Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2017, 18:16   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
Yes, we can do that. There is a sticker on the steel component inside the final end product which can trace back to the steel coil number that was used to manufacture that part. With the coil number, we'll know all the properties of that particular batch of steel by looking at its test certificate BUT there is no way to test that steel again.

Thanks, yes that is of course the challenge. Most of these steel tests are destructive in nature so you cant apply them to the end product. I seem to recall there were a few ways to test for parts of steel composition in a non destructive way (e.g. carbon content?) but either i am wrong, its been quite a while since I was involved or maybe it just wasn't very accurate either.

But the point remains traceability is going to be key to determine where this steel might have turned up. Having a bonnet that might be a bit more prone to rust is one thing, but a crossmember that is simply not strong enough is something very different.

Br Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 11:56   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Steelgate: The Kobe Steel scandal, Japan

Toyota confirms no impact on its cars from the Kobe steel scandal!

Quote:
The carmaker has confirmed that no Toyota or Lexus vehicles have been affected by the use of subpar materials from the Japanese steel manufacturer, and that its vehicles’ quality and performance satisfy its own internal standards.

Steelgate: The Kobe Steel scandal, Japan-toyotakobesteelresults850x584.png
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 15:25   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Toyota confirms no impact on its cars from the Kobe steel scandal!
Well, both Toyota & Kobe have been hit with a U.S. lawsuit over vehicle metal quality.

Quote:
U.S. consumers have filed a lawsuit against Kobe Steel Ltd. and Toyota Motor Corp. accusing the companies of violating consumer protection laws and engaging in fraud by concealing the use of sub-standard metal components in vehicles.
The proposed class action lawsuit represents the first U.S. consumer complaint filed against Kobe Steel over an issue that has been dogging Japan's third-largest steelmaker for nearly five decades.

Kobe, which supplies steel parts to manufacturers of cars, planes and trains around the world, admitted last year to supplying products with falsified specifications to about 500 customers, throwing global supply chains into turmoil. Earlier on Tuesday, Kobe said its CEO will step down to take responsibility for the widespread data fraud scandal.

The lawsuit, filed on Monday in federal court in San Francisco, was brought by two California residents who seek to represent a nationwide class of consumers who bought allegedly defective Toyota vehicles. According to the complaint, Toyota's Prius, Camry, Land Cruiser and Lexus vehicles have all been manufactured with "sub-standard" steel, aluminum and copper. The plaintiffs allege that Toyota and Kobe Steel both violated federal and state consumer protection laws by claiming that the vehicles complied with U.S. quality standards.
Kobe Steel could not immediately be reached for comment. Toyota declined to comment on the lawsuit.

In a special order in November, the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration asked 29 automakers, including Toyota, to disclose the safety of any of their vehicles or engines containing products supplied by Kobe Steel. The regulator did not immediately respond to a request for comment on what data it had received in response and whether there was any evidence of faulty materials in Toyota cars.

Monday's 40-page lawsuit outlines the ways in which the companies allegedly concealed poor metal quality. It demands compensatory and punitive damages in an unspecified amount. According to the complaint, at least six Toyota car models sold or leased to U.S. consumers were manufactured with sub-standard metal from Kobe Steel. Plaintiffs said the metal could impact vehicle safety and performance.

Toyota had the duty to disclose any defective vehicle components because it has consistently marketed its automobiles as safe, functional and reliable, the lawsuit says. Kobe and Toyota had superior knowledge and access to the facts, the lawsuit alleged, giving rise to fraud by concealment claims.

Kobe is also undergoing a separate U.S. Justice Department probe.
Source

Cheers
Old 7th March 2018, 17:03   #34
Senior - BHPian

I find it disturbing that car makers & Air frame manufacturers don't take the 2nd line effort of doing a chemical and mechanical test on the raw material they receive. I am sure that is elementary in their QAP. They can resort to various types of NDT and it costs peanuts to do so, assuming their sampling is 3%-6% per lot.

I remember back in my GE Aviation days that each aircraft blade goes through 100% RT and that is a BIG deal. Today, say a 500Kg WCB Grade steel casting thats about 1sqmtr costs approx 50-60K INR today to go through a 50% RT, a aircraft blade is going to cost nuts to be tested.

I really feel that what ever chemical report and mechanical report the foundry gives along with the roll or bar or any raw form, they will subjected to basic 2nd level tests to ensure no NC is encountered and passed on by QC to incoming ledger. I would really by surprised if large car makers and air frame makers are not doing it!
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks