Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2018, 21:32   #16
BHPian

Re: Volvo to stop developing new diesel engines

Volvo confirms end of it’s diesel engines.

Volvo to stop developing new diesel engines-c93364acc54548c0b767dc3f6571ee9b.jpeg

Volvo to stop developing new diesel engines-a69c39b75ee944bf924b202928b5dcb6.jpeg

Volvo to stop developing new diesel engines-c50f86c73b174afcba418de1af22c51f.jpeg

Volvo to stop developing new diesel engines-d65813049f4b4cb6bd335471a564ba27.jpeg

Volvo to stop developing new diesel engines-a9112cb103ef4b2ba088464dc1ba40ce.jpeg

Volvo to stop developing new diesel engines-7c4469853b14401a82b85c313d41a0a0.jpeg

Volvo to stop developing new diesel engines-925dd568cb634ee2a65b20fe4e47af9f.jpeg

Source: CarThrottle - Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/carthrottle/?hl=en
Prathiiik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2018, 06:48   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Great move. Unless Bosch’s recent claim about getting NOX levels down drastically is proven, diesels will vanish from developed markets in 5-7 years. Even if Bosch’s technology works, their role in Dieselgate (does anyone believe for a minute that they didn’t know what the software they developed would be used for, or didn’t know that the engines would not meet norms) puts a very heavy burden to prove their claims. And China is moving even faster than the West towards electrification as Xi has realised that rich people will no longer tolerate dirty air in their cities.

Will the same happen in India? Perhaps not - we have the most polluted air in the world by a mile, but people who don’t care for others. But perhaps the Supreme Court will force us down the same path. Diesel sales will keep falling and in the next 4-5 years, resale value for diesel cars will crash.

As usual, I got my timing exactly wrong - buying my first ever diesel car last year. The only excuse I have is that there was no petrol option until the day on which I finalised my order.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th May 2018 at 10:38. Reason: Typo.
Hayek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2018, 14:57   #18
Senior - BHPian

Next-gen Volvo S60 won't get a diesel engine

The new Volvo S60, which is expected to be launched later this year, will be the first Volvo to come without any diesel engine.

Last year, Volvo announced that it would not be developing any new diesel engines for the next-generation of cars. They have also confirmed that from 2019 onwards, the Swedish carmaker would be making only hybrids and electric cars.

The Volvo S60 is based on the company’s Scalable Product Architecture (SPA) platform, which underpins 90 and 60 series cars. The sedan will be available with a range of 4-cylinder petrol engines and two plug-in hybrids. Mild hybrid versions of the car will be launched next year.

The S60 will be manufactured at the Charleston, South Carolina plant in the USA and will be exported to other countries.

Volvo to stop developing new diesel engines-5.jpeg

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by blackwasp : 19th May 2018 at 15:00.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2018, 20:27   #19
BANNED

It is very sad to hear that most of the companies are closing the diesel operations. I am a huge fan of the high torque offered by diesel engines, although the free reving petrol engines are also fun to drive but nothing can match a good diesel engine out on the highways. I think we are the last generation which will be having fun driving these oil burning beasts.
oil_burner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2018, 23:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

I find this kind of virtue signalling irritating, the S60 isn't popular in Europe where SUVs are all the rage and wagons are in demand. The V60 wagon has a diesel engine and because US and China are sedan markets where diesel isn't popular, Volvo isn't offering diesel. It's a bean counter call, nothing to do with saving the planet.

Smaller engines on large cars is a recipe for bad fuel economy, Volvo is good at creating positive press. I am yet to see a review where they say anything positive about the Volvo's engines.
Old 20th May 2018, 09:52   #21
BHPian

Long distance drivers will argue that we don’t have the infrastructure to go electric yet, and they are right.

However, for someone like me who will almost never do more than 150-200km per stretch and will usually do 25km per stretch, the electric option is truly enticing. I drive diesel Volvos (one is a d3 and one is a d4) and I love their torque and refinement. My only electric experience was with a tesla model x that I drove from San Fran to LA. I would choose the electric over the oil burner any day of the week.

Give me the option to buy the new xc40 in its pure electric form for less than 45L and ill go running to the bank.
reihem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2018, 10:07   #22
Senior - BHPian

What prevents Indian car makers from adopting such a stand? Electrification is not rocket science and you have the option of integrating motors and batteries from the best.

Creating hybrids might be little complicated but if someone offers a add-on clutch at crank shaft (similar to how AMTs are being done today), it might ease some pain. The will is lacking on both car makers and govt and its sad since its taking a heavy toll on the health of people
Old 19th September 2023, 18:53   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Volvo to end all diesel model production by early 2024.

Diesel-powered Volvos went from having the majority stake in 2019 to becoming extinct in 2024.

Quote:
In a few months from now, the last diesel-powered Volvo car will have been built, making Volvo Cars one of the first legacy car makers to take this step
Quote:
Volvo cited changing market demand, tighter emission regulations, and their focus on electrification as the main reasons behind their decision to axe diesel engines. While diesels emit less CO2 compared to petrol engines, they emit more nitrogen oxide (NOx) which has a negative effect on air quality
Volvo has pledged to become an EV-only brand by 2030 and aims to achieve carbon neutrality by 2040.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 19th September 2023 at 18:55.
Old 27th March 2024, 17:06   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Volvo kills the diesel engine forever.

This XC90 is the last Volvo ever built with a diesel engine.

The next step is to end the production of vehicles powered by combustion engines altogether. Although other luxury brands such as Mercedes and Bentley have pushed back their overly ambitious EV targets, Volvo is sticking by its plan to go completely electric by the end of the decade.

Link:

Last edited by volkman10 : 27th March 2024 at 17:07.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 00:08   #25

Volvo sends the last XC90 to the World of Volvo museum. They might as well be signalling the world that the diesel ICE belongs there than the public roads. Incidentally Volvo hasn't stopped any of their diesel Trucks. It may still continue for the foreseeable future.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks