Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2007, 23:51   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
No of course not PH! I bet there are hundreds & thousands of 959's & Carerra GT's doing the rounds of the car supermarkets right now!!

I would rank Porsche as high as Ferrari & Lambo if not higher. They might not have as much charisma but they do have much more engineering prowess & reliability than both the brands combined. If you however choose to equate character & heritage with the number of times the car breaks down on you then that's another factor altogether.

And just for the record how many times have Ferrari & Lamborghini won International races or championships? If we consider Lemans or the other 24hr races then Porsche beats both of them combined by an unbelievable margin. They infact have the record for the maximum number of Lemans races won by a manufacturer ever! Apart from F1 Ferrari stands nowhere & the less said about Lambo in this matter the better.
Its all about money lying around, porsche has plenty from the VW side and its high profit margins and so does Ferrari from over the years. Lambo will get into it soon but they are trying to maintain their exotic outlook by selling somewhere in the 3000 cars a year range which makes it really difficult to support an expensive racing team, but you will soon a Murci RGT running around and taking some titles i hope. And which Ferrari and Lambo have you seen broken down on the side of the road atleast which modern ferrari or lambo? Well I have seen my share of porsche's that have broken down as well, so its not what you think. Porsche are great cars and i am not dennying it one bit but when you say exotic it adds a little more to the meaning of car than just speed. That is what Porsche is missing. Sorry in india Porsche could be considered an exotic not in the US or europe.

BTW iraghava the cars that you hear that have broken down are the ones that have not been driven at all and are garage queens. Unfortunately for the brands, the people who are able to afford these cars hardly drive them, thats y you see 5-6 yr old lambos and ferraris being sold in less than 10k mile range which can only mean that they didnt use it, Let me have my hand on a ferrari lambo, i would probably be taking it to the supermarket and putting atleast 10k a year on the car..

Last edited by 1Day : 24th January 2007 at 23:56.
Old 25th January 2007, 00:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day View Post
Super Luxury / Sport Car Brands MB, BMW, Porsche
Exotics / Super Luxury Aston Martin, Maserati, Bentley
Super Exotics / Absolute top luxury Ferrari, Lambo, Maybach, RR
This is very interesting, could you please explain the sub-categorisation further? Considering, that at some point all MB, BMW, Porsche, AM, Maserati, Ferrari and Lambo are fighting for the same piece of the pie.

If the 997 Carrera 4S were to cost somewhere around 80,000 pounds, and the AM Vantage costs somewhere around 80,000 pounds, how is one super luxury and the other exotic?

Let's take another example, the Ferrari F430 costs around about 120,000 pounds. The Porsche 997 Turbo, offers everthing the F430 does and more for about 100,000 pounds. Is that why the Porsche doesn't cut it as an Exotic manufacturer? The generally overpriced Porsche now seems a little VFM, but that's impossible since they make $28,000 per car.
Old 25th January 2007, 00:08   #18
BANNED

well it depends on who has made thses sub-categorisation's and on what basis.
Old 25th January 2007, 10:22   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Its all about money lying around, porsche has plenty from the VW side
Nope, its Porsche which bought a share into VW. Not the other way around. They did this as part of a measure to avoid takeover bids.

Porsche almost went bankrupt last decade. So its not like they have always had money lying around.
Old 25th January 2007, 11:39   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
This is very interesting, could you please explain the sub-categorisation further? Considering, that at some point all MB, BMW, Porsche, AM, Maserati, Ferrari and Lambo are fighting for the same piece of the pie.

If the 997 Carrera 4S were to cost somewhere around 80,000 pounds, and the AM Vantage costs somewhere around 80,000 pounds, how is one super luxury and the other exotic?

Let's take another example, the Ferrari F430 costs around about 120,000 pounds. The Porsche 997 Turbo, offers everthing the F430 does and more for about 100,000 pounds. Is that why the Porsche doesn't cut it as an Exotic manufacturer? The generally overpriced Porsche now seems a little VFM, but that's impossible since they make $28,000 per car.
Brother, that was a rough generalization not an exact science, its perception i was putting on paper not a set of guidelines. Porsche has never been considered an exotic. I can buy a 911 Turbo but cant even think about an F430 or a Gallrdo.

The 911 Turbo fully equiped is 135-145k, a F430 fully equiped is about 210-225k same goes for the gallardo, so I dont know what pie you talking about. a CL65 AMG costs about 185k doesnt make MB an exotic brand.

Porsche has always been ranked as a top notch sports car manufacturer and not an expotic. AMV8 is about the same price as GT3 but then the brand name AM has an exotic lable to it because of its vanquish and DB9 products, its just that they decided to go down market. Ferrari is planning on going down market with a Dino, that wouldnt make Ferrari a house hold brand??

My point is exotic is just not by price tag and speed, it needs an "X-factor" if you will which porsche has been missing for years and years now which they tried to bring with carrera GT but failed miserably(only by sales not as a car). Thats all, you like porsche which is well and good, i do too but that dont make it exotic.
Old 2nd February 2007, 15:12   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Well, keep in mind that they have also received a sizeable dividend from VW which added to the bottomline. Nevertheless, Porsche is by far the most profitable car maker.
Porsche denies $28,000 per car : Linky
Old 15th November 2008, 17:54   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Porsche denies $28,000 per car : Linky
hehehe,
methinks customers started asking for discounts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks