Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2018, 00:36   #1
BHPian

Dubai Driving License - Guide to procuring one of the toughest in the world

Ask any petrolhead what his top 5 dream destinations to reside in are, and Dubai will most likely be there. Dubai is a paradise for car lovers for its amazing car market, an absolutely bustling pre-owned market where you can buy anything from a Grand i10 to a Lamborghini with an extremely wide pool of choice, all at rates more affordable than India and an amazing road network to accompany. To enjoy this however, you will need a piece of plastic card that allows you to drive on UAE’s asphalt which is not easy to come by.

Dubai Driving License - Guide to procuring one of the toughest in the world-shutterstock_756060298.jpg

Dubai Driving License - Guide to procuring one of the toughest in the world-dubai_roads.jpg

The Dubai DL is infamous for being one of the toughest to procure in the world. If you’ve heard about it, the entire process is long and exhausting causing a lot of strain on your head and your pocket alike. Getting a license in Dubai is treated as an achievement – so much so that I had to buy samosas for everyone at the office for successfully clearing it. Coming from India where having a DL essentially states that you’re older than 18 and not much else, the full process can be quite intimidating. I’d done extensive research for my license and thought I’d pen down my experience and “wisdom” as I know how hard it can be for someone who wishes to get a license.

Side note – You need a valid UAE DL to drive a car only if you are a resident. An IDP will do just fine if you are on a tourist visa and want to rent cars. However, ensure that the rental company provides you valid insurance for the time you rent out cars.

There are two categories of licenses that Dubai recognizes (TL;DR If you hold an Indian DL jump to point 2),
  1. If you are lucky enough, you will be able to easily transfer your license if you already have an existing DL from any one of 31 approved countries (for easy reference, India isn’t one of them ). The full list and process can be found here. This is a no hassle process and takes all of 15 minutes if you have all the required documents. The approved countries have a DL process which are of similar difficulty / have similar road rules as Dubai and hence the authorities consider it to be good enough.
  2. If you’re one of the poor souls who holds a DL from any of the other countries, you will have to necessarily go through the full process. While I’m not too happy about this distinction, I understand the logic behind it. And now, having completed the exercise, I genuinely believe it is necessary for us to undergo training, regardless of how long one has been driving in India to get accustomed to all the rules, high speed freeway manners etc. This route is what I will be detailing out below.

Fear not though, the Indian driving experience will be useful. I believe that driving conditions in India are extremely difficult and driving in a place like Dubai will be easier, once you understand the rules and get accustomed to it. In addition, the minimum number of classes that you have to take also depends on the number of years you’ve held your home license.
  • No driving license / new student - A minimum of 40 classes (20 hours)
  • Home country license of 2-5 years old - A minimum of 30 classes (15 hours)
  • Home country license more than 5 years old - A minimum of 20 classes (10 hours)

The Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) has licensed 5 driving schools in Dubai. I suggest you shop around and choose one depending on price, location and convenience offered. All of them are equally good / bad and have years of experience with more than 400 cars each (mostly a Nissan Sunny or a Toyota Vios / Yaris as it is called in India) except for Emirates Driving Institute which is bigger, has a better pass rate and is typically more expensive.
  • Emirates Driving Institute
  • Galadari Driving School
  • Al Ahli Driving School
  • Belhasa Driving Centre
  • Dubai Driving Centre

The license, unlike an Indian driving license is different for manual and automatic transmission vehicles. A manual will allow you to drive both types of vehicles while an automatic allows you to drive only automatic vehicles. While your first instinct (like mine was) will be to get a manual license, evaluate if you really will be buying and driving a manual car as managing a manual tranny will add complexity and difficulty to what is already a complicated and hard process. Majority of the cars sold in UAE are automatics, you’ll be hard pressed to find many choices in the second hand market as well and manuals do not hold as much value when you finally want to sell your car off. If you still want to get a manual license, there is an alternate method – secure an automatic license first and then go for an upgrade from automatic to manual. The latter is a simple process where you will not be evaluated on your road driving skills but on your handling of the manual gear system only and is much easier to clear. Bear in mind that you will be charged money if you decide to shift to automatic from manual classes post initiating your driving lessons. So, it is suggested that you make an informed choice and stick with it. As much as I like driving manual cars, I still went for an automatic license because majority of the cars in my consideration set were automatics.

With all this out of the way, the steps to actually get a license are as follows (you will be able initiate the process only after getting your Emirates ID)
  1. Eye Test: Get an eye test done at any of the RTA authorized eye test centres. They are available at every major mall (Dubai Mall, Mall of Emirates, Marina Mall etc.). The cost will be around AED 150 and will be linked to your Emirates ID.

2. Registration: Go to the selected driving school or its branches and register for either automatic or manual driving classes as per your choice. You will need your Emirates ID, Home country driving license, passport copy and a no objection certificate from your employer.

3. Lectures and Theory Test: The training course begins with 8 hours of lectures which can be taken in person or online. The lectures talk about rules and regulations, dos and don’ts and all essential rules that are required. You will then have to get a score over 30 out of 40 questions to clear the test. This will include 5 questions of hazard perception where a short clip is shown and you are supposed to identify the possible hazards arising from the situation. The test is simple where all the questions will be from the theory lectures. To get yourself comfortable, RTA has a mobile app with sample questions where you can practice, or there are multiple practice exams available online. Most questions, if not all will be repeated and hence is fairly easy to clear the test.

4. Evaluation Test: Take this test immediately after the theory test is cleared. Again, a simple one - The examiner will check your familiarity with managing basic operations of a car such as starting a car, moving forward, steering etc. The test is nothing but a simple round in the internal compound of the school. If you have driven a car at all, he will give a green signal for 20 classes or 30 classes as you have applied. You will essentially be cleared to start off at Stage 2 as shown in the below pic.

Dubai Driving License - Guide to procuring one of the toughest in the world-activity-breakdown.png

5. Road and parking classes: Schedule classes for practical training classes on road and parking. Items in stage 2 and 3 will be covered in 8-12 classes while 4 classes will be required for parking training (each class is 30 minutes). You should also make it a point to schedule your internal parking test (if applicable) at the same time as it is difficult to get a slot and will usually get a slot 3-4 days from the time you request for one.

6. Internal parking test (Yard assessment): All the driving schools are moving towards a fully automated RTA internal yard test where no examiner will be present with you during the test. This is to reduce human involvement of RTA examiners, who are all Emiratis. If your driving school has an automated RTA parking test, the driving school will conduct an internal test with one of their own examiners. If not, the RTA test will be with an Emirati examiner. This will be increasingly unlikely as it is almost fully implemented across all driving schools. The assessment will be similar to the main RTA test except that a physical examiner will accompany you instead of it being a fully automated test. The test will assess you on 5 aspects which are commonly required in normal Dubai driving conditions
    • Angle Parking: 60 degree parking forward
    • Garage Parking: 90 degree parking in reverse
    • Parallel Parking in reverse
    • Moving off an incline: Stopping on an inclined surface and moving off with minimal reverse movement
    • Emergency brake: Performing an emergency brake maneuver from a speed of 25-30 kmph to a complete stop at indication by the examiner
    The instructor, during the parking lesson will teach you cues for performing the parking maneuver correctly. These cues include the point at which you are to turn the wheel, straighten out etc. Memorize these moves and apply them and you will clear the test. The internal parking test will be conducted in the same yard as the RTA test. The yard where I had taken the test is provided in the below picture. An important saving grace in this test is that if you clear individual parts of the test, you will not be required to clear them again during the re test.

Dubai Driving License - Guide to procuring one of the toughest in the world-smart-yard-parking.png

7. RTA Yard test: The RTA test is fully automated and incorporates state of the art technology. The test cars are fitted with sensors all round to accurately depict its position in the yard – examiners are able to see a bird’s eye view of the car from a central location similar to what is available in high end luxury cars.

Name:  Bird eye view.PNG
Views: 13684
Size:  75.6 KB

The yard is also fitted with sensors so that it can detect the position of the car and check if it is in the lines as required. The cars are fitted with auto braking mechanisms (similar to safety systems on Volvo and other high end cars) such that if it detects a collision, it will automatically come to a full halt. The cars will also come to a halt also if speeds cross 35 kpmh or cross 4000 rpm. All of these are designed keeping in mind the safety of the learners as there is no instructor / examiner present to prevent an accident. The car is also equipped with cameras inside for the examiners to check if you do the required safety and head checks before initiating a parking. The car is also equipped to take inputs from the handbrake, transmission, dry steering and clutch usage. I personally like the system as it is foolproof and brings in significant levels of objectivity in the entire testing process while reducing human involvement and human errors. There are several candidates who claim that the instructor failed them for a fault which they did not commit. The automation reduces possibilities of such subjectivity.

Once you start the test, you have 20 minutes to complete all 5 tasks. You are free to do them in any order you wish. When you cross the grey boxes indicated on the image, the tablet in the car will tell you the zone / test you are in. For the parking assessment, activating the left indicator will start that part of the test. Ex. You enter into angle parking zone and see that it is occupied, you can move ahead to the garage parking zone, position yourself and then engage the left indicator to start the garage parking test.

For each test, there are offences that will result in an immediate fail (ex. touching yellow lines) and offences which are classified as allowable (dry steering, excess time). However, you are allowed only one allowable offence per parking (each offence is worth 2 demerit points and 4 or more will cause you to fail the particular parking). For a detailed list of checks done, please PM me. If you fail to clear any individual parts of the test, you will be required to pass only those test which you did not clear, i.e. you will have to clear each type of test only once.

8. Driving School Road Test: Once you have cleared the parking test, you will be required to take a road test with the driving school examiner. This will again be similar to the road test conducted by RTA to give you the same experience and practice before the main RTA test. The key checks will be on how you are able to manage the car, work your way into traffic, reading stop and give way signs, lane changes and possibly a parking on public roads. You will be given feedback on your performance and if you do not clear the test, you will have to take a few classes before you attempt the test again, the number of classes will be dependent on your performance in the test.

9. Freeway Driving: Fun classes once you're done with the internal assessment tests - you will train on the freeways for a couple of hours. These are high speed expressways with a minimum speed limit of 60 kmph and a maximum of 120 kmph.

10. RTA Road Test: The finale, the big daddy, the culmination of the full process. The test will be similar to the internal road test, except that it will be conducted by an official examiner from RTA. The test will be done for 3 people at a time. Before you start, check if all passengers are wearing seatbelts, even passengers seated at the back. Follow all instructions provided by your instructors, be confident, dress well and you should be fine. In my experience, RTA examiners though seemingly strict, are fair and if you showcase the correct driving skills, they will not fail you for unfair reasons. The test will be a short drive of 10 – 15 mins in roads surrounding the driving school. Bear in mind though, if you do not clear the RTA test, you will have to take 4 hours of classes before attempting the test again and therefore is an expensive affair (~ AED 1000 per attempt). Driving schools have hence made the internal test more stringent with the aim to reduce financial burden on candidates and also improve their pass rate. So, in a way, it is better to not clear the internal test rather than the RTA test.

The start to end cost starts at a minimum of AED 3500 to AED 4000 for 20 classes if all tests are cleared in the first go with no extra classes. Be sure to ask for discounts and promotions when you inquire with driving schools. The cost will go up with each unsuccessful attempt in tests as you will have to take classes once you fail a test. The cost will also be higher if you choose to take your classes in off hours (weekends, night). On an average, people take 2-3 attempts on each test depending on how well they are able to catch on to the rules. Costs can go up very quickly and hence I suggest you budget for a cost of around AED 6500. If you’re not confident, some schools have a package of unlimited attempts at around AED 9000. While this is expensive, you will not have the pressure of financial loss weighing on your mind while taking a test. I’ve known people who have taken more than 7 attempts, spent months together and inordinate sums of money to get their license, so believe me it is a value proposition for many people. (All stated figures are for the 20 class course)

My cost breakdown is provided below,

Dubai Driving License - Guide to procuring one of the toughest in the world-cost-breakdown.png

If you don’t feel like slumming it out and learning on a Nissan Sunny, have extra dough lying around and want to experience Dubai, there is a VIP package starting at AED 15,000 which gives you priority in securing test slots and lessons in a Porsche Cayenne .

My parting advice would be to be mentally prepared to go through a long and laborious process to get a driving license in Dubai. Do not get disheartened if you do not clear any of the tests and take comfort in the fact that you are not the only one going through this. It can be a humbling experience. Keep sight of the end result – once you're done, it opens up ownership opportunities which you would never have got anywhere in the world.

Last edited by aditya9567 : 23rd November 2018 at 05:07.
aditya9567 is offline   (72) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 05:33   #2
BHPian

re: Dubai Driving License - Guide to procuring one of the toughest in the world

Well, what does the entire laborious time consuming expensive process result in? A piece of important plastic

Dubai Driving License - Guide to procuring one of the toughest in the world-picture2.jpg

Was it worth the effort? Hell Yeah!

Why? Because...

Dubai Driving License - Guide to procuring one of the toughest in the world-dsc_0084.jpg

Name:  ezgif31bf57cef9ada.gif
Views: 13432
Size:  1.48 MB

Ownership Review coming soon
aditya9567 is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 07:19   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: Dubai Driving License - Guide to procuring one of the toughest in the world

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:07   #4
BHPian

Re: Dubai Driving License - Guide to procuring one of the toughest in the world

What an informative thread. Thanks a lot for writing this up. I got my US driver's license without undergoing any driving classes and only if you clear, you need to pay money for your DL. I cleared it on my third attempt. I shot the speed limit by 5MPH in first attempt. Second attempt, it was more due to the inspector being strict as I turned on the car before the she fastened her seat belts.

My wife's cousin brother and his wife are in the process securing the license now in Dubai. Will check and post here on his final amount.

P.S. I guess you got an Audi A6.
hema4saran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:19   #5
Team-BHP Support

Thanks a lot for sharing. Made for an interesting read. More so, since it's amazing to see how much the testing has changed over the years from the time I lived there. The amount of automation brought in is quite fascinating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya9567 View Post
  1. Registration: Go to the selected driving school or its branches and register for either automatic or manual driving classes as per your choice. You will need your Emirates ID, Home country driving license, passport copy and a no objection certificate from your employer.
I really don't get why the employer has to issue a NOC for something as simple as a driving licence! The Gulf countries seriously need to get over this over dependence on the employer for seemingly simple activities.

Quote:
  1. Freeway Driving: Fun classes once you're done with the internal assessment tests - you will train on the freeways for a couple of hours. These are high speed expressways with a minimum speed limit of 60 kmph and a maximum of 120 kmph.
Interesting to see there is a freeway based test in Dubai. More interesting is that Australia doesn't have one of those, and I can easily convert my Australian drivers licence to the one in Dubai.
benbsb29 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:26   #6
Team-BHP Support

Thank you for sharing! That was an interesting account. A few friends had a real hard time getting a license after they settled down in the UAE and lost quite a sum when the rejections happened. Good to hear you aced it.

And congratulations on your new TT. Drive safe man!
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 15:54   #7
BANNED

@aditya9567; The thing seems to be based on the UK procedure Also, UK also includes the AT under the MT but not vice versa. I still have my valid UK license, so can get a Dubai license for the asking.
sgiitk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 17:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

Interesting read. Thank you for detailing the experience. But could you please mention what is meant by "IDP" (International Driving Permit?), "TL;DR" and "dry steering".
thoma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 19:17   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats @aditya9567

My brother, who has driven in several countries got his Abu Dhabi DL 2 years ago just before he purchased his Volvo S60 Polestar. Believe me, he was more tense & worried about his DL tests than he ever was previously..even for his board & University exams. He said it's tough and expensive. So flunking and re-attempting becomes an expensive proposition. Luckily he got through in his 1st attempt.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 19:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats aditya9567 !

Have driven around UAE, I felt, though the driving sense was better, it isn't on par with European countries. Glad to know the driving education is tough.

In your list, there wasn't any mention of taking roundabouts. While passing through the city of Al Ain, I must have encountered around 20 roundabouts and the folks there were taking it at speed. Being on a left-hand drive car and in a left hand traffic, entering a busy roundabouts at 30~40 Kmph was challenging.

Last edited by msdivy : 23rd November 2018 at 19:49.
msdivy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 20:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats aditya9567 and thank you for sharing the process to get DL in Dubai.

I would be really interested in knowing, what lessons are imparted to applicants, when they encounter an accident / emergency? Necessary life saving measures in case of an accident? In your post I could not find any mention of these VERY important aspects, sorry if I missed it !

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 21:01   #12
BHPian

A slightly off topic note but the Belhasa Driving Institute is owned by a multi billionaire and one of the richest men in Dubai, and even his teenage son Rashed who goes by the moniker MoneyKicks is a millionaire.

How did I know? Cringing to admit but I used to watch a channel called Mo Vlogs on youtube which is a huge draw for the vlogger's rich and famous Dubai lifestyle. This was a while back when it focused a lot on expensive and rare cars.

The opulence of some is indeed eye watering.
digitalnirvana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 21:38   #13
BHPian

Congratulations on your Dubai Driving License, Aditya Sir.

It indeed is a very tough and stressful task to procure a DL in the UAE, but totally worth it, specially when you pass the test the first time itself! Telling people that you got a DL in Dubai in the first attempt feels good

The Freeway test seems new to me though, Dad got his DL in Dubai back in 2013 and I don't remember the freeway test being held back then. Sorry if I missed it, but which institute did you learn at? Most people I know have trained at Belhasa, in Jaddaf. Back in 2013, Belhasa was the only institute providing learners with the new Nissan Sunny, while Emirates Driving school and others did with the old one, or a Corolla!

Also, Congratulations on the TT! Don't forget to take her out to Jebel Jais, or a night drive on Jumeirah road!

If you don't mind, here are pictures of our ex - car back in Dubai:
Attached Thumbnails
Dubai Driving License - Guide to procuring one of the toughest in the world-img_0457.jpg  

Dubai Driving License - Guide to procuring one of the toughest in the world-20170106_162212.jpg  

Dubai Driving License - Guide to procuring one of the toughest in the world-img_0188.jpg  

Dubai Driving License - Guide to procuring one of the toughest in the world-img_0574.jpg  

Last edited by Prathiiik : 23rd November 2018 at 21:39.
Prathiiik is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 01:11   #14
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  • Emirates Driving Institute
  • Galadari Driving School
  • Al Ahli Driving School
  • Belhasa Driving Centre
  • Dubai Driving Centre

The start to end cost starts at a minimum of AED 3500 to AED 4000 for 20 classes if all tests are cleared in the first go with no extra classes. Be sure to ask for discounts and promotions when you inquire with driving schools. The cost will go up with each unsuccessful attempt in tests as you will have to take classes once you fail a test. The cost will also be higher if you choose to take your classes in off hours (weekends, night). On an average, people take 2-3 attempts on each test depending on how well they are able to catch on to the rules. Costs can go up very quickly and hence I suggest you budget for a cost of around AED 6500.

My cost breakdown is provided below,

Attachment 1821314
Hey Aditya

Congrats on your license! Your thread brought a smile on my face since I have been through the rigamarole in the recent past

A little curious, when did you finish your tests & through which driving school? I got mine in Aug'18 through Belhasa in Al Quoz & cleared every test in first attempt. Despite that, my cost was around AED 4800.00 (including eye tests etc)!

Despite knowing that most cars are automatic, I still went ahead with Manual tranny; you're right, clearing the driving test was a huge sigh of relief, its a big financial commitment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Congrats @aditya9567

My brother, who has driven in several countries got his Abu Dhabi DL 2 years ago just before he purchased his Volvo S60 Polestar. Believe me, he was more tense & worried about his DL tests than he ever was previously..even for his board & University exams. He said it's tough and expensive. So flunking and re-attempting becomes an expensive proposition. Luckily he got through in his 1st attempt.
AbuDhabi license is supposed to be significantly easier, is what I've been told by my friends & colleagues. Dubai license is a whole different ballgame!

Cheers

Last edited by RJK : 24th November 2018 at 01:17. Reason: Multi-quote
RJK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 03:30   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hema4saran View Post
What an informative thread. Thanks a lot for writing this up. I got my US driver's license without undergoing any driving classes and only if you clear, you need to pay money for your DL. I cleared it on my third attempt. I shot the speed limit by 5MPH in first attempt. Second attempt, it was more due to the inspector being strict as I turned on the car before the she fastened her seat belts.
P.S. I guess you got an Audi A6.
Thanks and congratulations on getting your US license! Yeah, luck plays a factor too. During my test, I almost made an offence which on a bad day would have led to a fail. I got a TT Roadster, by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Thanks a lot for sharing. Made for an interesting read. More so, since it's amazing to see how much the testing has changed over the years from the time I lived there. The amount of automation brought in is quite fascinating.
Interesting to see there is a freeway based test in Dubai. More interesting is that Australia doesn't have one of those, and I can easily convert my Australian drivers licence to the one in Dubai.
The automated yard test is really fascinating once you clear it (before clearing, you're too busy to stop and admire the system ). Information from everything is properly linked (indicator, sensors, parking brake etc.) and works like clockwork. Very little human intervention is required this way.
There is no freeway test - it's only freeway practice that is given. During the road test, only roads with speed limits of 40 kmph and 60 kpmh are driven on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Thank you for sharing! That was an interesting account. A few friends had a real hard time getting a license after they settled down in the UAE and lost quite a sum when the rejections happened. Good to hear you aced it.
And congratulations on your new TT. Drive safe man!
Thanks Gannu! I've been an ardent reader of your thread and it has been quite an inspiration. I don't plan to do any mods on my TTR for now, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@aditya9567; The thing seems to be based on the UK procedure Also, UK also includes the AT under the MT but not vice versa. I still have my valid UK license, so can get a Dubai license for the asking.
Yes, you can easily transfer your valid UK license here - nationality does not matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Interesting read. Thank you for detailing the experience. But could you please mention what is meant by "IDP" (International Driving Permit?), "TL;DR" and "dry steering".
Yes - IDP is the International Driving Permit (Link) with which you are allowed to drive in select countries. Getting one is fairly simple, you just need to go to the RTO and apply for one. TL;DR is short for Too Long, Didn't Read - "internet lingo" for providing a summary / skip.
Dry steering is the act of turning the steering wheel while the car is stationary. Repeated dry steering can potentially harm the wheels as it is essentially tearing the tires against the rough tarmac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Congrats @aditya9567
That's great to hear! And an S60 Polestar, wow - was definitely in my consideration set. Unfortunately, couldn't find a good second car within my budget.
A lot of people do tend to get more tense and worried about the DL than important exams. That's why it is treated as an achievement. Although, maybe the entire system needs to be reevaluated if it ends up causing so much stress among people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Congrats aditya9567 !
Have driven around UAE, I felt, though the driving sense was better, it isn't on par with European countries. Glad to know the driving education is tough.
In your list, there wasn't any mention of taking roundabouts. While passing through the city of Al Ain, I must have encountered around 20 roundabouts and the folks there were taking it at speed. Being on a left-hand drive car and in a left hand traffic, entering a busy roundabouts at 30~40 Kmph was challenging.
Thanks a lot! Its completely believable that European countries have better driving sense. I've seen many people here who break rules and do quick lane changes etc.
True, roundabouts can be initially challenging but it gets easier once you get used to it. Roundabouts are indeed part of the training, activity 3.12 in the activity list I shared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Congrats aditya9567 and thank you for sharing the process to get DL in Dubai.
I would be really interested in knowing, what lessons are imparted to applicants, when they encounter an accident / emergency? Necessary life saving measures in case of an accident? In your post I could not find any mention of these VERY important aspects, sorry if I missed it !
Spike
You haven't missed anything, there are no lessons regarding emergency measures and I agree, there should be some knowledge imparted on these aspects. I noticed though, that the RTA booklet handed on opening the traffic file, has instructions on what to do in case of an accident. I guess it is a matter of including them in the test / lessons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
A slightly off topic note but the Belhasa Driving Institute is owned by a multi billionaire and one of the richest men in Dubai, and even his teenage son Rashed who goes by the moniker MoneyKicks is a millionaire.
How did I know? Cringing to admit but I used to watch a channel called Mo Vlogs on Youtube which is a huge draw for the vlogger's rich and famous Dubai lifestyle. This was a while back when it focused a lot on expensive and rare cars. The opulence of some is indeed eye watering.
Haha yup, Belhasa Driving Institute is owned by Saif Ahemd Belhasa, a construction billionaire. Incidentally, Galadari is also onwed by Galadari brothers who also own a bunch of other businesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prathiiik View Post
Congratulations on your Dubai Driving License, Aditya Sir.
It indeed is a very tough and stressful task to procure a DL in the UAE, but totally worth it, specially when you pass the test the first time itself! Telling people that you got a DL in Dubai in the first attempt feels good
The Freeway test seems new to me though, Dad got his DL in Dubai back in 2013 and I don't remember the freeway test being held back then. Sorry if I missed it, but which institute did you learn at? Most people I know have trained at Belhasa, in Jaddaf. Back in 2013, Belhasa was the only institute providing learners with the new Nissan Sunny, while Emirates Driving school and others did with the old one, or a Corolla!
Also, Congratulations on the TT! Don't forget to take her out to Jebel Jais, or a night drive on Jumeirah road!

If you don't mind, here are pictures of our ex - car back in Dubai:
Thanks for the good wishes and pictures of your CRV - looks lovely. As specified earlier, there is no specific freeway test. Looking forward to driving to Jebel Jais and many other potential road trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Hey Aditya
Congrats on your license! Your thread brought a smile on my face since I have been through the rigamarole in the recent past
A little curious, when did you finish your tests & through which driving school? I got mine in Aug'18 through Belhasa in Al Quoz & cleared every test in first attempt. Despite that, my cost was around AED 4800.00 (including eye tests etc)!
Despite knowing that most cars are automatic, I still went ahead with Manual tranny; you're right, clearing the driving test was a huge sigh of relief, its a big financial commitment!
AbuDhabi license is supposed to be significantly easier, is what I've been told by my friends & colleagues. Dubai license is a whole different ballgame!
Cheers
Thanks and congratulations on getting your license as well, a manual that too! I got my license last month and through Galadari Driving School. They had a promo going on and hence was probably able to clear it at around 4200 AED (including the eye test). Remaining schools were charging similar to what you paid. Abu Dhabi is indeed easier, from what I hear. They also have the concept of a golden chance, where you can take a test without any prior classes or lessons. Have you decided on what car you're planning to get?
aditya9567 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks