Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2015, 12:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

BMW 3-Series GT facelift spied

After the reveal of the facelifted 3-Series sedan and wagon earlier this year, BMW is set to reveal the 3-Series GT in its refreshed avatar as well. A test mule of the car with a mild amount of camouflage has been spotted and like the other versions of the 3-Series, the GT will get minor updates in the form of revised bumpers, LED daytime running lights, LED tail lights, new alloy wheel designs and new paint shade options.

The interior will feature new metallic and chrome highlights for the controls, air vents and centre console. A colour head-up display and updated navigation system with improved 3D graphics can also be expected, along with new seat upholstery. Powertrain options will be shared with the new 3-Series sedan and wagon, with output figures varying from 114 BHP to 322 BHP.

The car is likely to make its debut in the first half of 2016.

BMW 3-Series GT facelift spied-1.jpg

BMW 3-Series GT facelift spied-2.jpg

BMW 3-Series GT facelift spied-3.jpg

Images via: WorldCarFans
Tushar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 13:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW 3-Series GT facelift spied

BMW 3 Series GT Facelift revealed, gets minor tweaks

BMW has released official images of a mid-life facelift of the 3 Series GT. While changes on the outside are minimal and subtle, the German automaker has made important updates to the mechanicals of the 3 Series Gran Turismo.

The facelift 3 Series GT gets adaptive LED headlights, LED fog lamps, a tauter front grille, redesigned bumper with larger air intakes, and new LED taillights. On the inside, changes are even more minimal. A few switch gears have been changed, while the new 3 Series GT now gets the latest version of BMW's navigation system. Bluetooth connectivity comes as standard across the range.

There are a total of 18 engine, gearbox and drive configurations with the new 3 GT. Engine options on offer include 3 petrol and five diesel units, each of them being turbocharged. BMW claims that the new engines burn up to 14 percent less fuel than the outgoing mills. Power output of the petrol engines range from 184 BHP to 326 BHP, while that of the diesel engines range from 150 BHP to 313 BHP. These engines can be opted with either a Rear Wheel Drive system, or BMW's XDrive All-Wheel Drive system. Transmission options on offer include a conventional manual gearbox, or an 8-speed Steptronic automatic unit.

The new BMW 3 Series GT will be available in three trim levels: Sport Line, Luxury Line and M Sport. Deliveries in the UK will start from this September. BMW India will likely get the facelifted 3 Series GT by the end of 2016, or early 2017.

BMW 3-Series GT facelift spied-p90220380_highres_bmw3seriesgrantu.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 3rd June 2016 at 13:40.
dZired is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 14:37   #3
BHPian

I hope we get the manual transmission in India. Then this will be the first manual transmission BMW in India. Manual transmission with rear wheel drive would be lots of fun.
If we get the manual M2 that would be something.

Last edited by JediKnight : 3rd June 2016 at 14:41.
Old 3rd June 2016, 14:53   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
I hope we get the manual transmission in India. Then this will be the first manual transmission BMW in India. Manual transmission with rear wheel drive would be lots of fun.
I doubt there would be any buyers for the MT. Seems like the whole country is shifting to ATs - thanks to the unbearable traffic especially in cities.

Also, bringing in many variants isn't an economically viable model for all these luxury car makers.
Old 3rd June 2016, 17:29   #5
BHPian

Quote:
While I'm all for BMWs having MTs, the GT would be the last car they'd fit it on. Maybe the 3 series, 1 series or 5 series would be better fits. Specially the 525d/530d/528i
Old 6th June 2016, 16:17   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
I doubt there would be any buyers for the MT. Seems like the whole country is shifting to ATs - thanks to the unbearable traffic especially in cities.

Also, bringing in many variants isn't an economically viable model for all these luxury car makers.
Though i agree there is a trend towards AT in metros but India still remains a largely MT market. And don't ignore the India outside the metros.

Moreover many people in the luxury market are chauffeur driven and i think they will lap up the manuals if available. The gearboxes in many of the Germans have been the weakest link as far as reliability is concerned. Manuals will improve the reliability and the maintenance cost of these vehicles.
Old 6th June 2016, 17:54   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Though i agree there is a trend towards AT in metros but India still remains a largely MT market. And don't ignore the India outside the metros.
There is a small - almost negligible market for luxury cars outside metros (Mercs/BMWs/Audis) except few towns like Kohlapur in Maharashtra or some towns up north.

Quote:
Moreover many people in the luxury market are chauffeur driven and i think they will lap up the manuals if available.
Yes, but these cars are also driven by owners on weekends or holidays and hence AT would be preferable.

Quote:
The gearboxes in many of the Germans have been the weakest link as far as reliability is concerned. Manuals will improve the reliability and the maintenance cost of these vehicles.
The failures you are talking about is in Skoda superb and few VW models which has DSG box (DQ200 to be specific). And we are not talking about these brands here. Such gearbox failure issue is not there in BMWs, Mercs or Audis (even though it uses DSG, never heard of failures).
Old 2nd July 2016, 16:19   #8
BHPian

Quote:
There is a small - almost negligible market for luxury cars outside metros (Mercs/BMWs/Audis) except few towns like Kohlapur in Maharashtra or some towns up north.
Looks like you have not traveled recently inside India. From Lucknow to Raipur to Cochin to Ludhiana BMWs/Audis galore. Significant luxury market is now outside the metros and growing. In the immediate future Tier 2 and Tier 3 cities are going to define this market.
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/49895488.cms

http://www.businessinsider.in/Indias...w/49919916.cms

Quote:
Yes, but these cars are also driven by owners on weekends or holidays and hence AT would be preferable.
Many owners love there manuals. If i drive only on highways it make the case for the manuals even stronger. At least there should be a choice.

Quote:
The failures you are talking about is in Skoda superb and few VW models which has DSG box (DQ200 to be specific). And we are not talking about these brands here. Such gearbox failure issue is not there in BMWs, Mercs
or Audis (even though it uses DSG, never heard of failures).

There are plenty of cases of transmission failures on BMW/Merc/Audis.
A casual search on this forum itself will throw up several instances.
The Germans are notoriously unreliable post 5 years.
My point is a manual transmission removes one very large cause of the unreliability.
The complex mechatronic gearboxes on these cars are near impossible to repair and most of the time have to be replaced.
In some cases that costs more than a C segment sedan.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks