Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2006, 19:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Well BMW has done it again. Spoilt another car (All new 3 series HardTop Convert Rel)

Let me start by saying, I am such a big fan of BMWs but lately they have been going down hill, the last generation of BMWs were awesome..perfect for the time and their 5 series still looks perfectly aged...Well then came the new set...7, 5, 6, 3...

In the begining..I didnt like the 7, but wow, it grew on to me in no time and I claim that its the best looking car in its class and nothing even comes close..(well the new S does, but the 7 still remains a macho looker)

Anyhow then came 5...it was a disappointment..didnt like its style from the side and back..the front was marvelous...then the 6...its a nice looker, but there are better designs in its class...then came the worst of the lot 3 series..given its sedan having an extreemly boring design, it was still tolerable..then I saw the pictures of the coupe..cant say it any other way...just plain HATED it..saw it in flesh...HATED it even more...was at one time my all time favourite.

Now BMW goes ahead and releases a hard top convertable of the 3 series and when I thought it couldnt get any worse..it just did...WOW, they are really boring and ugly cars...

I am quite pissed off at BMW for it, but who cares...when you have the new awesomely styled (2nd Gen 2007)G35 and IS on the block who cares about the 3...But the sad part is people will still be making the 3 series the highest seller in its class just because its a BMW and they want to be seen in an expensive car and not the best overall..

But I have to say, I still like the idea of a hard top in its class..thats a nice touch...
And now I give you the Hard Top 3 Series Convert

Last edited by 1Day : 24th October 2006 at 19:27.
Old 24th October 2006, 19:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey looks quite alrite to me....but looks can be subjective....so to each his own. I didn't like any of the bangled bmws initially, but they've all grown on me now...

Drifter
Old 24th October 2006, 19:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter
Hey looks quite alrite to me....but looks can be subjective....so to each his own. I didn't like any of the bangled bmws initially, but they've all grown on me now...

Drifter
Yes I agree looks are subjective, but you said it..its alright..is that what you expecting from BMW?

I mean they are suppose to be great lookers, they always have been...(anyhow i still dont think it looks any good..)

Anyhow it will still be a very rewarding drive..great handler..but just give japanese another generation and they will catch up in that respect too..

Anyhow I dont think I will ever get use to these designs, since I have not gotten use to any desgin from BMW afte r the 7..

6 and 5 I can tolerate but would never buy them and now the 3 I wouldnt care for until I see what the next gen has in store for us..3 is just too boring..

Last edited by 1Day : 24th October 2006 at 19:50.
Old 24th October 2006, 19:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

Dont worry i think just like with the other bmws, this design will look just right in about a year from now.

Drifter
Old 24th October 2006, 21:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

I think it's a good looking car & as Drifter mentioned looks are a very subjective factor. I quite happen to like the Bangled designs and really like the 5 too especially in M5 guise. I know I'm in the minority but if people can actually like & buy designs like the Pontiac Aztek & Renault Vel Satis (I quite like the Renault) it really is a marmite kind of situation. Everyone has their own preferences.

And yes it'll be a hoot to drive with great handling, dynamice, feel & an engine to die for. Japanese car makers though still have some way to go before they catch up with brands like Porsche & BMW in all these fields.

Also regarding your comment on people making it the highest selling car just because its BMW is not really right. Why do enthusiasts still buy BMW's? Simply because despite the looks they still are one of the finest driving cars in the world. The combination of Engine, Chassis tuning, Suspension setup etc. is still matched by very few other car makers. Look at the current IS even the latest generation is universally accepted as being inferior to the 3 as a driving tool and that counts for a lot. Brand appeal has it value but it's not everything in today's market, the consumer is much smarter than that. If that was not the case the Jag X-type (just as an example) would have been a smash hit!
Old 24th October 2006, 21:35   #6
BHPian

O.k I got a different view from my friend regarding the new BMW design and looks.It's just a opinion..So pls don't jump on me :-(

most of us agree that the last gen BMW look great.But what he claims is the latest gen BMW design will attract/aimed at people at much younger generation (20-24 age) rather than above 27 age.(I am 27 :-( . so that includes me.).
This Generation gap is the reason people are not able to digest the latest design and looks.As every one have their own version of "The pefect car" and as per the Marketting team they tend to looks forward the future market rather than the current generation.

I personally disagree this Marketting concept itself as people need money to buy the car and i am sure the 20-24 age groups people may not able to afford the BMW mostly.but just posting this here to get the view of fellow Bhpians..

What do you guys think ?..Does it make Sense (It doesn't make sense to me atleast? ).He claims this the latest trend in the Marketting to look for future market rather than current Market ?..MBA people pls reply !
Old 24th October 2006, 21:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

I think the younger generation is richer than you think....look at 1day....he's pretty young if i remember correctly and he owns a corvette...which i dont think is in the cheaper segment of cars.

But what the new designs really aim at is that they should look contemporary and modern in the years to come....and if you look at it that way, they have succeeded.

True their designs take a bit of time to get used to....but this is the new generation....and we will get used to them just like we have, to the 7, 6, 5 series. I think all these cars look great.

Lets just say, the older generation BMW had its own charm....and so does this.

Drifter
Old 24th October 2006, 22:10   #8
BHPian

drifter and Now we know why our dads and Gradpas not showing that much interest in our gen cars :-) .
Old 24th October 2006, 22:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

haha put to good effect.

Drifter
Old 26th October 2006, 02:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Can't wait for e90 M3...yayayayayayayayay! V888888
Old 26th October 2006, 06:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

It differers from the coupe because the rear windsheild is not wraparound.
Its hard to do in a hard top convertible.
Old 28th October 2006, 02:59   #12
BHPian

Wow! when did this happen? Everyone is coming up with a hard top convertible now. Yeah, this one's not a looker. But then again there are very few hard top convertibles that look good with the top on.
Old 28th October 2006, 06:53   #13
BANNED

When you have a hard one, then topless is the way to go!

I am much of a 'haters of Bangled BMWs' member. After seeing those in flesh, it made me become a permanent member of this club.
These bangled ones make you go Aww the first time you see it and then Ughhh!!
I know of many who've decided not to buy BMW just bcoz of the design.

The car above is in the same category too.
Old 28th October 2006, 15:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

BMW did not want to mess around much with the favourite car from its stable. The design is understated and its no "look-at-me" car as the bangled ones are. But anyway, Bangled or not, they still rock, get behind the wheel first!
Old 29th October 2006, 07:03   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day
Let me start by saying, I am such a big fan of BMWs but lately they have been going down hill, the last generation of BMWs were awesome..perfect for the time and their 5 series still looks perfectly aged...Well then came the new set...7, 5, 6, 3...

In the begining..I didnt like the 7, but wow, it grew on to me in no time and I claim that its the best looking car in its class and nothing even comes close..(well the new S does, but the 7 still remains a macho looker)

Anyhow then came 5...it was a disappointment..didnt like its style from the side and back..the front was marvelous...then the 6...its a nice looker, but there are better designs in its class...then came the worst of the lot 3 series..given its sedan having an extreemly boring design, it was still tolerable..then I saw the pictures of the coupe..cant say it any other way...just plain HATED it..saw it in flesh...HATED it even more...was at one time my all time favourite.

Now BMW goes ahead and releases a hard top convertable of the 3 series and when I thought it couldnt get any worse..it just did...WOW, they are really boring and ugly cars...

I am quite pissed off at BMW for it, but who cares...when you have the new awesomely styled (2nd Gen 2007)G35 and IS on the block who cares about the 3...But the sad part is people will still be making the 3 series the highest seller in its class just because its a BMW and they want to be seen in an expensive car and not the best overall..

But I have to say, I still like the idea of a hard top in its class..thats a nice touch...
And now I give you the Hard Top 3 Series Convert

Looks can really be subjective... i dont know if you've seen it for real... everytime i look at the car my heart melts.. this car is just awesome... i think what you've posted is a 335i conv... ive driven the coupe... trust me it goes like stint its a twin turbo and awesome torque... BMW cant get wrong with their 3 series line up... its their bread & butter...

1 day do you watch Top gear by any chance??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks