Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2015, 10:42   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mercedes overstates fuel efficiency by over 50%!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Agreed GTO that the mileage quoted are in ideal test conditions but a difference between the ideal and the actual mileage achieved should not be more than 10-20%. Here the difference is almost close to 50% which means that the manufacturer is not transparent enough to disclose the actual mileage that can be achieved.
But aren't the conditions as per the testing body, as is the site and equipment for testing, and the testing individuals?
Is Mercedes using VW like detection software to guage when the car is on test beds, to maybe shutdown cylinders, or run lean or maybe Surbos and fuel magnetizers?

I think its more of a fault by the testing body. In India, it'd be a toothless and frankly untruthful, in this case, arai, that says a dzire petrol will give you 18-20 kmpl.
Old 30th September 2015, 11:10   #17
Team-BHP Support

After financial media tasted blood with VW emission scandal, looks like they are hungry for more. Expect headlines like this soon -

"BMW EXAGGERATES POWER & TORQUE FIGURES BY 10%"
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 12:40   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

I understand what you are saying. But why single out Mercedes alone? Every manufacturer has a difference between their 'ideal' and 'actual' FE numbers.

ARAI says that the BMW 530d's fuel efficiency is 14.20 kpl. Have they mentioned anywhere that this is only for the highway?

I get 7 - 7.5 kpl in the city....which drops to 6 if I drive really hard. Who do I sue? This is also a 50% difference.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 13:26   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Agreed GTO that the mileage quoted are in ideal test conditions but a difference between the ideal and the actual mileage achieved should not be more than 10-20%. Here the difference is almost close to 50% which means that the manufacturer is not transparent enough to disclose the actual mileage that can be achieved.

Back home ARAI figures for Fiat Punto was 20 kmpl as per the brochure for the 1.3 MJD 75 HP. I am getting close to 21 kmpl during every refill and if I try to match the ideal driving conditions I will definitely get more.
Honestly, a lot of this boils down to actual usage of the car. In the FE runs/challenges held by various auto manufacturers, a properly driven vehicle far surpasses the ARAI claimed FE.
However, ARAI and such bodies do not take into account realistic conditions: traffic, the amount of idling while waiting at a signal, brisk acceleration to close gaps / overtake, different driving styles, optimal tyre pressure (many of us keep the tyres a little underinflated - compared to manufacturers recommendations - for better ride quality in the city), etc.

Heck! These criteria can affect FE by more than 20-30% itself at the very least! Eg: In our house, the chauffeur driven Toyota Etios diesel gives a lower FE than the self-driven remapped Laura DSG! ARAI ratings be damned!
Similarly, during run-in period when I was very gentle with the Liva, I managed to squeeze out nearly 16kmpl in the city, but with the chauffeur driving it drops to 11.5-12kmpl - even though he doesn't push the engine hard!
Old 30th September 2015, 13:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
Now all that remains is for VW lawyers to state that as the reason for their 11 million car fiasco and they'll be allowed to go scot free.
Why will VW be allowed to go scot free?
They claimed that their vehicle emits (as per the stipulated test procedures) X milligrams of NOx per second.

When the vehicle was actually driven (as per the stipulated test procedures) Y milligrams of NOx per second were observed.

###

Here the case is different.
Mercedes claimed that their vehicle runs A km per litre (as per the stipulated test procedures)

When the vehicle is actually driven (as per traffic's whims and driver's fancies) it runs only B km per litre.

What case will you build against Mercedes?
Old 30th September 2015, 16:08   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Why will VW be allowed to go scot free?
When they refer to the true wisdom contained in the statement below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
2. Deploying technology on cars that has benefits principally in the test but not on the road [business is not done for altruistic reasons]

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks