Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2016, 07:33   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford believes fake engine noise will save fuel!

Well! The converse is also true right? Say you are driving the car on an open road and there is this nice sound from the engine, there is a good chance that you will let the rpm climb a bit more than usual to hear the engine note a bit more.

That said, there are two kinds of fake engine/ exhaust sounds now.
  1. The one where additional plumbing/ valves are used to create extra sound when needed. ex: Jaguar F Type.
  2. The one where engine/ exhaust note is amplified using the car's audio system. ex: BMW M5.

I am okay with the first one, but the second is a strict no no and a complete fake. The first will cost a bit of fuel though!
deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 10:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

At least some car owners (such as me) would prefer to spend some additional money on petrol now, rather than spending on a hearing aid after 50 years of age!
jinojohnt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 14:09   #18
BHPian

What next:-
Fake Speedometers to control speed, fake oil indicators to prevent fuel pump damage.

If anybody is concerned on increasing fuel efficiency, rest assured he would not depend on engine noise alone.
saion666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 16:05   #19
D C
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatrody View Post
Ford Believes Fake Engine Noises Will Save Fuel

With the 1.0L EcoBoost engine, for instance, Ford has found that many drivers “shift by ear” instead of watching the tachometer.
Seriously? I thought most people shift as a reflex to the power they feel.

I personally feel that shifting on-time alone will not improve the fuel efficiency on a manual car that is driven by a bad driver. It takes some experience to achieve an optimal fuel efficiency.

If Ford is serious about this, they should provide an audio visual shift indicator.

And, after the modification, if the Ford sounds like a Ferrari, it will encourage drivers to floor the accelerator unnecessarily and decrease the fuel efficiency instead

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks