Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2006, 12:59   #1
Team-BHP Support

Rolls Vs Bentley - amusing article

Bentley v Rolls: Battle of the luxury brands
VW is gearing up for a challenge from BMW in the luxury 'British' car market. So who will come out on top? Lauren Veevers reports
Published: 15 October 2006

When Wayne Rooney decided to give his girlfriend Colleen a new car last week there was only one choice: not a Rolls-Royce, but a Bentley Continental GT, prestige shopmobile to the rich and ostentatious from Bayswater to Beverly Hills.

Once the premier marque for the rich and regal, Rolls-Royce has been reduced to a niche car-making rump of the all-conquering German manufacturer BMW. But now it plans to fight back with the cheapest Rolls-Royce cars ever produced in a bid to grab a new market.read on here
Old 15th October 2006, 13:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

Price-war amongst the luxury brands.The benefits of competetion.
Old 15th October 2006, 23:16   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Who wouldnt want a Mercedes with Honda reliability? Similarly...why would anyone say no to a Rolls thats engineered by BMW? Beemer surely has far superior resources (financial, technological etc.) so a Phantom made by them is way superior to any outdated piece of crap that the British owners made. I experienced the Phantom very recently, and can confidently say that the Phantom is what RR is supposed to be all about.

Bentleys...well, they really arent in the same league.
Old 31st October 2006, 15:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

There's a Rolls Silver Seraph, blue colour, in Mumbai now.
Old 31st October 2006, 16:18   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
outdated piece of crap
No offense GTO, but I'm seriously surprised at your statement, considering you love to drive a C Class (so you understand the value of a prestiege brand), and a Mahindra Classic (so you appreciate that "outdated" can also be considered "classic/timeless").

RR are more than just cars. The new one is brilliant for sure, but I wouldn't look down upon a century of some of the greatest vehicles ever produced.
Old 31st October 2006, 17:04   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sure Boom, but the C Class isnt outdated. And the Mahindra isnt a prestige brand.

Its the Rolls of the not so distant past (NOT the entire century) that mix the two. Outdated and Prestige. Surprisingly, many british journalists also have shared the same view.

My point is...whats wrong with a Rolls thats engineered by BMW? Thats the only way for them to have modern levels of technology and refinement in the Phantom. Independently, it would be impossible for them to garner up the funds required for something of such magnitude.
Old 31st October 2006, 17:17   #7
BANNED

Ah ok. I thought you meant every single Rolls ever produced.

I agree about BMW-RR. They've done a fantastic job on the Phantom.
Old 31st October 2006, 19:19   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

well dont forget rolls royce bought out the low priced 20/25 models in the 20s (coincidence?!), also known as the baby rolls, to keep itself from folding up, what with the depression and all...then bought bentley, which, lets face it, did provide considerable technical know how, slowly but steadily...so a stepfather for rolls royce, bringing in change isnt a bad thing....so on paper, alls good....its another thing that im talking a long time swallowing the new phantom, even after having a go in one...but im positive theyll grow on us in time...
Old 31st October 2006, 19:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

It doesn't make sense for Rolls to come with a cheaper car.Today what Rolls stands for is the pride and prestige associated with it.Rolls has long gone of the track as far as the vision of its founder was concerned.And with BMW they dosent need money to stay afloat

They wanted to make the most refined and reliable road cars,which rolls today arent.so instead of diluting the brand why dont they just concentrate on making cars like their founders(Henry and Charles) wanted to.

Last edited by merve_extreme : 31st October 2006 at 19:28.
Old 31st October 2006, 21:54   #10
BHPian

well, merve
it's not that bmw needs the money but more money is always good. they mare making the model because there is a segment that there is a lot of potential in. but it is too upscale for the bmw brand so instead, they are luring(trying rather) people by using the rolls name. kinda like mercedes-banz with maybach.
Old 31st October 2006, 21:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

I cant wait, I think rolls needs 4-5 different model and make about 5k cars a year..BMW is in the business of making money and not just creating a niche name with no cars selling. BMW, Maybach really need to revisit what the cars are priced at today...Anyhow..

I think what roller needs is phantom coupe, phantom convert(both coming out soon). a Baby roller in the 200-225k range with a coupe and a convert to compete with the contitental series of bentley. so they need to add about 5 different models and i am sure as time passed by we will see them all, BMW is just starting to realise to allow rolls to cont they need to make it more profitable..

bentley/VW realised this a long time back and hence we will see a bentley SUV too soon...as we did the continental series..

Last edited by 1Day : 31st October 2006 at 21:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks