Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2018, 10:02   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Rolls Royce Cullinan SUV - This is it!

Cullinan - The Crown Jewel Of SUV's !

Effortless Everywhere: THE ROLLS-ROYCE CULLINAN,

The Rolls Royce Cullinan SUV - This is it!-cull.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 10:35   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I actually think the Cullinan looks the best among its peers.
+1
The Cullinan is all about Understated elegance which no SUV currently has to offer (in its class). Having seen a Bentayga, it looks more youthful in appeal and does not have the presence of the Rolls. The Cullinan is a proper limo on silts and would be my pick over the bentayga, if given a choice.
Raahil_23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2018, 14:34   #18
BHPian

This is a bit but interesting.

Meet The Rolls Royce Cullinan’s Long Lost Daddy: Bentley Dominator

The Rolls Royce Cullinan SUV - This is it!-bentleydominator01.jpg

The Rolls Royce Cullinan SUV - This is it!-bentleydominator10.jpg

After the Bentley Bentayga, the Cullinan is supposed to be the second uber-luxurious SUV ever. This assumption, though, is not exactly accurate.

Enter the Bentley Dominator, one of the many coachbuilt models created specifically for the Sultan of Brunei in the 1990s. In a way the Dominator is the world’s true first super-luxury SUV and, by the looks of it, the ancestor of the Bentayga and Cullinan (from 1931 until its acquisition by the VW Group in 1998, Bentley was owned by Rolls-Royce).

In the ’90s, there were all sorts of stories regarding you were ever fascinated by the Sultan’s huge car collection; yet there were some cars that remained undetected for quite some time. The Dominator was one of them. No one actually knew it existed up until three years after it was made, when Autocar published a story on it in 1998.

The Rolls Royce Cullinan SUV - This is it!-bentleydominator05.jpg

The fact that there so are few and so old images of it only adds to the Dominator’s legend. If you’re old enough to remember, the Dominator came at a time when if you wanted a luxurious off-roader, there was a single option: the Range Rover.

Bentley built in total six examples of the Dominator for the Sultan, including one in red and one in bright yellow. All of them featured the customary chrome trim around the bodywork and rode on chrome wheels, while the completely bespoke interior was lavished in thick leather and the classic wood trim. Judging by the grainy photos, the tailgate was also a split item, just like the car it’s based on.

The Dominator was based on the P38A generation of the Range Rover, making use of its all-wheel drive system too. Some reports say it even uses the same Rover V8 engine, but the company never released even the slightest piece of information about it.

The Rolls Royce Cullinan SUV - This is it!-bentleydominator03.jpg

The Rolls Royce Cullinan SUV - This is it!-bentleydominator02.jpg

The Rolls Royce Cullinan SUV - This is it!-bentleydominator07a.jpg

The Rolls Royce Cullinan SUV - This is it!-bentleydominator08a.jpg

The Rolls Royce Cullinan SUV - This is it!-bentleydominator09.jpg
Source
Attached Thumbnails
The Rolls Royce Cullinan SUV - This is it!-bentleydominator04.jpg  

Flyer is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 14th May 2018, 19:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

In one word, Hideous. This makes the Bentayga look like a work of art and it is no Picasso itself.
Anyhow, not even the maker of the finest luxury automobile in the world can escape the sale prowess of big boxy utility vehicles.
Old 20th May 2018, 16:36   #20
BHPian

The making of Cullinan.

The video covers the off roading capabilities of Cullinan.

RIP Range Rover!
Old 21st May 2018, 14:29   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

The first black Cullinan being delivered in Kuwait,

The Rolls Royce Cullinan SUV - This is it!-rollsroycecullinandeliveredinkuwaitlooksliketheblackcab125776_1.jpg

The Rolls Royce Cullinan SUV - This is it!-rollsroycecullinandeliveredinkuwaitlooksliketheblackcab_1.jpg

The Rolls Royce Cullinan SUV - This is it!-rollsroycecullinandeliveredinkuwaitlooksliketheblackcab_2.jpg

The Rolls Royce Cullinan SUV - This is it!-rollsroycecullinandeliveredinkuwaitlooksliketheblackcab_3.jpg

And a Red in Middle East,

The Rolls Royce Cullinan SUV - This is it!-rollsroycecullinandeliveredinkuwaitlooksliketheblackcab_4.jpg

The Rolls Royce Cullinan SUV - This is it!-rollsroycecullinandeliveredinkuwaitlooksliketheblackcab_5.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2018, 02:07   #22
BHPian

According to media reports

Cullinan officially Launched in India
Price - Rs. 6.95 Crore - Ex-showroom India !

Source

The Rolls Royce Cullinan SUV - This is it!-screenshot_20181202022328_chrome.jpg
JS Kwt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2018, 05:10   #23
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Personally I think these luxury marques ought to have stayed true to their Luxury Car DNA rather than get into this SUV mode.
Design wise I dont like the Maserati Levante, the Bentley Bentayga, the Rolls Royce Cullinan and even the upcoming Aston Martin SUV, whatever fancy name they may give it.
The true blue reference of a luxury SUV (to me at least) is the Range Rover. The first. The best.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2018, 12:26   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Personally I think these luxury marques ought to have stayed true to their Luxury Car DNA rather than get into this SUV mode.
Design wise I dont like the Maserati Levante, the Bentley Bentayga, the Rolls Royce Cullinan and even the upcoming Aston Martin SUV, whatever fancy name they may give it.
The true blue reference of a luxury SUV (to me at least) is the Range Rover. The first. The best.
Its all about $$$$$$$. All these marques are now part of a giant corporate expected to increase revenues annually. No longer is it purely based on brand enrichment, it is now brand stretching..to the limit!

Last edited by ajmat : 2nd December 2018 at 12:45.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 08:38   #25
Senior - BHPian

I guess it will take some time for us to accept this beast due to the badge it carries. And for good or bad, it is surely going to happen.

We don't wince when we see or hear about the Cayenne now do we? The Cullinan will go through the same grind.

And its no jacked up Phantom. They have worked hard to make the whole experience very different yet unmistakably Rolls Royce. Just read up on the feel of the steering, brakes etc on the Cullinan as opposed to the Phantom.

As for me, I am quite sure I will pick up the Phantom over this one in a heart beat though. All said, that is the quintessential Rolls Royce in that lineup now.
Old 10th December 2018, 08:49   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

If some one gifted it to me I would not complain. I like those reverse opening rear passenger doors.

For the aircraft buffs the aircraft the Bentley is being loaded/off-loaded from is a civilian Antonov An-12. :-) - watch the tail and the props.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 09:17   #27
Team-BHP Support

As atrocious as it may sound- Cullinan in black above reminds me of the old London cab.

Probably thrice the size though!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 19:33   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this car a few times over the last week at close quarters. A neighbour in the opposite tower has invested in a Cullinan - midnight blue shade. I am sorry to say the chopped off look at the rear and the little too boxy front makes this look rather un-Rolls Royce like. The front reminded me of the Contessa's that were modified locally, in the 1980s and 1990s, to imitate a Mercedes - boxy, all ends not quite in proportion to each other. The rear reminded me of the Padminis and Ambassadors that were coverted locally to the station wagon configuration - pieces jutting out awkwardly. Something about the lines just did not sit well. I don't know this neighbour as such but he was nice enough to permit me a thorough look around. After all I look like a genial grey haired uncle. Take my advice don't buy one. :-)

Last edited by V.Narayan : 20th June 2021 at 19:34.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 07:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Saw this car a few times over the last week at close quarters. A neighbour in the opposite tower has invested in a Cullinan - midnight blue shade. I am sorry to say the chopped off look at the rear and the little too boxy front makes this look rather un-Rolls Royce like. The front reminded me of the Contessa's that were modified locally, in the 1980s and 1990s, to imitate a Mercedes - boxy, all ends not quite in proportion to each other. The rear reminded me of the Padminis and Ambassadors that were coverted locally to the station wagon configuration - pieces jutting out awkwardly. Something about the lines just did not sit well. I don't know this neighbour as such but he was nice enough to permit me a thorough look around. After all I look like a genial grey haired uncle. Take my advice don't buy one. :-)
It's not that bad

Yes it's boxy & too square-ish, but that rear is an elegant design deviating from current trend of joined tail lights. They could have done better with front end though to make built tough image carrying the RR look.

But it's not only about the looks... Rather the image that gets the work done.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks