Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2016, 23:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Uber buys 1,00,000+ Mercedes S-Class!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post

A new technology in the market always follows a top-down strategy. In order to make it more convincing, attractive and faster adoption. S-class stands as a industry leading brand and an epitome of Mercedes engineering. It does look highly probable when you consider all that into equation.
Thanks for sharing more info on S-Class's autonomous driving abilities. very interesting.

All things said, uber makes money by being a better yet reliable alternative to overpriced taxis. Buying 100k S-class is NOT the same direction by a long shot.

If you instead said that they placed an order for Toyota Prius (or some equally mind-numbingly reliable vehicle that is not overloaded with gizmos unnecessary for taxis), then I would've believed the article.

100k S-class? No chance.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 00:16   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Thanks for sharing more info on S-Class's autonomous driving abilities. very interesting.

All things said, uber makes money by being a better yet reliable alternative to overpriced taxis. Buying 100k S-class is NOT the same direction by a long shot.

100k S-class? No chance.
A point i failed to mention in my earlier post was about 'HERE maps'.
The consortium of the German auto trio (Merc,Audi & BMW) now also hold the ownership to HERE maps which uber earlier tried to purchase for its autonomous project development. Maps which are also integral part of the equation may also force them for the same. (Apple and Google maps are out of the equation because of their autonomous projects) . So a car maker partner like mercedes make lot of value (in terms of scale) and sense.

IMO for these reasons it doesn't look far fetched. (Except for may be the number of 1lakh+!)
Old 22nd March 2016, 07:37   #18
Team-BHP Support

I dont think Mercedes would allow 100000 S class's as taxi's, it would impact the brand
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 12:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

Uber has talked of having an autonomous fleet some day where they wouldn't even need drivers. But it is way too early to be buying cars for that. Couldn't really tell from the article when they would buy.

Second option is Uber is buying from Daimler to somehow influence the German government to legalize the Uber model in Germany. Right now they cannot operate. But seems like a price to pay to "buy" that change in government policy.

Third option is Uber is expanding into the car-sharing model. Lyft (which is a competitor with Uber) is now partnering with GM to create a car-sharing offering for GM's new personal mobility brand - Maven.
Old 23rd March 2016, 14:17   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
A point i failed to mention in my earlier post was about 'HERE maps'.
The consortium of the German auto trio (Merc,Audi & BMW) now also hold the ownership to HERE maps which uber earlier tried to purchase for its autonomous project development. So a car maker partner like mercedes make lot of value (in terms of scale) and sense.

IMO for these reasons it doesn't look far fetched. (Except for may be the number of 1lakh+!)
Did not get this point. Do you mean to say that by buying so many number of cars, Uber can consider Daimler as a partner for its projects? I am pretty sure this will not happen. Ownership to Here Maps is just the beginning of something much complex as a technology which is used for any Autonomous driving. I am not sure if you have heard of Electronic Horizon Reconstruction. Google for the same and you will find a few products, none of which are used by Daimler currently. So no way a company like Uber will be involved in Autonomous driving when Industry bigheads are being kept out of the game.

Last edited by audioholic : 23rd March 2016 at 14:19.
Old 14th June 2016, 13:14   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Well it definitely was a rumour;

Quote:
The chief executives of Uber and Mercedes-Benz parent Daimler, who appeared on the same conference panel last week, denied having intentions to either buy out each others' companies or reaching an agreement where the ride-hailing leader would buy 100,000 vehicles from the German automaker
http://www.motor1.com/news/63839/ceo...leet-purchase/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks