Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2016, 20:36   #31
BHPian

Re: Tesla Model X SUV launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
With the new Tesla 3, if I was the CEO of a car major, I would be very very worried.
Yes, Auto industry is compelled to take notice of 400,000+ counting bookings of Model 3 and surprisingly people are ok to wait 3+ yrs for delivery. Current Tesla owners will be given first preference to own the Model 3 and for that my cousin booked 2 of them, only to realize later that bookings are non-transferable. Well, Tesla has a huge obligation to meet the demands and deliver Model 3 to the liking of customers. Lots of speculation for standard features vs. optional features, 65K+ is my guess for a fully loaded Model 3. Tesla, in my opinion is ahead of the game with Supercharger and service Network but a bigger challenge lies ahead with mass market model. Tesla is not a profitable company but it did shook the industry for good.

I drive my cousin's Model S when possible. It was time to test Autopilot feature again after a close encounter back in Nov, almost rear ended an SUV as Autopilot didn't engage brakes and I had to takeover in the last moment.
This was few weeks back on 78E in NJ, First to test was Autosteer feature for lane change, left turn indicator at 75mph, autopilot steers into left lane but it happened to be too close to the car in the left, got honked, was really embarrassing Well, lane changing works most of the time (8/10)

Second incident, this is interesting.. Autopilot activated with Autosteer at 75 MPH in rightmost lane, an approaching exit make the right solid line move more right confusing the autopilot bcos its programmed to stay between 2 lanes ?? So it gets confused and doesn't know where its going.

A second opinion perhaps, if anyone can replicate these issues but I don't trust Autopilot anymore.

Porsche's Mission E 800V capacity charges 80% battery in 15 min. I guess, Tesla uses 400V in its Supercharger network.

Good times ahead!
Old 21st April 2016, 21:33   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
If I was running a car company, I would not take Tesla so lightly.

With the new Tesla 3, if I was the CEO of a car major, I would be very very worried.
They should be. I just came across this statistic recently. This is what disruption looks like
Attached Thumbnails
Tesla Model X SUV launched-screenshot20160405at9.08.36pm1024x625.png  

Old 22nd April 2016, 18:56   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Is Tesla ready as a mass market brand? - reports indicate No!

The Tesla Model X Electric SUV Has More Reliability Problems than It Can Count.
Up until recently, only a handful of Tesla Model X SUVs made it on the road, and a large part of them were in the hands of company employees or long-time supporters of the brand.
Now with production ramp up, more customers are experiencing the Tesla brand.

As with any new model, some minor problems are perfectly acceptable in the initial phase of launch , but with Model X having a long waiting period it is in evitable to tale an early plunge in acquiring Tesla Model X.

Model X has had 2700 recalls and is almost all vehicles had gone through this. Now owners are reportedly facing many other issues- some of which are forcing them to sideline the car until a solution is found.

Quote:
a Tesla Model X owner complaining about his experience: “My car has been back into the shop twice, and the bugs are still everywhere. The P door does not open, the D door opens to different positions, no parking feature, sometimes doors won’t close unless you force it and when you close it sounds like metal to metal. I could go on and on.”
Quote:
Tesla went through a similar experience when the Model S was first introduced and it managed to keep people happy by taking care of the problems quickly
Now comes the question on Tesla Model 3 - Is Tesla geared up with this being now a mass market product apart from handling the volume of orders being acquired ?

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/th...nt-106784.html
Old 23rd April 2016, 23:06   #34
BHPian

COnsumer Reports Says Early-Build Tesla Model X SUVs Face Quality Issues
"The 75-year-old retiree planned to drive it across the country with his wife and son to their home in New Rochelle, N.Y. But the new-car gleam of Karpf’s $138,000 titanium-on-beige Model X P90D faded with a string of problems as soon as he left the factory—delaying his journey.

One of the wildly designed, upswinging “falcon wing” rear doors failed to close, then later didn't sense an overhang and bonked into it, leaving a ding in the door. The driver's door failed to open, except from the inside. The driver’s door window wouldn’t motor down properly, until it dislodged a piece of chrome stripping that was restricting its progress. And, continuing a trend seen with many Model S sedans, the huge infotainment screen in Karpf's SUV has frozen repeatedly."

Tesla Stocks dropped as a result of Model X reliability complaints
Old 1st May 2016, 03:22   #35
BHPian

The 32 Smart Details You Should Know About The Tesla Model X:

An electric crossover with more than 700hp has credit enough as it is, yet it's not a one-trick pony.

Far from it: the Model X doesn’t just rest on its laurels as the world’s first all-electric, long-range crossover, it also has lots of smart details adding to its character.

Features like the rear falcon doors, the huge windscreen, the Ludicrous mode or the Autopilot function are well known, but what about the auto-opening of the driver’s door or the clever seat folding system? The Model X is filled with geeky details and functions that justify customers lining up to buy one way before it was launched and despite numerous delays.

Even if they missed out on the details, they were probably convinced by the most important specs. The entry-level model get a 75 kWh battery pack that offers a 237-mile (381 km) driving range and therange-topping P90D has 257 miles (413 km) of range, a 762hp output and a 0-60mph (0-96 km/h) time in 3.2 seconds.

This video was created by Edmunds to give you a glimpse of what’s going on when you have a Tesla Model X in your everyday life. If you're in the market for a luxury SUV, this might just make you reshuffle your buying list.

Old 27th May 2016, 23:39   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw the Model X in flesh @ San Francisco earlier this month and really loved it;

Tesla Model X SUV launched-imageuploadedbyteambhp1464372391.763197.jpg

To be honest i never had really liked the X, but the looks grew on me
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 02:05   #37
Senior - BHPian

Check out the Bioweapon defense mode put to test in smoggy smoggy china.

There are some items over engineered in this model which will benefit the company greatly down the line.

Maddy
Old 7th June 2016, 12:13   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

A 5-day old Tesla Model X SUV accelerated suddenly on it's own while entering a parking stall and crashed into a building, according to the car's owner.

Tesla Model X SUV launched-teslamodelxcrashedintoabuilding1.jpg

Tesla Model X SUV launched-teslamodelxcrashedintoabuilding2.jpg

Tesla Model X SUV launched-teslamodelxcrashedintoabuilding3.jpg

Tesla Model X SUV launched-teslamodelxcrashedintoabuilding4.jpg

(Source)

Quote:
Our 5 day old Tesla X today while entering a parking stall suddenly and unexpectedly accelerated at high speed on its own climbing over 39 feet of planters and crashing into a building.
The airbags deployed and my wife's arms have burn marks as a consequence.
This could have easily been a fatal accident if the car's wheels were not turned slightly to the left. If they were straight, it would have gone over the planters and crashed into the store in front of the parking stall and injured or killed the patrons
The acceleration was uncontrollable, seemed maximum and the car only stopped because it hit the building and caused massive damage to the building.
This is a major problem and Tesla should stop deliveries and investigate the cause of this serious accident.
Tesla roadside assistance, who was my only contact, asked us to tow the car to AAA storage facility.
Tesla Motors analysed the vehicle log and put the driver to blame for the whole incident.

Official release:

Quote:
"We analyzed the vehicle logs which confirm that this Model X was operating correctly under manual control and was never in Autopilot or cruise control at the time of the incident or in the minutes before. Data shows that the vehicle was traveling at 6 mph when the accelerator pedal was abruptly increased to 100%. Consistent with the driver’s actions, the vehicle applied torque and accelerated as instructed. Safety is the top priority at Tesla and we engineer and build our cars with this foremost in mind. We are pleased that the driver is ok and ask our customers to exercise safe behavior when using our vehicles.”
To which the owner has replied:

Quote:
“My wife is a 45-year-old woman with a great driving record. Not and incapacitated driver. She has been going to that center for over 20 years and parking in the same stalls hundreds of times.
She knows the difference between brake and accelerator pedal. I am waiting to hear from Tesla whether the accelerator pedal can be depressed by the car electronically similar to gas-powered cars’ pedal being depressed on their own while in cruise control.”
Tesla Motors' Forums

Electrek
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2016, 17:34   #39
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Most ,if not all of those videos we see of cars going into buildings are user error.People talking in cell phone or people bending to get some things are the typical reasons.
Old 7th June 2016, 22:05   #40
Senior - BHPian

I think this is user error to be blamed where the driver is trying to blame someone else for their fault. A driver in panic reacts in weird ways and one is freaking out and stamping anything they get.

It's just going to be the drivers word against the data from tesla, here tesla will get away unless found otherwise. Just get the insurance settlement and move on.

Maddy
Old 8th June 2016, 13:34   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
They should be. I just came across this statistic recently. This is what disruption looks like
This statistic is misleading. The sedans and crossovers would have lost volumes to the SUVs. It just cannot be concluded that the volumes just moved to Tesla unless we analyze the volumes of the GL Series, Audi Q series etc along with the car volume data mentioned.
Old 8th June 2016, 14:13   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
I think this is user error to be blamed where the driver is trying to blame someone else for their fault. A driver in panic reacts in weird ways and one is freaking out and stamping anything they get.

It's just going to be the drivers word against the data from tesla, here tesla will get away unless found otherwise. Just get the insurance settlement and move on.

Maddy
Actually, till Tesla comes out with a detailed analysis it means nothing really. What kind of data are they talking about here? Logs? And the log tells that the accelerator was suddenly pressed and the car applied full acceleration (pedal to metal). How do they know that? Well, sensors I guess. Fly by wire technology that makes everything work. A malfunctioning sensor may suddenly send inputs (wrong ones) that accelerator has been applied. Logs are simply reading out that input. It is entirely possible, and Tesla needs to provide stronger evidence if they really believe that the 45 years old lady suddenly did what they are saying she did.

My thought comes from a few possible things that would have happened in this case,
- The car is entering a parking at 6mph = crawling slowly in
- Per Tesla, customer suddenly applied full acceleration
- For the above to happen either the driver has to be bent on committing suicide (probably can negate this) or else has to have suddenly done panic braking (pedal to metal) and in the process ended up stepping on the wrong pedal
- I am not sure at 6mph whether people will do a real panic braking even if something suddenly materializes in front
- Considering that this looks like an enclosed area and not open road that sudden appearance of something in front of the vehicle also looks very remote

Something is not adding up for me here!

Last edited by Zappo : 8th June 2016 at 14:15.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 14:23   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
- I am not sure at 6mph whether people will do a real panic braking even if something suddenly materializes in front
- Considering that this looks like an enclosed area and not open road that sudden appearance of something in front of the vehicle also looks very remote

It doesn't have to be panic braking. Remember the lamborghini accident inside a hotel porch where the valet rammed the cars with other vehicles.

The valet guy had pressed the accelerator just before getting out the car by mistake and the car was in gear.

Incase of Tesla the damn thing is electric so you don't even know the if the car is running or off. If the lady had parked it, forgot to turn it off then when getting off, one foot went on the pedal by mistake and the car climbed up. Also remember electric = instant torque so the car wont even move up gently as there's no torque to build.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 15:17   #44
Senior - BHPian

I have had two heart-in-mouth moments in parking lots in the last few months, entirely due to my mistake.

1. I had gotten off the main road (cruise control was set to 60kmph), disengaged cruise control and entered the parking lot. My speed was probably 10-15kmph (foot was off the A-pedal). Some dirt had fallen on the windscreen while entering the parking lot, so I wanted to clean the windscreen. Pulled the stalk on the left (resume cruise control) instead of the one on the right and the car lunged forward. Thankfully, I was able to brake in time before any damage was done.

2. I was driving around in the parking lot, looking for a free spot. I found one and had to reverse my car a few feet to enter the spot easily. Did that and while in reverse gear, pressed A-pedal instead of B-pedal. Again, thankfully, no one was right behind and I was able to quickly apply the brakes. No, I wasn't trying to commit suicide or murder or panic braking - just a mistake, probably due to lack of concentration.

EDIT: This happened to me in a car that I've been driving for more than a year now. The Model-X that met with the accident was only 5 days old. If the driver was new to the car, it is possible that she could've made a mistake (maybe pedal position or gap between pedals is different from her old car).

Last edited by StarrySky : 8th June 2016 at 15:34.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 21:34   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Actually, till Tesla comes out with a detailed analysis it means nothing really. What kind of data are they talking about here? Logs?

Someone in this loop is lying or not revealing everything. The tesla statement can be taken as PR but the owner and not the driver is making statements where he blames the vehicle. As this vehicle has detailed logs of the last minutes of this vehicle, I feel we probably can get a better understanding if it's investigated.

Could also be a software glitch like the previous autosummon feature crash in Utah. Sometimes too much tech in vehicles are bad. The only reason I give tesla the benefit of doubt is because there are 1000s of vehicles on the road with these features and this is their first incident.

Something's fishy.

Maddy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks