Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2018, 13:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

Many countries allow usage of Indian driving licences

According to a media report, to attract Indian tourists, many countries are now allowing the usage of Indian driving licences.

Many countries allow usage of Indian driving licences-delhi-license.jpg

To be eligible to drive, tourists must have a driving licence issued in English or should carry an English translation of the same. In countries like France, a French translation of the licence should be carried.

Countries like Australia have started campaigns to draw self-drive tourists and this has led to new specialized self-drive tour operators springing up.

However, there are a number of restrictions in place. Most countries allow Indians to drive for up to 1 year with their driving licence and some countries impose restrictions on the type of vehicle used. There are also restrictions on the location of the drive. For example, Indian licence holders cannot drive in the Northern Territory in Australia.

US, Western Europe, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa are becoming popular destinations for self-drive holidays for Indian tourists.

Source: Times of India

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by ChiragM : 9th October 2018 at 13:54.
ChiragM is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 13:59   #2
BHPian

Re: Many countries allow usage of Indian driving licences

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
According to a media report, to attract Indian tourists, many countries are now allowing the usage of Indian driving licences.

To be eligible to drive, tourists must have a driving licence issued in English or should carry an English translation of the same. In countries like France, a French translation of the licence should be carried.
I have personally driven on my Indian DL umpteen times in US when I am there for Business travel. Have also used my Indian DL for taking rentals in Australia, UK.

OT: Driving a rental for local commute does not make any sense now. With the proliferation of Uber / Lyft, which are re more convenient and cheaper - renting a car is a liability now.

But if you want to do a road trip, it makes sense in renting locally.
GJ01 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 14:23   #3
BHPian

But this isn't exactly new news, is it?

In fact, I'd come across this article before I even properly started reading this forum (this was posted sometime in 2015 IIRC, the date mentioned is the last updated one):
Link

In fact, links such as the above and about road trips to Thailand coupled with watching videos of AutoCar India's sponsored trips to Thailand and Europe was one of the key drivers in my desire for an expedition vehicle.

Last edited by Mu009 : 9th October 2018 at 14:24. Reason: Added some stuff.
Mu009 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 15:10   #4
BHPian

Well this is not new fact or not new news.

As far as I know in Germany you are allowed to drive

1. For first 6 months
2. 1 year in case if you show proof that you are returning after 1 year.
3. If you are staying in country for less than 180 days in a year.
sushantr5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 16:08   #5
BHPian

Guys in this thread can we compile a list of all the countries where we can drive with Indian DL along with the conditions necessary. It will be really helpful.
zulfi hansi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 16:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

On a lighter note, it appears that these countries don't have an idea how driving licenses are issued in India. Just scrolling the page down a little bit I come across this thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...dia-bogus.html (Gadkari says 30% of driving licences in India are bogus)

To me, this move may be convenient, but may turn out to be a pain in the neck after some time (and incidents)
Old 9th October 2018, 17:30   #7
BHPian

I have driven in the following countries on my Indian Driving License while on vacation-

1. UK
2. Ireland
3. Germany
4. Czech Republic
5. USA
6. Netherlands

In all countries I rented the car through Sixt. They only needed my Indian license and my passport. Did not even ask for the IDL.
Also rented through Turo in the US. There again they required only my Indian DL and passport.

My license is in English and is the "smart" type with a chip embedded in it.
veedub89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 17:52   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

This is literally old news.

The only change I have seen and I believe is relevant is the smart card issuance by RTOs across the countries. I have faced (and still see a few cases) issues when the DL is paper based.

What hasn't changed is the acceptance of Indian driving experience as valid driving experience for obtaining a local DL. For e.g. in the US, my 14+ years of driving experience isn't considered as past driving experience. Don't know about other countries, but my guess is the situation wouldn't be much different.
Old 11th October 2018, 06:59   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
What hasn't changed is the acceptance of Indian driving experience as valid driving experience for obtaining a local DL. For e.g. in the US, my 14+ years of driving experience isn't considered as past driving experience. Don't know about other countries, but my guess is the situation wouldn't be much different.
Australia considered my past driving experience when applying for a local drivers licence. The same was also taken into account when working out my insurance premiums when I bought a car. Helped with bringing down the premiums, as compared to if I was a new driver.
Old 11th October 2018, 07:38   #10
BHPian

These embassy and consulates guys, they must be driving or being driven around in our cities. I mean the foreigners.
It is surprising there is no blanket ban on Indians from driving in their countries. More so with countries that have consulates in Bangalore! Arent they worried about chaos in their country? I wouldn't be surprised if some country put a stamp on their visa stating - NOT ALLOWED TO DRIVE A VEHICLE.
SCORPION is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 08:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Australia considered my past driving experience when applying for a local drivers licence. The same was also taken into account when working out my insurance premiums when I bought a car. Helped with bringing down the premiums, as compared to if I was a new driver.
But unlike driver's from any other western country, you still had to go through two theory tests and a driving test just like any other brand new driver. The only difference being, you were given a full licence while a new driver would be given a probationary licence.
Old 11th October 2018, 10:11   #12
BHPian

Any idea if we can drive in Dubai on our Indian DL.
Old 11th October 2018, 10:31   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
Any idea if we can drive in Dubai on our Indian DL.
If you have a valid international licence issued by Indian authorities and if you are on a tourist visa ,you are permitted to drive in DUBAI.
Old 11th October 2018, 12:07   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
But unlike driver's from any other western country, you still had to go through two theory tests and a driving test just like any other brand new driver. The only difference being, you were given a full licence while a new driver would be given a probationary licence.
One theory test, and a practical exam. But then again, so did my friend who migrated from the UAE with a Dubai driving licence.

Most Viewed