Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2017, 09:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

McLaren Senna - The ultimate road + track Mac!

If you take the time from when Lamborghini advented the concept of a 'Supercar' with the Miura till now and squeeze it into a day, McLaren has only been making cars for maybe lil' over an hour, still they were killing the supercar game no one has done before.

They came out of nowhere and has been delivering blows after blows to the other manufacturers with every single car they dropped since the 12C. P1, 675LT, 570S, 570GT, P1 GTR, P1 LM, one banger after the other!

And then they went and knocked it completely out of the park with the 720S, which was punching way above its weight. The thing was destroying the likes of Porsche 918 Spyders and Lamborghini Aventador Ses around the track and was comfortable enough to daily it once you pull it out of the full track setting but most importantly, the car was a fraction of the price of these heavyweights it was slaying. It seemed as though they had made the perfect supercar.

It had started to seem like McLaren could do no wrong!

McLaren Senna - The ultimate road + track Mac!-wrong01.jpg

Enter the P15 or as we now know it, the McLaren Senna

McLaren Senna - The ultimate road + track Mac!-mclarensenna201980003.jpg

This legitimately looks to me like an illegitimate lovechild of the McLaren 720S and Han's Veilside RX7 out of Tokyo Drift!!

*History lesson time!*

McLaren has been hyping this new entrant into their Ultimate Series after the P1 that they claimed would be faster, cheaper and most interestingly, would lose the hybrid system the P1 was famed for.

They had sworn to achieve this feat simply with a little help from the God of Wind! Err..maybe not quite literally, they just hinted the car's design will be "Aero-driven".

So since then all McLaren buffs has been waiting with baited breaths for December 10th when they said they would revolutionize the way we looked at supercars.

Well, mission accomplished, I guess?

McLaren Senna - The ultimate road + track Mac!-mclarensenna201980005.jpg

McLaren Senna - The ultimate road + track Mac!-mclarensenna201980006.jpg

McLaren Senna - The ultimate road + track Mac!-mclarensenna201980002.jpg

McLaren Senna - The ultimate road + track Mac!-mclarensenna201980004.jpg

McLaren Senna - The ultimate road + track Mac!-mclarensenna201980001.jpg

McLaren Senna - The ultimate road + track Mac!-mclarensenna201980011.jpg

Don't get me wrong, despite the polarizing looks, I'm dead sure this thing would be a hoot to drive on the roads and an absolute beast on the racetracks and being a diehard fan and McLaren nerd that they've made me over the last few years, I truly hope this one grows on me.

Now onto some numbers,
4.0 Twin-Turbo V8
789hp (800ps)
800nm Torque
500 units to be made (all soldout!)
€750,000 (the P1 was just shy of a million)

Maybe not so bad in a darker shade, but still not entirely sold on the side profile still though.
McLaren Senna - The ultimate road + track Mac!-mclarensenna201980008.jpg

Image Source

Last edited by Scorcher : 10th December 2017 at 10:13.
Scorcher is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 10th December 2017, 11:04   #2
BHPian

re: McLaren Senna - The ultimate road + track Mac!

Shouldn’t have skipped the hybrid system. That was the first car (P1) which made me a fan of how they implemented the technology. Not for environment (uh, that too) but mainly to make the car, the most brutal and wicked car on the planet.

Never have loved McLaren’s design language but the P1 was something else due to it’s engineering. Well, back to despising McLaren again now...

Last edited by The Brutailer : 10th December 2017 at 11:05.
The Brutailer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2017, 12:08   #3
BHPian

re: McLaren Senna - The ultimate road + track Mac!

About time when our search in Google for ‘Senna’ showed up pictures of the latest propitious hurrah from UK than the revered Brazilain soul, Ayrton Senna.

Everything that came out from the Mclaren stable had me drooling my eyes over it, except maybe for this time. I understand that every inch of this car has its role in planting the car on to the tarmac with Godly aerodynamic craftworks but seems it has a hardway into my heart.

On an another note, curious whether if Mclaren has a ‘no flip’ policy towards the owners who’s been alloted one. All of the 500 Sennas have been sold out and the last slot was taken up for $2.7M+. There’d be quite a number of them who’s frantically trying to get hold of one and wouldn’t mind tipping a ‘little’ over the retail value.

Assuring that there’ll be those laptime crazy enthusiastic owners, we’d see more Sennas wearing the carbon fiber inserts in the doors much rather than the glass which exposes the head and foot.

McLaren Senna - The ultimate road + track Mac!-61a84e39c50b4765a7537997660bfb38.jpeg
Source - The Drive
E = mc² is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 10:38   #4
BHPian

Honestly it looks like a Lego car, what a massive waste of the name Senna (Honda's previous Generation NSX will always remain The Senna Car).

And what is with the rear, looks like a copy and blend of Chiron and Aventador.
glikithvinayaka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 17:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: McLaren Senna - The ultimate road + track Mac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glikithvinayaka View Post
(Honda's previous Generation NSX will always remain The Senna Car).
I so agree to this statement of yours. Something with Senna's name needed to look more composed.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 19:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

McLaren Senna: 789 BHP road legal car revealed

McLaren has revealed the Senna which is the next addition to the company’s Ultimate Series range of supercars. Honouring the F1 driver Ayrton Senna, the track-focused, road legal race car will be limited to just 500 units.

The McLaren P1 replacement features use of carbon fibre in the chassis and body panels. It gets an air dam at the front flanked by two air intakes on each side. The LED headlamps get a DRL strip below them. The roof features an intake scoop at the centre. The Senna gets scissor doors which have glass on the door panels. The car gets intakes at the sides to cool the mid mounted engine. The rear gets an adjustable spoiler and a double diffuser. Thin red LED strips act as the tail lamps. The exhaust pipes are bunched at the centre of the rear.

According to McLaren, the car's cabin has been designed to allow helmet-wearing drivers to enter and exit easily. The door mechanisms and window switches are located near the start / stop button, above the driver's head. The 3-spoke steering wheel has no buttons on it. Two displays are used to relay all the information to the driver. One of them is the driver information display while the other is the screen of the infotainment unit. The Senna gets only two seats and limited storage behind them - enough for a couple of helmets and race suits.

The McLaren Senna is powered by a mid-mounted 4.0-litre, twin turbo V8 engine that makes 789 BHP and 800 Nm of torque. The engine gets dry sump lubrication, flat plane crankshaft and electronically controlled waste gates to improve the throttle response. Air is fed to the engine via the roof mounted scoop. Power is sent only to the rear wheels via a 7-speed dual clutch gearbox. The automatic mode is default, though the driver can engage the manual mode by using the steering mounted paddle shifts. A choice of three driver modes is available - Comfort, Sport or Track. A Race mode option is also available, and the switch is located on the roof panel.

The car gets a double wishbone suspension with adaptive dampers interconnected hydraulically to each other. The car gets centre lock light weight alloy wheels shod with Pirelli P Zero Trofeo R tyres. The car has a kerb weight of 1,198kg.

The car will be unveiled at the 88th Geneva International Motor Show in March 2018. It will be priced from GBP 750,000 and hand made at the McLaren factory at Surrey, England from Q3 2018.

McLaren Senna - The ultimate road + track Mac!-8605mclarensenna6.jpg

McLaren Senna - The ultimate road + track Mac!-8606mclarensenna1.jpg

McLaren Senna - The ultimate road + track Mac!-8608mclarensenna2.jpg

McLaren Senna - The ultimate road + track Mac!-8612mclarensenna4.jpg

McLaren Senna - The ultimate road + track Mac!-8614mclarensenna5.jpg

McLaren Senna - The ultimate road + track Mac!-8626mclarensennainterior3.jpg

McLaren Senna - The ultimate road + track Mac!-8618mclarensennaroofmountedcontrols.jpg

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by blackwasp : 11th December 2017 at 19:40.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 21:27   #7
BHPian

McLaren off late are doing great with crazy looking super cars. The P1 is a bonkers machine and now this. What is the glass on the lower door section for though??
Just the other day I saw a 720s on the road. I was at a T junction and it took a U turn right in front of my car. I was driving to coorg and all the way from Domlur to Nelamangla ,about 30km, I made my wife google stuff about the car and narrate it to me since I couldnt identify the model when I saw it.

Last edited by rajathv8 : 11th December 2017 at 21:28.
Old 12th December 2017, 11:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Any clue on the requirements on the Le Mans 24 hrs or other endurance races? If I'm not mistaken, there is a requirement to manufacture xx road legal vehicles to participate. Could McLaren be eyeing participating in such an event?

They had run the McLaren F1 (in the GTR guise) in the 90s I think.
Old 12th December 2017, 13:28   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Any clue on the requirements on the Le Mans 24 hrs or other endurance races? If I'm not mistaken, there is a requirement to manufacture xx road legal vehicles to participate. Could McLaren be eyeing participating in such an event?

From 2011, the two smaller classes were introduced of production based grand tourer(GT) classes, GT Endurance Pro and GT Endurance AM.

Both of THE GT classes have to be built according to the LM GTE, or "Le Mans Grand Touring Endurance" regulations.

Which are

Quote:
The ACO has defined limits and requirements for the LM GTE category to ensure that cars are legitimately production-based. The car must have "an aptitude for sport with 2 doors, 2 or 2+2 seats, opened or closed, which can be used perfectly legally on the open road and available for sale."[The ACO modifies its regulations for "small manufacturers" (less than 2000 cars produced a year). In order to be eligible a big manufacturer must produce at least one car a week or a small manufacturer one car a month. The cars will be eligible to race when 100 road cars for big manufacturers or 25 road cars for small manufacturers are produced. The car must have an official launch campaign and sales network.
More Rules and Regulations can be found here,
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LM_GTE

Quote:
Yes the McLaren GTR ran in the similar GT class of the time in Le Mans during 1995,1996 and 1997,of which it won in 1995(beating its superior cars, hence becoming world famous).
It still remains one of the most beautiful cars for me.
But this is just a track car usable on the road, the actual F1-like 3 seater is still under work. Though they can run this in Le Mans like you mentioned as it is a production vehicle.

Last edited by glikithvinayaka : 12th December 2017 at 13:31.
glikithvinayaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 12:18   #10
BHPian

Last Example of McLaren Senna Production Run Auctioned for $2.67 Million, which will be used to provide education for over 2 million underprivileged children.

Quote:

The auction was held at a private function for McLaren customers, and the car being auctioned was the very last one of the limited run of 500 cars that will eventually roll off the production line. After a spirited auction that saw some intensive bidding, the McLaren Senna finally sold for an astonishing $2.67 million (£2 million). That money will now go to the Senna Institute, which is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing education for almost two million underprivileged children and youngsters in Brazil.

Although the eventual selling price of this Senna is a lot lower than some classic cars have been sold at auction for lately, it's still an awful lot more than the $1 million (£750,000) asking price for the other 499 examples of the Senna.

Viviane Senna, the sister of Ayrton and mother of racing driver and McLaren ambassador, Bruno Senna, said of the sale, "Raising this amount of money for the Instituto Ayrton Senna is a wonderful result for our collaboration with McLaren Automotive. Now that the McLaren Senna has been revealed, we can say publicly how happy we are to be a part of this project."
http://www.news18.com/amp/news/auto/...n-1605589.html
Old 16th December 2017, 13:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
What is the glass on the lower door section for though??
The glass section seen in the pictures comes in carbon as standard (which I suspect most owners are gonna stick to), the glass panels are an option. McLaren says it serves the purpose of giving the driver a visual reference of the apex while clipping it. Yes, they were damn serious when they said it is a track car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Could McLaren be eyeing participating in such an event?

I highly doubt it. McLaren left LeMans at an absolute high when they took the Championship in '95 with the Lanzante run F1 GTR (02R). When the P1 GTR was launched, they made it a point to announce that they had no intention of inducing it in any race series and will only serve the purpose of being track toys for the billionaire owners and a Pure McLaren track event once or twice a year.

So I highly doubt if they're gonna enter a LeMans season with a purely internal combustion car when the roost is ruled by Diesel and Gas Hybrids.
Scorcher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2018, 18:53   #12
BHPian

I was one among the crowd of people who were shocked with this design language. Shmee has been instrumental in his attempt to soften the impact of this purposeful design and soften my stance towards the quirkiness that we all noticed.

Now with the live spottings in the wild in the menacing black colour and especially with this video, i have a feeling, this car does not look that bad at all.

Take a look.
rohitoasis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 01:34   #13
BHPian

McLaren has gone ahead and revealed an even more bonkers version of the already borderline legal McLaren Senna, known as the McLaren Senna GTR!

Link to the News

Power has gone up a couple bhp but the biggest difference is in the addition of upto 1000kg more downforce compared to the street legal model. Should be the fastest McLaren outside of F1 now.

Feast your eyes.

McLaren Senna - The ultimate road + track Mac!-mclaren_senna_gtr_concept_01.jpg

McLaren Senna - The ultimate road + track Mac!-mclaren_senna_gtr_concept_02.jpg

McLaren Senna - The ultimate road + track Mac!-mclaren_senna_gtr_concept_04.jpg

McLaren Senna - The ultimate road + track Mac!-mclaren_senna_gtr_concept_10.jpg
Old 9th March 2018, 13:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

McLaren Senna Supercar: A tour of the brutally quick tribute to Ayrton Senna.

The Senna is McLaren’s most excessive road car to date. And it packs a punch: expect top speeds in excess of 320kph and acceleration from zero to 96kph in around 2.5 seconds.

The lightest McLaren since the F1, the new supercar weighs just 1,198kg and boasts a 4.0-litre twin-turbocharged V8, producing 800PS and 800N/m. The result is a barely comprehensible power-to-weight ratio of 688PS-per-tonne.

Old 9th March 2018, 13:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalajprakash View Post
McLaren has gone ahead and revealed an even more bonkers version of the already borderline legal McLaren Senna, known as the McLaren Senna GTR!
McLaren Automotive Press Conference at the 2018 Geneva Motor Show.

More details about McLaren Senna GTR reveled

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks