Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2018, 13:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Lexus creates world's first AI-scripted ad

According to a media report, Lexus has debuted the world's first advertisement scripted by artificial intelligence. The 60-second ad was created for the launch of the ES sedan in Europe and was directed by Kevin Macdonald.

Creative agency The&Partnership London and technical partner Visual Voice teamed up with IBM's Watson AI system to create the ad. 15 years' worth of footage from car and luxury brand campaigns was analysed. Watson then identified common elements that it found emotionally intelligent and entertaining. The Watson team also fed it data by online video marketplace Unruly to learn which moments connected strongly with viewers and also data from a study conducted by the University of New South Wales in Australia, which analysed how people who have high levels of intuition respond to car advertising.

Using the data provided, Watson created a script flow and outline. The agencies then built a story around it. Even though the AI platform gave an emotional script, the storytelling was done by human hand.

The story is about a Lexus technician who is signing off a new Lexus ES and is sad to see it depart from the factory. The vehicle ends up at a crash test facility. However, the crash test does not go through as the car's autonomous emergency braking system cuts in. Watson determined that it wanted to showcase the value and effectiveness of the vehicle's technology. The ad will be shown on the TV and will also be shown on digital, social and cinema platforms across Europe. Lexus is currently working on a behind-the-scenes video of the making of the ad.

Source: Variety

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by ChiragM : 22nd November 2018 at 13:32.
ChiragM is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 14:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Lexus creates world's first AI-scripted ad

So, what is the message they want to convey with this advt?

You cannot ever crash this car or even run through something if you wanted to or the braking and tires on it have superb grip

Am confused!

And also, the technician feeling sad for a mass produced car?
HappyWheels is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 15:46   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
So, what is the message they want to convey with this advt?

You cannot ever crash this car or even run through something if you wanted to or the braking and tires on it have superb grip

Am confused!
Me too.
By the way, are they saying the build is so strong that not a single part of the car gets torn/ripped apart even after the strong pulling?

I thought the front member would get ripped off like it happened in this thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...t-members.html (S-Cross' suspicious build: Towing rips out the tow hook & front members)
pkulkarni.2106 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 20:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
Me too.
By the way, are they saying the build is so strong that not a single part of the car gets torn/ripped apart even after the strong pulling?

I thought the front member would get ripped off like it happened in this thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...t-members.html (S-Cross' suspicious build: Towing rips out the tow hook & front members)
After looking at the Advertisement, I definitely feel that need of the hour is Natural Intelligence but not Artificial Intelligence. I simply can not follow the flow of this Advertisement.

Having said that, if Watson had scripted such Advertisement for "tin can platform mileage cars" sold in India by searching online auto forums, AI would have scored brownie points in my books. Naturally the tin can car doesn't want to get involved in a crash test where it will be shamed by abysmal crash worthiness score.
recshenoy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 21:40   #5
BHPian

The idea that this car cannot be crash tested is nice. But I would have been excited to see some light flavor with a bit of comedy elements rather than seeing an emotional technician. Something like a doggy averse for bathing, is being dragged to a pipe, and the doggy breaking the shackles and not reaching the water could have at-least made it fun to watch. May be majority of the population is preferring a sad technician over a funny dog!!

Last edited by petrol_power : 22nd November 2018 at 21:41.
petrol_power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 09:25   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

What an incredibly STUPID ad . Good they came out with it as it proves that AI isn't for anything & everything, least of all the creative world. Some things are just best left to humans .

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
After looking at the Advertisement, I definitely feel that need of the hour is Natural Intelligence but not Artificial Intelligence.
Hahahaha! Well said, man.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 09:05   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Daft advertisement. One should say no more.

Neither the content of the Advertisement nor the attribute of being created by AI are qualities being sought by their customers.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 09:32   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
After looking at the Advertisement, I definitely feel that need of the hour is Natural Intelligence but not Artificial Intelligence. I simply can not follow the flow of this Advertisement.
+ 1
Just could not relate to the flow there

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What an incredibly STUPID ad . Good they came out with it as it proves that AI isn't for anything & everything,

And IBM itself calls it Augmented Intelligence. (Smart on their part, me thinks).
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 09:37   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

One must remember that artificial intelligence is taught by man.. but like all things artificial it lacks the soul. The soul is the single definite representation of consciousness.. something gained by living life in all its vagaries and refined by experiences, interpersonal and holistic. AI is merely a set of rules and programs with a single intent to manipulate and create an illusion of humanness. It is like a synthetic pet dog (Sony AIBO).. nothing matches the affections and learning abilities of a real dog though.

This ad lacks soul.. from the start it focuses on the product, has no natural story-line or flow and I'm really not aware if the Lexus is so powerful in an auto emergency braking that it has the ability to grind to a halt with no damage to its bumper even with an external mechanized pulley constantly exerting forward force to it, if it is true then I'm stunned by the engineering, if not then the ad is an exaggeration and is possibly an AI blunder as it focused merely on the human emotion of fear and uncertainty (with horror music adding to the effects) and then promoting the product to boost the safety aspect of the AI within the car.

We need real people in factories, boardrooms, shops and cars.. AI is a demon which cannot be exorcised if it spreads too far. The movie I,Robot comes to mind, as also Superman's greatest and most deadly nemesis Brainiac, a self-serving AI program with a single intent to learn and archive all natural intelligence and replace it with AI as machine learning simply cannot understand the existence of life.

Last edited by dark.knight : 24th November 2018 at 09:40.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 09:58   #10
Team-BHP Support

AI ad concept is pretty decent but execution (especially screenplay) is weak. I wonder if Thugs of Hindostan is world's first AI scripted full length movie.

It's OK if car advertisements exaggerate certain aspects, as long as the audience realizes that the exaggeration is intentional (and meant to be humorous). Like this G-class ad:

Last edited by SmartCat : 24th November 2018 at 10:00.
SmartCat is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed