Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2006, 21:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

2008 Mercedes S Class convertible

Check this link out

http://www.caranddriver.com/carnews/...nvertible.html

Expected to Debut as a concept vehicle at the detroit motor show. The mag says it will be a retractable hardtop rather than a ragtop but the pic suggests a CLK-convertible type clothtop.

I checked the other T-bhp thread (titled "Website : www.newportconvertile.com" )where the previous S-class was also made into a convertible, but that wasn't a Daimler-chrysler job.

But frankly I would prefer the CL Convertible rather than a S class convertible. The 4 door thing looks like will have a structural rigidity of a toasted bread.

What say?
Old 6th November 2006, 21:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

doubt it and also makes no sense to have a 4 dr convert, if at all they will make it look like the S, make the wheelbase like the CL and call it a hard top convert, but I very highly doubt it..
Old 6th November 2006, 22:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day
doubt it and also makes no sense to have a 4 dr convert, if at all they will make it look like the S, make the wheelbase like the CL and call it a hard top convert, but I very highly doubt it..
DC in modern times has this habit of inventing categories of vehicles for which there is actually no sense, but surprisingly some of them are doing well, 4-door coupe for instance. But CLS today sells. The R-class, ok it isn't seling like hot cakes, but not doing bad either.

I think DC has something up its sleeve. This would make perfect sense for the corporate czars who would want to have the spotlight under the sun at the rear seat without actually taking the hassle of driving it. Such a chauffeur driven czar sliding into the rear seat of a 2-door convertible would look quite ridiculous isn't it. But how many such people are there, is the big question.
Old 6th November 2006, 22:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

well i think it looks hot...might be just a tad too long...
Old 7th November 2006, 01:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D
DC in modern times has this habit of inventing categories of vehicles for which there is actually no sense, but surprisingly some of them are doing well, 4-door coupe for instance. But CLS today sells. The R-class, ok it isn't seling like hot cakes, but not doing bad either.

I think DC has something up its sleeve. This would make perfect sense for the corporate czars who would want to have the spotlight under the sun at the rear seat without actually taking the hassle of driving it. Such a chauffeur driven czar sliding into the rear seat of a 2-door convertible would look quite ridiculous isn't it. But how many such people are there, is the big question.
I agree and thank those wonderful guys @ DC who created the awesome CLS...but the R class is nothing new its a minivan which has been done to death(in an ugly way) by all other guys except the germans i think...

But I hope its more of a S class hardtop 2 dr convert but i think that will eat away the CL sales, so might just have to create a new class or do a hard top on the CL as an option to the coupe which would be perfect i think..

Last edited by 1Day : 7th November 2006 at 01:03.
Old 8th November 2006, 20:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day
But I hope its more of a S class hardtop 2 dr convert but i think that will eat away the CL sales, so might just have to create a new class or do a hard top on the CL as an option to the coupe which would be perfect i think..
Right you are, but a choptop CL could definitely be a good one. we would have 4 2dr roadsters in that case from DC , SLK,CLK Convertible, SL and whatever CL would be.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks