Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2016, 00:02   #1
Team-BHP Support

Mercedes-Benz X-Class pick-up truck concept unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Tomorrow the concept will be 'presented'
And here it is, the Official Trailer of the Mercedes X class concept -

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 26th October 2016 at 00:03.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 07:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Mercedes' 1st Pickup Truck coming up! EDIT: Concept revealed

Two 'near-production' concepts of the new X-Class were revealed yesterday.

Powerful Explorer - AMG GT meets a G-Wagen. Looks amazing.
Mercedes-Benz X-Class pick-up truck concept unveiled-kwgrakbeqiv4juptyaka.jpg
Mercedes-Benz X-Class pick-up truck concept unveiled-j880b1dml5fykvabvls2.jpg
Mercedes-Benz X-Class pick-up truck concept unveiled-zxalorwr8to6cetozqkx.jpg
Mercedes-Benz X-Class pick-up truck concept unveiled-sgm97rsb7bkoi3rl2kh0.jpg

Stylish Adventurer
Mercedes-Benz X-Class pick-up truck concept unveiled-vkrk4mzrh2kys1ajio24.jpg
Mercedes-Benz X-Class pick-up truck concept unveiled-qvxp3no7ppowrht22nso.jpg
Mercedes-Benz X-Class pick-up truck concept unveiled-nhie4a0ngv7on4sbdo7x.jpg

The production-spec will look like some kind of confluence of the two, but the basic shapes and dimensions are all there.

Source

Last edited by deetjohn : 26th October 2016 at 07:16. Reason: Adding better pics.
deetjohn is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 11:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes-Benz X-Class pick-up truck concept unveiled

Mercedes-Benz has taken the veils off its pick-up truck concept, named the X-Class. This is Mercedes' first attempt at making a pick-up truck. Two concept variants have been revealed - the Powerful Adventurer and the Stylish Explorer. While the former has been designed to possess classic pick-up strengths, the latter adds Mercedes' luxurious characteristics to the package. The X-Class pick-up will go on sale later in 2017, with Europe, Latin America, South Africa, and Australia being its key markets.

The Mercedes X-Class has jointly been developed under a contract between Daimler AG and the Renault-Nissan Alliance. It borrows the same platform that underpins the Nissan Navara and Renault Alaskan. Under this contract, Renault-Nissan will be made responsible for production of the X-Class at Nissan plant in Barcelona, Spain. This plant will be catering to the European, Australian and South African markets. For the Latin American market, the X-Class will be produced at Renault's plant in Argentina. Once launched, the pick-up will be sold through Mercedes's passenger car division.

The Mercedes Concept X-Class gets a large grille housing the three-star logo, and the company’s latest headlamp lineage. On the Adventurer version, the bumper gets a scuff plate and a winch that signifies its off-road tackling capabilities. On the other hand, the Explorer gets a toned down front bumper design, less bulgy wheel arches and 22-inch alloy wheels. Both the concept versions feature dual cab construction with a loading bay at the rear. Mercedes claims that the concept X-Class with the ladder-type frame has a payload capacity of 1.1 tonne and can tow up to 3.5 tonne.

The interiors borrow design cues from various other Mercedes models. As a result, it gets a floating infotainment display, circular AC vents and touch-pad controls for the infotainment system. The designers have used Nappa leather, wood veneers, and polished aluminium in the cabin. Mercedes has claimed that the production-spec X-Class will come with various safety features and driver assistance systems. The automaker will be equipping the production model with its existing cameras, radar and ultrasound sensor-based technologies.

Both concepts are powered by a V6 diesel engine along with Mercedes' 4MATIC all-wheel drive system. It also gets an off-road ratio transfer case and differential locks for both axles. This very setup will be used in the top-end production model. Meanwhile, the lower trims will get a range of four-cylinder petrol and diesel engines.

Concept X-Class Powerful Adventure

Mercedes-Benz X-Class pick-up truck concept unveiled-16c964_18_d328541.jpg

Mercedes-Benz X-Class pick-up truck concept unveiled-16c964_19_d328542.jpg

Mercedes-Benz X-Class pick-up truck concept unveiled-16c964_21_d328544.jpg

Concept X-Class Stylish Explorer

Mercedes-Benz X-Class pick-up truck concept unveiled-16c964_08_d328532.jpg

Mercedes-Benz X-Class pick-up truck concept unveiled-16c964_09_d328533.jpg

Mercedes-Benz X-Class pick-up truck concept unveiled-16c964_12_d328536.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 27th October 2016 at 11:49.
dZired is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 14:27   #4
BHPian

Re: Mercedes-Benz X-Class pick-up truck concept unveiled

Premium yet lifestyle utility vehicle. I wonder how this concept will evolve as production version and where it will be positioned. Will it compete with Ford Raptor or Dodge Ram or create a complete new segment?
amitahirrao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 20:36   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitahirrao View Post
Premium yet lifestyle utility vehicle. I wonder how this concept will evolve as production version and where it will be positioned. Will it compete with Ford Raptor or Dodge Ram or create a complete new segment?
Though this Pick up truck is based on the Nissan Navara (which competes with Toyota Hilux, Ford Ranger) the X Class is expected to create a new segment all together & after it does it will wait for BMW & Audi to make their move
karan561 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 01:40   #6
BHPian

I saw an instagram video earlier today. Boy oh boy, this looked something else. It was the green coloured one with them heavy duty tyres. Cant wait for them to launch this baby and bring it to India. Just hope they don't price it around 2 cr, which i think they potentially could. Nonetheless, this might just grace quite a few Team-BHP garages and hopefully mine too
mijnoirhammer67 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 08:00   #7
BHPian

When Pickup Trucks get Classy!
The right amount of aggression and mean looks and yet Mercedes has managed to keep things suave and proportionate. The massive dominant grill at the front with that huge Benz logo looks nothing but brute!!
For someone like me who has just read the Isuzu V Cross review on our forum this X class with almost identical physique and the long overhanging rear bed it looks like the V Cross for the uber rich!

If BMW and Audi were to follow Mercedes's steps I would love to see a pickup truck with the iconic face and grills of a Beamer!

Last edited by Skyline_GT : 28th October 2016 at 08:06. Reason: Adding Content
Skyline_GT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 08:56   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Wow! Absolute Wow! This thing is the right blend of tough, aggressive looks and sheer class.
And another Big Wow to those monster tyres!

Im sure once it comes out, there'll be lot of 'em buzzing about in the UAE/ GCC, USA and similar places where people just love 'em Pickup trucks!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 10:22   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Wow! Absolute Wow! This thing is the right blend of tough, aggressive looks and sheer class.
And another Big Wow to those monster tyres!

Im sure once it comes out, there'll be lot of 'em buzzing about in the UAE/ GCC, USA and similar places where people just love 'em Pickup trucks!
Like most of us, i also believed that this might be a hit in the USA. But was surprised at this news bit from Motortrend.

I was like . Why would they miss the biggest potential market of trucks.

Quote:
Mercedes expects the X-Class to sell well in a number of countries including Australia where the automaker says midsize trucks account for 14.1 percent of auto sales. The truck will also be sold in South America, South Africa, and Europe. For now, there are no plans to bring the X-Class to North America.
Source:
http://www.motortrend.com/news/merce...debuts-sweden/

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th October 2016 at 11:45. Reason: Putting quote in quote box :)
rohitoasis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 11:43   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

My goodness, what a great looking pickup truck. Mercedes' design department is on an absolute roll, isn't it? Every new launch from them has worn stunning clothes.

Hard to believe that, in the 80s, Mercedes was only about the E-Class, S-Class & 190. In the 90s, it was again primarily 3 sedans (C to S-Class). Then came the M-Class, followed by hatchbacks, smaller sedans (CLA), more SUVs and what not.

A pickup truck was the only body style left. And they sure have entered it with a bang.

Mercedes will obviously go for the higher end of the pickup segment, where luxury matters more than utility (5 passenger crew cab + short bed is a dead giveaway). And whatever Mercedes says right now, it will definitely be launched in the USA - the largest pickup market in the world. Ford & Chevrolet already sell many pickups costing well over $50,000.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 14:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

If I could only own cars from just one manufacturer, it'd have to be Mercedes!

The G Wagons, the 2-doors, the convertibles, the hatchbacks, the 6x6s, the Pullmans...and now the pickups, more than anything I think this manufacturer deserves respect for the diversity it brings to a customer and doesn't give him much reason to be disloyal to the brand.

Coming back to topic - While it could be the best looking pickup, it'd never match up to Fords n Chevys simply because of its price.

I wonder though, is there really such a thing as luxury pickup segment?
fine69 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 16:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

I must be totally out of whack in terms of appreciating car design. I saw the pics of X Class in Jalopnik before they were published here. And I thought what a horrendous looking vehicle and how on earth would people buy it!
Clearly I am not in sync with times.

Last edited by rrsteer : 28th October 2016 at 16:19.
rrsteer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 17:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

The X-Class definitely looks classy and just like the current generation Merc's, is full on style. But to me Ford Raptor still holds the crown when it comes to pick-up truck.

2017 Raptor
Mercedes-Benz X-Class pick-up truck concept unveiled-2017fordraptorsupercrewblueside_1040.jpg
PrideRed is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 17:31   #14
BHPian

I don't think MB will price it too expensive, that will out price them from the pick-up truck market. Yes the pricing will stretch exorbitantly to the higher variants for sure but the starting price may not be even close to G Wagon. The MB purists might hate it though.
Old 28th October 2016, 17:43   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quite an interesting launch.

The article mentions the X Class will be popular in Australia. The fact is that dual cab pickups/utes are quite popular in Australia, and are competing strong with traditional SUVs as the primary family car. It's quite common to see families dropping off kids at school in dual cab utes which are modified for purpose - to go off-road and not for the bling factor. Clearly, these are purpose driven than looks driven.

It would be interesting to see if the X-Class spawns off a new segment of utes which are all bling and never leave the bitumen. The fact that this is based off the Nissan Navara - a utilitarian ute, would probably go against it.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks