Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2017, 12:15   #1
BHPian

One-off​ Rolls Royce "Sweptail" for $13 million

Rolls Royce unveiled the one-off "Sweptail" at the Concorso d'Elanganza in Italy yesterday. It is a one-off built for a car collector who wanted a two door coupe with a sweeping glass roof. The car has been in development since 2013 and costs a whopping $13 Million.

Car costs a whopping ₹83.90 crore rupees with today's conversion rate. The dude who paid a total of 100 crores for fancy single digit registration numbers (7 & 9 I think) for his two Rollers in Dubai could've bought this instead.

Personally IMHO the design is beautiful but the silver accents on the bumpers kinda spoil it a little.

The grandeur, scale, flamboyance and drama of the 1925 Phantom I Round Door built by Jonckheere; the svelte tapering glasshouse, dramatic dash to axle proportion and up-sweep of the rear departure angle of the 1934 Phantom II Streamline Saloon by Park Ward; the elegantly falling waist-rail, swept tail coachwork of the 1934 Gurney Nutting Phantom II Two Door Light Saloon, and the flowing roofline, rising departure angle, and again the swept tail coachwork of the 1934 Park Ward 20/25 Limousine Coupé were all considered by today’s Rolls-Royce designers in the creation of this very distinctive motor car.

Adding a few article links:

* Jalopnik

* Forbes

* Rolls Royce press release

Now a few pics:

IMAGE SOURCE
One-off​ Rolls Royce "Sweptail" for  million-images-2.jpg

Image Source
One-off​ Rolls Royce "Sweptail" for  million-unnamed-3.jpg

One-off​ Rolls Royce "Sweptail" for  million-unnamed.jpg

IMAGE SOURCE
One-off​ Rolls Royce "Sweptail" for  million-unnamed-1.jpg

IMAGE SOURCE
One-off​ Rolls Royce "Sweptail" for  million-images-3.jpg

MODS: Did not find any thread regarding the same hence created a new one.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th May 2017 at 16:44. Reason: As requested
Shanksta is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 12:26   #2
BHPian

Anyone else feels that the back destroys an otherwise beautiful looking car. Not a big fan of the front either but it still doesn't look half as bad as the back.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 12:50   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: One-off​ Rolls Royce "Sweptail" for $13 million

It almost feels like the rear should stand on a jetty while the front should be on the land.. a rear that resembles a motor boat for the most part with a normal RR hood and front passenger compartment.

With cars like this its almost never about style or proportions, its about making a statement, that unique design is what every billionaire would call the "get lost I've too much to even bother" statement.

As for Rolls Royce straying away from what they do best, ah well, it started with the Ghost, the upcoming SUV version, the Wraith, why not this as well? Today its variety that sells and I'm sure more than a few billionaires are waiting in line for the next showstopper in any aspect of life.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 13:13   #4
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

A "Boat Tail" with a new name. Looks plain ugly to me. The front and the rear doesn't match which in most of the Boat Tail RRs they don't. But they could have designed the rear in a better way.
Attached Thumbnails
One-off​ Rolls Royce "Sweptail" for  million-12718092_10154019398244870_3835323449896333602_n.jpg  

v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 14:09   #5
BHPian

This makes you wonder how much one can spend just to have something unique.

The front looks gorgeous, but the rear is equally hideous. It reminds me of the Rolls Royce that DC customised for a private collector.

One-off​ Rolls Royce "Sweptail" for  million-rollsroycecoupedcdesign001.jpg

One-off​ Rolls Royce "Sweptail" for  million-rollsroycecoupedcdesign87.jpg
Porcupine is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks