Team-BHP - New Toyota Century revealed
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   New Toyota Century revealed (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/191199-new-toyota-century-revealed.html)

Toyota has revealed the "new" Toyota Century ahead of it's Tokyo Motor Show Debut.

Key Facts:
5.3 Meters Length.
5 Liter V8 Hybrid.
100% Woolen interior.
20 Speaker ICE with Active noise cancellation.

New Toyota Century revealed-toyotacentury1.jpg

New Toyota Century revealed-toyotacentury2.jpg

New Toyota Century revealed-toyotacentury3.jpg

New Toyota Century revealed-toyotacentury8.jpg

New Toyota Century revealed-toyotacentury11.jpg

Images, news credit: Autocar India.

Quote:

Toyota has revealed the "new" Toyota Century ahead of it's Tokyo Motor Show Debut.
Is this Year 2017 or have I gone back to 1970!!, this looks a re-run of some old model or is it really a new Car?

Hybrid V8? Now, why will someone plonk an 8 Cylinder engine and then add a Hybrid?

don't know what are Toyota's designer drinking these days :)

Wish Toyota can spend 10 % of efforts on Indian market instead of creating such products that no one needs:deadhorse

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbanator (Post 4284717)
Is this Year 2017 or have I gone back to 1970!! don't know what are Toyota's designer drinking these days :)

So true!! lol: This looks like a real retro ride. A Cadillac or one of those American barges from the '70s.

Seriously Toyota's designers need to take a nice long vacation and return to work with some fresh ideas.

Oh, hello there 1978! How are you, this fine evening?

There are several modern takes on classic cars. The Beetle, the 911, the Mini and the F-Type to name a few. But this looks like one of those "re-imagined" classic cars with modern drivetrains and oily bits. You know, like the Singer 911s and the E-Type Eagle Speedster.

It's certainly going to divide opinions, as far as design is concerned. Those oldish seats and woolen interiors don't seem to work with some of the contemporary bits.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhaas307 (Post 4284729)

It's certainly going to divide opinions, as far as design is concerned. Those oldish seats and woolen interiors don't seem to work with some of the contemporary bits.

Definitely going to divide opinions. Even the name should be "Past Century".stupid:

First thought that struck me - a take on a 1970sh Cadillac. Except for the interiors that seem a bit upgraded to 2017, the overall car looks like its jumped out of the 70s.

Having said that, some of the Japanese cars (for example, the Crown), which were only marketed in certain geographies looked a little bit like the Russian limousines. I guess these cars are intended for Japanese government and imperial use and really are not targeted at the general population (Japan or otherwise).

Incidentally quite a few Japanese marques had these kind of limos which all looked pretty much the same.

Before creating this thread, I too fell off my chair on seeing this on the ACI webpage.

However, it has to be noted that this very car has been in production since 1967! :eek:
The price of the out-going generation Century was a cool $130000. :D

I might be the odd one here but I really like how Toyota decided to reverse the clock a bit. The boxy designs of the past were clearly more subtle and yet classy compared to the curvier ones of today.
The elegant smooth lines with sharp creases gave the car a more mature and timeless identity.
I understand how today's cars are more aerodynamic than their boxier counterparts but one cannot deny that these boxy designs on these streched sedans make thm look and feel premium and superior in a way.
What I don't like is why did Toyota think of adding a hybrid when they could have easily sold volumes as a V8 petrol for the private segment and competent diesel variant for the Hotels Taxi market.

I really dont know why, but this car is looking as if its a Chinese knock off or a cheap wanna be replica of Rolls Royce etc.

The interiors too have a chinese finish.

Wool interiors!?

Good luck being in one of these in the Japan summer season!

Wonder why does Toyota not expand in a lucrative market like India instead of working on such outlier products!

From the rear:

New Toyota Century revealed-32018toyotacenturyjdm.jpg

Its only for Japan and like many things that is only for Japan the rest of the world consider it weird. Emperor of Japan rides in one. This is not for the Japanese masses either.

Personally i like the understated but solid looking form of the car.

This next generation Toyota Century looks wonderful. I would get this in a heartbeat. Few facts about the Century

1. Top of the line in Toyota even above the Lexus brand.

2. The preferred ride of the Japanese Emperor which is called Toyota Century Royal.

3. The longest car in production without any updates (1967-1997)

4. One of the two cars to be plonked with a Toyota V12s (Other being the 1000 bhp Supra)

5. The V12s have two ECU to make the engine fail-proof, can run at 6 cylinders at anytime (Like an aircraft)

6. Woolen interiors, as it's considered Premium than leather in Japan. Leather is not preferred in almost all asian countries.

7. This car is made in at the 100th birthday of Toyota's Founder Sakichi Toyoda.

8. The car is meant to look understated. In Japan the more your ride looks understated, the more it shows that 'you have made it!' in life.

I am happy that Toyota is experimenting with the design. Every automobile manufacturer stick to the German influenced design. This car is ideal for somebody who is old and rich enough, one who prefer smooth ride and a 'box' lol: of character.

Well, luxury does come in boxes!

New Toyota Century revealed-img_20171010_175600.jpg

New Toyota Century revealed-img_20171010_175632.jpg

The first thing I thought was how much this car seems to be inspired by the RR Phantom :Shockked: Come on Toyota you can surely do better than that to create something unique no?

That said, I love the way they have gone with Wool for the interiors. Anyone else getting a bit tired of all the leather everywhere? :D