Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2015, 11:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

Chinese researchers develop a mind-controlled car

We've read several reports about how companies like Google, Tesla, BMW, Audi and even Mahindra are developing autonomous cars, that could possibly revolutionize private mobility. Now, it's a research team from China that has developed a mind-controlled car.

A team of researchers from Nankai University, Tianjin, China, have worked on this project for 2 years to bring this mind-controlled car to life. The basic intent behind this project was to help physically challenged people steer the car.

A driver can simply wear an equipment and move the vehicle forward, backwards, halt and lock / unlock the doors, without using his hands / legs. The device isn't as simple as the concept appears to be. A total of 16 sensors captures and translates electroencephalogram (EEG) signals from the driver's brain, inorder to control the car.

The concept is still at a nascent stage and as of now, the vehicle (developed in collaboration with Great Wall Motors) can drive only in a straight line. Since a driver can easily get distracted, avoiding accidents while turning or changing lanes, remains a challenge for the researchers and developers to overcome.

Chinese researchers develop a mind-controlled car-download.jpg

Chinese researchers develop a mind-controlled car-download-1.jpg

Chinese researchers develop a mind-controlled car-download-2.jpg

Chinese researchers develop a mind-controlled car-download-3.jpg

Image and Information Source: Reuters
S2!!! is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 11:25   #2
BHPian

Re: Chinese researchers develop a mind-controlled car

Wow! This is really cool. Telekinesis has always been the forte of God, Deities and super humans, at-least till date. Well, this will change. Mankind is on the path to acquiring God powers
KomS_CarLog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 13:43   #3
BHPian

Amazing technology, only video available on internet.

http://fw.to/UKosxQi
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 16:09   #4
BHPian

On a different note, the Haval H9 SUV does not look bad at all. I just checked out their website http://www.haval-global.com/havalh9.html. In English no less.

I wonder if they have any plans of entering India and maybe undercutting Fortuner, Endeavour, PajeroSport, TrailBlazer massively.
It would be a great machine for 15 lakh rupees. Would decimate XUV and Fortuner (rest are irrelevant) number I would think.

Last edited by GTO : 10th December 2015 at 14:43. Reason: Typo
Old 12th December 2015, 07:42   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
A driver can simply wear an equipment and move the vehicle forward, backwards, halt and lock / unlock the doors, without using his hands / legs.
At last! The kid from VW's Passat commercial should find things easy now.

May the force be with him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asifgrkhan View Post
On a different note, the Haval H9 SUV does not look bad at all. I just checked out their website http://www.haval-global.com/havalh9.html. In English no less.

I wonder if they have any plans of entering India and maybe undercutting Fortuner, Endeavour, PajeroSport, TrailBlazer massively.
It would be a great machine for 15 lakh rupees. Would decimate XUV and Fortuner (rest are irrelevant) number I would think.
Quite a nice SUV I wonder if these Chinese manufacturers intend to enter Indian market soon. Their smartphone counterparts (OnePlus, Xiaomi) have been immensely successful even with the onslaught by various mainstream manufacturers. May be it isn't the same formula, but that can't prevent us from speculating!
Old 12th December 2015, 08:01   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
We've read several reports about how companies like Google, Tesla, BMW, Audi and even Mahindra are developing autonomous cars, that could possibly revolutionize private mobility. Now, it's a research team from China that has developed a mind-controlled car.

Looking at the big picture, where a future beckons in which human beings are no longer are directly involved in their own transportation, I wonder whether this has much more value-add than the autonomous car, specifically an automonous car that has Disabled access.

An exciting prospect, nevertheless. The underlying technology promises to be more scalable beyond mere transportation!

Last edited by theMAG : 12th December 2015 at 08:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks