Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2019, 18:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai showcases Smartphone-based Digital Key

Hyundai has developed a Digital Key which allows users to unlock and start their vehicles using their smartphone. This technology is expected replace traditional keys on Hyundai and Kia vehicles later this year.

Hyundai showcases Smartphone-based Digital Key-hyundai-motor-group-develops-smartphonebased-digital-key_press-photo1.jpeg

The Digital Key can be downloaded via a cell phone application. It uses Near Field Communication (NFC) technology to detect the presence of an authorized Digital Key-enabled phone close to the vehicle door. The NFC antenna to unlock the front doors is located in the door handles and for starting the engine is located inside the wireless charging pad.

Once the vehicle is unlocked, mirrors, seats, steering wheel, controls for the infotainment system and head-up display are set according to the user preference automatically. These settings are stored in the vehicle.

Hyundai showcases Smartphone-based Digital Key-hyundai-motor-group-develops-smartphonebased-digital-key_press-photo2.jpg

The Digital Key can also be used to remotely lock or unlock the vehicle, start the engine and activate the alarm. According to the company, these features will be useful when autonomous parking features are commercialized. The key can be used to set specific levels of access for different users for a defined period. It can be programmed to support hassle-free vehicle rental and car-sharing.

Hyundai will provide a conventional key or card type key, which can be used wherever handling a digital key is not feasible, for instance when using a valet service or visiting a repair shop.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 18:42   #2
BHPian

Re: Hyundai showcases Smartphone-based Digital Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
This technology is expected replace traditional keys on Hyundai and Kia vehicles later this year.

Why are often companies often eager to fix something that isn't broken? The physical key system is near perfect for it's purpose in the present times.

The digital key shall make sense only when full autonomous vehicles are launched.
Old 6th March 2019, 19:00   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post

Why are often companies often eager to fix something that isn't broken? The physical key system is near perfect for it's purpose in the present times.

The digital key shall make sense only when full autonomous vehicles are launched.
This is only an additional feature that they are providing. The physical key is not going away anywhere anytime soon. So that's ok I guess.
Zappo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 19:42   #4
Team-BHP Support

I don't mind change, especially when things get cooler. My only skepticism with technological changes of such nature are privacy/security concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
Why are often companies often eager to fix something that isn't broken?
This is not a fix; it is an enhancement. A digital key may well be sort of a bellwether of more prominent changes coming up. Especially in areas where IoT can change the way we interact with cars.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 16:10   #5
BHPian

No thanks!
My phone battery always runs out by the end of the day; I dont want to be stranded at some place with no phone and a car that cannot be unlocked because the phone is dead.
nishsingh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 17:02   #6
BHPian

Tesla has been doing this with Bluetooth Low Energy to detect when the owner is near. Doesn't require that 'tapping your phone to the sensor' and works only in close proximity.

If your battery dies, you have a credit card sized NFC backup card in your wallet.
typlo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 12:42   #7
BHPian

My only concern is having everything in one place i.e. phone.
This includes getting your OTP confirmation, Using phone instead of Credit card for payment, paying with phone using paytm etc. These are all apart from acting as our contact storer, Scheduler, mails, entertainment, music and what else.

If phone is dead suddenly then we may be stuck unless we have backup options. Oh wait, i think we should use phone as backup option for most of the above and not as primary option.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks