hyundai. See the new Chevrolet Cruze for example. It has undergone a radical transformation to look more like the earlier generation Elantra.

Coming to the new Elantra, I used to love the flowing lines of the earlier version and the new one seems a lot more 'executive' in comparison. That said, I like the fact that the "smiling" front grill is gone now. Also, that rear doesn't look as ungainly bulky as the previous generation.

Hope there is an Elantra N as well!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th September 2015 at 07:43.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 13:33   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Official Photos of the Next Gen Elantra released.

Korea: Hyundai unveils next-generation Elantra-elantra1.jpg

Korea: Hyundai unveils next-generation Elantra-elantra3.jpg

Korea: Hyundai unveils next-generation Elantra-elantra4.jpg

Source: Autocar

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 19th November 2015 at 13:36.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 14:33   #13
BHPian

Isnt the 2016 Elantra supposed to come with Android Auto support?
Old 24th November 2015, 09:11   #14
BHPian

Well, I for one have been a great fan of the Hyundai's fluidic theme. And the new Elantra is definitely a head turner. The grill reminds me of Ford. I hope to see the new Elantra in India ASAP. With the smashing Civic coming soon, the D1 segment may just heat up again. And lets not forget, the new Cruze is quite a looker too.

Its time for some eye candy.
Old 24th November 2015, 09:22   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

I like this, but I liked the older(current??) elantra more. It looks so elegant and fragile! Wouldnt buy one, but it looks really good. This, looks fresh, no carryover it seems. They could have called it the Mantra, a completely new car, and people wouldnt have noticed.

Whats happening with the tail treatment in all the japanese and korean cars? This, the city, the Ciaz, they more or less look the same at the back.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed