Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2006, 01:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes-Benz - Ocean Drive Concept

Mercedes-Benz design study: Concept Ocean Drive design study – the most comfortable and elegant modern-day convertible

Detroit, Dec 20, 2006
At the North American Auto Show Detroit, Mercedes-Benz is adding to its reputation as a pioneer and design trendsetter among premium carmakers with the presentation of its Concept Ocean Drive four-door convertible. This study is a one-off creation by Mercedes-Benz which revives the tradition of large luxury convertibles. Not having to work to a design brief or production specifications left the designers free to get on with the job of developing the world's most comfortable and elegant convertible.

The Concept Ocean Drive is an aweinspiring jewel on wheels. As a four-door convertible, it belongs in a luxury genre that has almost disappeared from our roads. Like the luxury convertibles of years gone by, this showpiece from Stuttgart features the maximum in elegance, lifestyle sophistication and exclusiveness. To put it another way, it represents automobile culture at its most attractive and desirable.

The one-off special has an all-new body with an almost classic flavour and with clearly defined lines and vibrant two-tone paintwork which are exceptionally charismatic. Although on one level the Concept Ocean Drive displays the restraint of an elite and aristocratic automobile, it is also an open invitation to go on a "top-less" cruise along the world's finest ocean promenades. Luxurious, exotic materials have been crafted with consummate skill to create a showpiece of unparalleled perfection.

Mercedes-Benz design studies – a stylistic journey into the future
The Concept Ocean Drive isn't just designed to inspire dreams and fantasies; it also serves a very practical purpose. Because design studies are always a good opportunity for designers to play around with less familiar themes, to see things from new angles and to explore new ideas. Not just a pure design exercise, they are also a way of stimulating a closer dialogue with customers and of trying out new ideas on the general public. This helps the designers get a feel for future styling trends and to develop and implement new design idioms.

The unique luxury convertible design study from Stuttgart turns a "dream car" vision into reality. At the same time it is also an affirmation of the design excellence and values of the Mercedes-Benz brand, including the brand's traditional basic principles like excellent build and quality, comfort, effortless superiority, value retention and safety. These values have now been joined by three further key messages: passion, fascination and innovation. The Mercedes-Benz design philosophy both perpetuate proven styling themes associated with the brand and at the same time combines them with new and surprising ideas and forms.

Styling conveys effortless superiority and elegance
Apart from the four doors, the outward distinguishing marks of the concept car include a very large and upright radiator grille, LED headlamps and taillights, two-tone paintwork and a striking interplay between taut lines and large, restful surfaces. This lends the one-off special an air of effortless superiority, power, elegance and forward-flowing energy.

The long side-window opening which, typically of a convertible, is not interrupted by a B-pillar or window frames, ensures seamless continuity between the exterior and the interior, even when the top is up. Extensive use of high-value materials –such as finest-quality leather, 3D-effect materials and large bird's eye maple trim panels (in the interior and even on the soft-top compartment cover) – and many other thoughtfully designed interior details, highlight the luxurious, unique character of this design study.

Top-level engineering
The design study is based on the twelve-cylinder Mercedes-Benz S 600, on ac-count of this model's long wheelbase. The technical highlights include:
  • the innovative soft-top mechanism resulting in smooth operation and fast closing times;
  • the innovative AIRSCARF neck-level heating system, which is featured on all four seats, allowing occupants to enjoy top-down motoring even in the colder months of the year.
Needless to say, the on-board equipment also includes top-level Mercedes-Benz innovations, some of which are unique worldwide – including Brake Assist PLUS, the innovative PRE-SAFE® brake system (in combination with radar-based DIS-TRONIC PLUS) and the PRE-SAFE® anticipatory occupant protection system.

Last edited by hanmust : 21st December 2006 at 01:36.
Old 21st December 2006, 01:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Muhaha, the four door S is revealed.

Rather crazy posh, if you ask me!
Old 21st December 2006, 01:53   #3
BHPian

hehe, the s was always a four door.

i like those fender flares better than the current ones. a maybach badge wouldnt look out of place on this.
Old 21st December 2006, 01:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelntoe View Post
hehe, the s was always a four door.

i like those fender flares better than the current ones. a maybach badge wouldnt look out of place on this.
Hehe, trivial mistake...I was so taken aback, I forgot to add the word 'convertible/cabriolet'
Old 21st December 2006, 02:16   #5
BHPian

here is a beautiful car , I read in carmagazine from Germany Auto motor und sport that a convertible based on a s class was coming out.Hope it will reach production US buyers will be happy to cruise in L.A or Miami.Better than GTC BY Bentley
Old 21st December 2006, 03:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdul 65 amg View Post
here is a beautiful car , I read in carmagazine from Germany Auto motor und sport that a convertible based on a s class was coming out.Hope it will reach production US buyers will be happy to cruise in L.A or Miami.Better than GTC BY Bentley
I couldnt disagree more..only a fool would pick the S over the GTC...

the GTC looks better, would probably be as powerful, is more exclusive and would be a bentley..

but i am sure it will sell well since people like you said wouldnt mind having this instead of the GTC when they wanna be different(but thats not always better)

I like it too..looks great....but like the GTC better
Old 21st December 2006, 03:45   #7
elf
BANNED

I'd love it. Seems like a perfect ride. You guys got me thinking again... if I get this, then I won't need to get myself that Zen & lop it's roof off, like I was planning to do some time ago...

Thank you Mercedes, for making my life easier.
Old 21st December 2006, 07:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

1Day, my neighbours got a GTC...it's rather ugly.
Old 22nd December 2006, 01:37   #9
BHPian

1day remember that the Bentley gtc is based on the Vw Phatom which is a s class rival. so gtc and Ocean drive concept are on the same line , same price
Old 9th January 2007, 03:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes Benz has launched its latest cocept of 4 door luxury convertible Ocean Drive today at Detriot Auto Show/North American International Auto Shoe (NAIAS) 2007. Here are the first pictures by the DaimlerChrysler & some real life photos

Source
DaimlerChrysler Media Service & Supercar.net

Last edited by hanmust : 9th January 2007 at 03:40.
Old 11th January 2007, 12:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Video: Mercedes Ocean Drive

The first video of the Mercedes Ocean Drive concept released y'day. Click on the link & enjoy the video..

Mercedes-Benz Ocean Drive (Promo-Video) - Google Video

Last edited by hanmust : 11th January 2007 at 12:59.
Old 11th January 2007, 14:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Is it just me, or does this car look more American (the current design trend) than German?
Old 12th January 2007, 01:57   #13
elf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
I'd love it. Seems like a perfect ride. ...
Scratch that. I want it. Reeeaalllly bad.
Old 12th January 2007, 05:58   #14
BHPian

its truly EPIC this thing... WOW

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks