Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2018, 10:07   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mercedes-Benz A-class sedan unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys, is this the next-gen CLA? If so, why isn't Mercedes calling it that? And if not, what is the difference between this & a CLA, considering the CLA was a sedan version of the A-Class?
Well, two main differences.

Upright rear design that allows for adults to sit in the rear (CLA rear headroom)

Frame-less doors replaced by traditional doors.

Guess, Merc is aiming at the two models to be like the E class and CLS of the MFA models.

A class sedan as the sedan equivalent of A class, aimed at chauffeured developing markets.

CLA being the less practical, sporty model, that at least in the next iteration would be true to the mini CLS badge with respect to styling.
DicKy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2018, 13:13   #17
Team-BHP Support

Well, if this is going to be the 'A Class sedan', I suppose it's a good thing! Cabin room is crucial especially for developing markets with a growing demand for luxury cars. One thing's for sure, the boot - although not the best looking and distinctly resembles Japanese / Korean boots - definitely does not look tacked on, as some seem to suggest.

However, if this is going to be the replacement for the CLA, then I'm pretty disappointed. It no longer looks like the 4-door coupe that it was, and the removal of frameless doors is a big disappointment - if it has indeed been discontinued that is.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th July 2018 at 13:15.
suhaas307 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th July 2018, 21:45   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, is this the next-gen CLA? If so, why isn't Mercedes calling it that? And if not, what is the difference between this & a CLA, considering the CLA was a sedan version of the A-Class?
I think MB has reached that point where they can create new models/niches and people would readily buy them (like the AMG GT sedan) So they could just be milking the market.
Since CLA is derived from CLS, they're could make another angry little sedan as the next CLA because they can. Not all markets are sensitive as ours.
Likewise, the A class looks like a baby CLS already (atleast from the front). So it could also be the CLA replacement. Just my thoughts.
TSIboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2018, 18:21   #19
BHPian

assuming this is the new CLA, I'd have mine with the new interior in the old bodyshell! This new design isn't a looker, seems very odd compared to the CLA we are used to ogling at
Old 29th July 2018, 19:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

Super confusing now isn't it ? Whats the CLA and whats an A Class Sedan
How much can they tweak this to make a CLA ? (assuming mercedes wont stop making that brand). As far as a compact sedan is concerned the Audi A3 & BMW 1 series sedans made more sense to the head and this new A Class sedan probably corrects that a little bit for mercedes.
Old 30th July 2018, 10:11   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks guys. But its still confusing. Final question = Is Mercedes planning to sell the A-Class sedan & CLA-Class simultaneously? I understand that product overlap has some benefits, but this is frankly ridiculous.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 11:35   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks guys. But its still confusing. Final question = Is Mercedes planning to sell the A-Class sedan & CLA-Class simultaneously? I understand that product overlap has some benefits, but this is frankly ridiculous.
I believe they will be. CLA based on the new A can come in later as a baby-CLS. But they will need to have a proper small sedan in the A-class space to counter the likes of Audi A3, at least in specific markets. BMW also will be on a similar strategy – even though they have 2-series coupe, they may still go with a 1-series sedan.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 12:11   #23
Senior - BHPian

I can't say I really like that back end design or the boot integration. The interiors though are fantastic but then again my next car is going to be electric with solar panel on my roof to charge it for free when it is just sitting in my garage during weekdays, not being used.
Old 30th July 2018, 12:18   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think Mercedes is the Maruti of luxury cars. The are narrowing the gap between 2 models and hoping that a prospective customer stays in the brand rather than lose to the companion. Carving out a new segment also allows the carmaker to do an upward revision on the prices of models sitting above the new ones.

Line up-
A-Class
B-Class
A-Class sedan
CLA (4-door Coupe, station wagon, AMG)
GLA
C-Class (Coupe, 4-door, cabriolet, AMG, station wagon)
CLC (in the future?)
GLC
E-Class (Coupe, 4-door, cabriolet, AMG, station wagon)
GLE
CLS (4-door coupe, station wagon, AMG)
S-Class (Coupe, sedan, AMG, Maybach)
GLS
G-Wagon

AMG SLC 43
AMG GT Roadster / GT R
AMG CLC 43 Coupe
AMG GLE 43 Coupe

*Some of these may not be sold in India, but this is the rough line-up that I could recall. Do add to the list incase I have missed anything.

Last edited by blackwasp : 30th July 2018 at 12:22.
blackwasp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 12:43   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It will be more like a Sedan than the Coupe (CLA). Guys with a family will definitely pick this over CLA for practicality. They will have new customers for the sedan at a lower price point the C Class who may otherwise have gone elsewhere. I think these can co-exist.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 18:06   #26
Senior - BHPian

Got this from Carscoops:

Quote:
Mercedes-Benz keeps expanding its most compact model line – and this is the latest. It’s the new A-Class sedan, and it’s running full-speed ahead to the North American market.
Previously revealed in long-wheelbase form for the Chinese market and as a hatchback for Europe, the new standard-wheelbase A-Class sedan sits alongside the CLA four-door coupe and underneath the larger C-Class sedan.

It’s the Silver Star automaker’s rival to the Audi A3 that was similarly be-trunked with US customers in mind, and boasts a rather slippery shape to cheat the wind of its aerodynamic drag.

At 179.1 inches (4,549 mm) long and riding on a 107.4-inch (2,729-mm) wheelbase, the standard-wheelbase model is 2.3 inches (60 mm) shorter than the version being made in China – but it still packs everything that Daimler could throw at it.
The subcompact luxury sedan features the latest MBUX infotainment system and a full suite of driver-assistance and safety systems – including GPS-enabled cruise control, emergency braking, and lane-change assist… features you’d expect to find in Benz’s largest sedan, but now packed into its smallest.

Powertrain options are market-dependent. In the US, the sedan will come in A220 guise with a 2.0-liter turbo four producing 188 hp (140 kW) and 221 lb-ft (300 Nm) of torque, mated to a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission and available in either front- or all-wheel drive. Elsewhere it’ll be offered as the A200 with 163 hp (120 kW) and 184 lb-ft (250 Nm) or the A180d with 116 hp (85 kW) and 192 lb-ft (260 Nm).

It’ll also be produced in different locations for different markets. The North American version will be built at the COMPAS plant that Daimler built together with the Renault-Nissan Alliance in Aguascalientes, Mexico.

European examples will be made alongside the hatchback in Rastatt, Germany. And the long-wheelbase version for China is being built by joint venture with BAIC in Beijing. Following its world premiere today in Brooklyn, we’re told to expect the first examples to start showing up in US showrooms later this year.
Looks like they are launching all of them. I reckon India will get the CLA and the A-Class sedan. Mercedez India may launch various trims to diffuse the confusion on pricing.
Old 4th August 2018, 00:13   #27
Senior - BHPian

Here is a short video showing CLA vs A Class Sedan comparison
Latheesh is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks