Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2016, 08:52   #1
BHPian

Off-the-shelf Supercars of the world

I have been wondering after watching a Motortrend episode. Most of the supercars that are sold are already sold out. Case in point, the Laferrari, McLaren 675, P1.

So my question to the car loving junta is ---
Which are the supercars or premium sports cars of the world which are readily available for booking?

I mean the showroom guy shouldn't tell "sorry sir! they are already sold out"!!

With my limited information, I think the 911 Turbos, GT3RS, 918 (??), 'Vette, GTRs, etc are available readily, provided you have the moolah. 488s and Hyuracans should be included. I am not sure.

I plan to make a list which then can be sorted as per their 0 to 100s or lateral gs. Whats the point, you may ask. Well, no point basically. Just interest.

Last edited by GTO : 19th April 2016 at 16:34. Reason: Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this. Thanks
Valkyrie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2016, 09:58   #2
BHPian

re: Off-the-shelf Supercars of the world

I understand your question that what cars are available off the shelf. And the answer is all of the cars that the company can afford to keep stock of. But let me first explain why limited editions are made and why some supercars are sold out completely.

Buggati made the Veyron which was supposed to be the ultimate supercar of staggering numbers. But the cost of development and the cost of materials is so high that they cannot just make the car and keep it readily available in the showrooms for rich kids to walk-in and get one. What if the market is not willing to buy one. They wont risk having a million dollar supercar rusting away. And what if they even put it in the showrooms. People will say, "yeah, I like the car but let me wait for a friend of mine to take delivery, post an ownership review to me and then I will buy. It's not like the car will go anywhere".

To address all these troubles at the same time, they make them as "limited editions" and one of only 150 ever built. The response is overwhelmingly good and there are more potential owners maybe in 100's. So, they think, "good, there are more people. So, let me make some more. But I cannot call them the same because people will loose trust". So, they add a stripe, slightly bigger turbo and they call it as Buggati Veyron Supersport. And only 50 will ever be made (all numbers are figurative and do not denote the exact quantity).

Then buggatti earned more fame and more people wanted to put down their investment. So, they add forged pistons and better cooling system and re-designed head, make the body out of naked carbon fiber and they call it Buggatti Veyron Super Sport Grand Vitesse. And only 50 of them will eve be built. And 10 of them are sold. The remaining 40 are yet to be sold because Ferrari LaFerrari, McLaren P1, Porsche 918 have come to the scene and people cancelled the booking for their Buggatti. So now, Buggati is making the Chiron, in blunt terms a Buggatti Veyron facelift. Why. Because the accountants at Buggati realized that you just can't keep on making limited editions as if it were a continuous production. Buggatti lost exclusivity and people started thinking, "yeah, one model of the veyron or the other will always be there. So, never mind, I will buy when I feel like it".

Lesson learnt for every car maker and so Ferrari LaFerrari, Porsche 918 and McLaren P1 are limited editions. They wont make another of those models unless the demand is so high that the profits made out of it will justify the cost of sacrifice of exclusivity.

So, if you and 50 of your friends can get in touch with Ferrari and express interest in LaFerrari, there might be another edition called Ferrari LaFerrari Track edition. And only 25 will ever be built.
aveemashfaq is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th April 2016, 10:37   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: Off-the-shelf Supercars of the world

Further, I'm also curious about how many owners of these supercars are first owners of their cars.

A casual glance at the supercar thread talks about how "this guy's car was with that chap and is now owned by that guy". I'd imagine, the unimaginably elite are invited by these manufacturers or are intimated of an impending launch; and the elite buy off of them when they find a better toy.

If these supercars were to be available off the shelf, they'd lose the exclusivity. Most buy it for the snob value and that solely depends on how "rare" the car is.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 17th April 2016 at 10:40.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2016, 10:55   #4
BHPian

Off the shelf Supercars of the world..

Agreed (mostly)
Most of the supercars are limited in their run because of the following reasons:
1) exclusivity.
2) cost of making CFRP is unlike steel/aluminium which dicates higher producation volumes for economical sense. CFRP makes economical sense for a lower run.
3) not many people buy them anyway
4) special editions are just to finish off the last pieces of vehicles squeezed out from the tools.
5) most of them are marketing strategies to showcase technical prowess, eg. GTR

There are lot of planning/design/sourcing required even for a nip and tuck jobs. But i have not asked the questions for why supercars are limited run.

Question is which of them are available for anyone. I am sure even if you had the money you couldnt buy a Laferrari as ferrari will choose you. I will start the list.

1) Porsche 911 range
2) Chevrolet Corvette
3) Nissan GTR

Last edited by Valkyrie : 17th April 2016 at 10:59.
Valkyrie is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks