Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2018, 08:59   #16
BHPian

Re: Dubai Driving License - Guide to procuring one of the toughest in the world

Way back in 1992 I got my Dubai driving licence on the first attempt, in a (record) time of 17 days after getting my learner's licence.

I took my lessons with a Pakistani trainer in a Corolla. On day 1 he said "Aap to road ke Shahzade ho, magar aap ko parking nahi ataa". That was because I looked over my shoulder while reversing, Indian style.

He taught me the "formula" for various types of parking, how to keep downshifting from 4 to 1 while braking as I approached a red traffic light, the trick road signs on turns in the usual driving test routes etc.

He consoled me thus "Ek baar licence haath mein aa gaya to jaisa marzi vaisa chalaiye, koi puchnewala nahi hoga".

A few months later he taught my wife as well, and she cleared first time, too.

Even at that time it was common for people to fail multiple times. Getting a licence in less than 5 attempts was considered an achievement. I wonder if it is even tougher now.
benu9714 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 11:16   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Interesting to see there is a freeway based test in Dubai. More interesting is that Australia doesn't have one of those, and I can easily convert my Australian drivers licence to the one in Dubai.
As far as i know, it depends on your Nationality too, just having a driving license from one of the accepted countries does not mean you can get your license converted.
However, if your VISA is from Abu Dhabi you are allowed to appear for the driving test directly, even on an Indian DL. If you fail, you then need driving classes.

Quote:
I really don't get why the employer has to issue a NOC for something as simple as a driving licence! The Gulf countries seriously need to get over this over dependence on the employer for seemingly simple activities.
Certain job levels/ designations and above do not require the NOC, i certainly did not furnish one. This is probably to keep in check in low paid labor getting a license and quitting to find other opportunities immediately.
srs_shetty87 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 19:10   #18
BHPian

Hey Aditya,
That's a pretty nice write-up and congrats on the ride. I'll hijack your thread to boast a little

I landed in UAE, went mad and went on talking about cars that I was seeing; so much manager and colleagues thought they've recruited the wrong guy and confirmed something's wrong when I said "I'm applying for a manual DL and will buy a Subaru STI".

First thing, the general perception being manual DL is for tempo drivers and second they've not heard what a STI is.

I attempted it partly to satisfy that sense of challenge that comes with attempting it. I finally managed to clear it in the third attempt in the final road test.
All in all, the driving and buying experiences here have taught me some very good lessons.
rav11stars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 20:55   #19
BHPian

Congratulations!, Aditya, on getting your license. The UAE is the one of the best places to own and experience all the dream cars- be it luxury cars, American muscle cars, pick ups or anything else that catches ones fancy.

I am in no position to comment because, I got my UAE license in all of 15 minutes. This is because I have a UK driving license. I just had to do the eye test and submit documents and voila!, got mine in just 10 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@aditya9567; The thing seems to be based on the UK procedure Also, UK also includes the AT under the MT but not vice versa. I still have my valid UK license, so can get a Dubai license for the asking.
Yes, conversion is easy enough, but the person holding license from the approved countries should also be a citizen of that country. As in, Indian passport holder with UK license for example cannot convert it to UAE license.
Luckily, my passport is UK and hence, I could convert my license easily.

My wife however, went through the lessons as her UK license had expired, but thankfully she passed the driving test in first attempt. But, I know of people who have done the exam 5-7 times before passing. I think it is important that licenses are given out only after due diligence and assessment, unlike in India where in anyone can get a license. Wish we had stricter licensing rules in India, it could potentially had improved the road manners and traffic sense of drivers and riders in India.

Enjoy your new found motoring freedom and do post a review of the vehicle you have provided a teaser on.

Cheerio!
alphadog is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 02:40   #20
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Congrats @aditya9567

Thanks and congratulations on getting your license as well, a manual that too! I got my license last month and through Galadari Driving School. They had a promo going on and hence was probably able to clear it at around 4200 AED (including the eye test). Remaining schools were charging similar to what you paid. Abu Dhabi is indeed easier, from what I hear. They also have the concept of a golden chance, where you can take a test without any prior classes or lessons. Have you decided on what car you're planning to get?
Galadari in JLT? Already got my car man, 2016 Maxima; my display is the car

Cheers
RJK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 06:47   #21
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations Aditya for getting your license and that too on the first attempt. I can understand the excitement as I got my UK driving license last week on first attempt as well with zero minor faults

I have put up a thread on it yesterday -
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/inter...cal-tests.html (Driving in the UK for Indians - Theory, Hazard Perception & Practical Tests)

Before seeing this thread I had no idea that getting a DL in Dubai is a difficult task. All these years I had the understanding that it is most difficult to get a driving license in the Scandinavian countries and Japan. UK is considered pretty tough as well. Thanks for putting up a thread on this. Also glad to hear that I will get a license easily in Dubai now that I have got an UK license with 10 years validity.
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 09:03   #22
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Aditya, on the license and car!

Brings back memories of my driving lessons and attempts here in Dubai.

In 2003 they had private instructors also, and mine was a Pakistani gentleman in his old Corolla, manual. A very good instructor and a very good & calm person. I did not know driving till then and learnt it during those classes, so his patience was really appreciated.

Got license on my third attempt.

Failed the first one due to nervousness driven silly mistakes. Second was with an old examiner who seems to have had a bad day and failed all 4 of use within a span of 5 minutes.

And the third - took the test with the thought that if this fails, then just take another attempt, no hurry (it wasn't that expensive then and retest dates were given sooner). I did take my time to set the seat position, view mirrors and ensured I maintained the speed limit (was driving on a service road) even though the examiner kept telling me to go faster. And I passed.

Still have the license with 10 years validity, unless the 5 years ones being given now.
HappyWheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 12:20   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post

In 2003 they had private instructors also, and mine was a Pakistani gentleman in his old Corolla, manual.

I agree. Looking back how we prepared for the exams brings back some nice memories. My instructor was also a Pakistani, Pathan to be precise.

Going off just a bit OT, I'd say I've realized why it's said that we should travel the world to gain knowledge. I've realized that not everything is as it seems and this gentleman is the most humble and down-to-earth I met after coming here.

I got my DL in RAK and it's an experience to be remembered. It's funny how the examiners just failed based on their mood. For the final attempt I woke up at 5am and was there for the test by 6am waiting to be put in the first batch.
rav11stars is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 12:50   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
Hey Aditya,
That's a pretty nice write-up and congrats on the ride. I'll hijack your thread to boast a little
I landed in UAE, went mad and went on talking about cars that I was seeing; so much manager and colleagues thought they've recruited the wrong guy and confirmed something's wrong when I said "I'm applying for a manual DL and will buy a Subaru STI".
First thing, the general perception being manual DL is for tempo drivers and second they've not heard what a STI is.
Thanks! Haha, I was in a similar condition, I couldn't wait to get my license and was the first thing I did once I got my IDs in place. Congratulations on the license - did you end up getting an STI? I don't recall seeing too many of them on the 2nd hand market, seemed like a rare car here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
Congratulations!, Aditya, on getting your license. The UAE is the one of the best places to own and experience all the dream cars- be it luxury cars, American muscle cars, pick ups or anything else that catches ones fancy.
I am in no position to comment because, I got my UAE license in all of 15 minutes. This is because I have a UK driving license. I just had to do the eye test and submit documents and voila!, got mine in just 10 minutes.
Yes, conversion is easy enough, but the person holding license from the approved countries should also be a citizen of that country. As in, Indian passport holder with UK license for example cannot convert it to UAE license.
I think it is important that licenses are given out only after due diligence and assessment, unlike in India where in anyone can get a license. Wish we had stricter licensing rules in India, it could potentially had improved the road manners and traffic sense of drivers and riders in India.
Enjoy your new found motoring freedom and do post a review of the vehicle you have provided a teaser on.
Cheerio!
Thanks alphadog! I agree - a strong level of due diligence and assessment is required before handing out a license - helps maintain road rules and manners. That should be supplemented with strict enforcing of rules as well.
Working on the review - have never done an ownership review before, so taking some time . But will post it up soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Galadari in JLT? Already got my car man, 2016 Maxima; my display is the car
Cheers
Yeah - Galadari in JLT. Congratulations on the car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Congratulations Aditya for getting your license and that too on the first attempt. I can understand the excitement as I got my UK driving license last week on first attempt as well with zero minor faults
I have put up a thread on it yesterday -
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/inter...cal-tests.html (Driving in the UK for Indians - Theory, Hazard Perception & Practical Tests)
Before seeing this thread I had no idea that getting a DL in Dubai is a difficult task. All these years I had the understanding that it is most difficult to get a driving license in the Scandinavian countries and Japan. UK is considered pretty tough as well. Thanks for putting up a thread on this. Also glad to hear that I will get a license easily in Dubai now that I have got an UK license with 10 years validity.
Thanks Blackpearl! Getting the license on the first attempt feels really good! I went through your thread and it is quite extensive! While going through it, I could see that a lot of the rules and guidelines apply to Dubai as well - roundabouts, give way etc. A major item missing though, is the "Show me, tell me" questions. Interaction with the examiner is limited to Good morning sir, left?, right?, thank you sir.
I don't think you can get your license transferred though. On further checking, I found out that you need to be a citizen of that particular country and hold a valid DL from that country (from the list). An Indian citizen with a UK license for example, will still have to go through the full process which is quite unfortunate given that the person would have learnt all the nuances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
In 2003 they had private instructors also, and mine was a Pakistani gentleman in his old Corolla, manual. A very good instructor and a very good & calm person. I did not know driving till then and learnt it during those classes, so his patience was really appreciated.
Got license on my third attempt.
Still have the license with 10 years validity, unless the 5 years ones being given now.
Thanks HappyWheels! Yeah, the three different instructors I had were all very nice and informative. Definitely helped in understanding rules quickly.
They give a license valid for 2 years initially. Post 2 years, they extend the validity by 5 years.
aditya9567 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 19:47   #25
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya9567 View Post

Yeah - Galadari in JLT. Congratulations on the car!
Nice. How were they? Did they conduct classes in Al Quoz or around JLT area only? I have to start process for my wife & was considering Galadari since its close, next Cluster to where I stay.

Congratulations on your car too! Presumably you're also in JLT, we could get together sometime

Cheers
RJK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 20:38   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on the license - did you end up getting an STI? I don't recall seeing too many of them on the 2nd hand market, seemed like a rare car here.

Thanks! It'd take a thread to write my buying experience here. In short, I went from STI -> Focus ST -> Mazda6
Considering a number of factors I settled down for the 6. My online gripe right now is probably I should've dug around and gone for a nice pre-owned ride.
Yeh, I too didn't see many STIs here.
rav11stars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 21:05   #27
BHPian

Quote:
[list=1][*]Eye Test: Get an eye test done at any of the RTA authorized eye test centres. They are available at every major mall (Dubai Mall, Mall of Emirates, Marina Mall etc.). The cost will be around AED 150 and will be linked to your Emirates ID.
Congratulation for getting DL in Dubai.
What kind of tests are done for the Eye test?
Does it include test for color blindness and how is this considered in Dubai or any other Countries.
Habanero City is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 05:39   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Incidentally, Galadari is also onwed by Galadari brothers who also own a bunch of other businesses.
The Galadari family also owns the Khaleej Times newspaper, as well as the Ford and Mazda dealerships, in addition to various other businesses from what I remember from my childhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Also glad to hear that I will get a license easily in Dubai now that I have got an UK license with 10 years validity.
Apparently not, as mentioned below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by srs_shetty87 View Post
As far as i know, it depends on your Nationality too, just having a driving license from one of the accepted countries does not mean you can get your license converted.
However, if your VISA is from Abu Dhabi you are allowed to appear for the driving test directly, even on an Indian DL. If you fail, you then need driving classes.
Thanks for confirming. I re-read the link that was provided earlier, and saw how they have cleverly added in that clause, as below:

Quote:
The countries from which citizens can transfer their driving licenses are given below:
Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Kuwait, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom, United States. (Please call RTA on 8009090 for any changes to this list)
Just goes to reaffirm my view that the Gulf countries are amongst the most discriminatory countries in the world.

Quote:
I don't think you can get your license transferred though. On further checking, I found out that you need to be a citizen of that particular country and hold a valid DL from that country (from the list). An Indian citizen with a UK license for example, will still have to go through the full process which is quite unfortunate given that the person would have learnt all the nuances.
Exactly my point. If the focus with well-meant intentions was on the person's ability to drive as per the expected guidelines, then just having passed the test in the designated countries would more than suffice. But ofcourse, they have to add the nationality tag into the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs_shetty87 View Post
Certain job levels/ designations and above do not require the NOC, i certainly did not furnish one. This is probably to keep in check in low paid labor getting a license and quitting to find other opportunities immediately.
Again something I don't agree with. What has the skill to drive got to do with pursuing better job opportunities? More so, when a lot of the jobs mandate having a driving licence as a requirement.

Anyway, my point was not to detract the thread, but more to bring awareness to people who may imagine the Gulf to be countries where the streets are lined with gold, and all you need to do is get there to claim your share. Just wanted to add that I was born in Dubai, lived there for 18 years of my life, and I've realised that as much as the world evolves, the discriminatory practices there never change.
benbsb29 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 05:54   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting write-up! For a city having such a tough process, the large number of accidents that keep happening out there is quite surprising! Usually, there's a strong correlation between both; and one always confirms the other.

And Dubai (and the sister city of Abu Dhabi) do have a large number of accidents! When I asked the localites, they always pointed it towards the tourists/sub-continent drivers and the taxi drivers. But most of the accidents I saw on the roads had no such pattern.

Quote:
Just goes to reaffirm my view that the Gulf countries are amongst the most discriminatory countries in the world.
1000+ agree. One of my core reasons why I will never work in that part of the country. Experienced this in detail in one of my recent consulting assignments over there. But then this is OT, so apologies.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 26th November 2018 at 05:58.
ninjatalli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 07:56   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Interesting write-up! For a city having such a tough process, the large number of accidents that keep happening out there is quite surprising! Usually, there's a strong correlation between both
Agree fully with this. Have never driven in Dubai but have spent some time there on work trips, including a couple of drives between Dubai and Abu Dhabi. Frankly I found virtually everybody tail-gating and saw a couple of accidents, which is something you don’t expect in a country with tough driving tests and draconian punishments for offenses. (I don’t know if this rule still holds, but a close friend’s younger brother was killed in a car accident in the 1980s, when an Indian mechanic without a license rammed into their family car. I understand that the UAE would have executed the man if my friend’s parents had not pardoned him).

Don’t think we should fuss too much about testing Indians - given our terrible driving culture, anyone would want to be careful.
Hayek is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks