Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2017, 11:08   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Singapore to cap number of cars allowed on its roads from 2018

I don't think it is fair to compare Singapore with cities in India. Singapore is a city state. It has a GDP of 300 billion USD (please correct me if I am wrong. I found this figure from a simple google search. Didn't dvelve too deep hence could be wrong). In comparison the GDP of Bangalore is 83 billion USD. What percentage of this GDP would be coming to Bangalore for it's development?

India is a large country. The affluent regions of our country make up for the development of the backward areas. I had read once that 35% of income tax generated in India comes from Mumbai. What percentage of aid from Central government comes to Mumbai for it's development? Unless the vast scathes of under developed areas in India are brought up to some standard, we can keep comparing our cities with similar sized cities from developed world but the comparison will always fall short. Conditions are different, challenges are completely different.

Like someone mentioned, Delhi has a very good and modern metro network. But Singapore has a population of 56 lakhs. Delhi NCR has 4 times that.

I hope our leaders don't take a leaf out of Singapore and end up enforcing this rule in India without bothering for these differences that prevail between the two places.
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 11:58   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
I don't think it is fair to compare Singapore with cities in India. Singapore is a city state. It has a GDP of 300 billion USD (please correct me if I am wrong. I found this figure from a simple google search. Didn't dvelve too deep hence could be wrong). In comparison the GDP of Bangalore is 83 billion USD. What percentage of this GDP would be coming to Bangalore for it's development?

Fair analysis, the objective should be to at-least have same standards of infrastructure and development plan for all the state capitals. Making people to migrate to big cities is not the solution.
Old 29th October 2017, 13:20   #33
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
But, if you're wearing formals, perhaps a suit, would you really like to walk for 1 kilometer from the bus stop to reach your home when it is almost 38 degree C and 85% humidity outside? I wouldn't.
My wife and I had the same impression during our short vacation in singapore. Connectivity, freuquency of the metro system was fantastic. But unlike cities in colder climes where you can walk for 10-15 minutes to a metro station without breaking a sweat - for the most part of the year - thats simply not possible in a singapore, Dubai or cities in India. Hence last mile connectivity to metro stations becomes a critical factor for success.
Zed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 12:42   #34
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshnvjy View Post
In Singapore or any city with a well-planned public transportation grid, the buses merely complement the trains. Sure, there are a few parallel and alternative routes and this is merely to give choice to the commuters. Most bus routes act as feeder lines for the rail network in order to ensure connectivity to and from stations to neighbourhoods and points of interests. Of course, due to this, the Singapore MRT and Hong Kong MTR both have a total farebox recovery ratio (profit vs. operation costs) of over 125%. The Hong Kong MTR approaches a recovery ratio of 186% according to their most recent reports.
Exactly... To add, the last mile connectivity is absolute there. The exits will take you inside a shopping mall, criss-cross a street, connect to a bus station etc.. City hall, Farer park are few examples. This really helps commuters to reach the destination comfortably & safely on time.

If a government is planning to reduce the usage of the private transport system, then it should be in a position to expand the public transport system rapidly. Singapore government has the political will and capability to execute.
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2017, 20:18   #35
BANNED

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Do NOT post off-topic or vague posts that have no relation to the topic.

Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 6th November 2017 at 13:27.
hangover is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks