Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2007, 23:17   #1
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Merc's own Black edition!

To start things off 'ÁMG'is not about to start making cars with less horsepower for sure,although the emphasis is shifting to greater efficiency, weight reduction,more choices in terms of interiors and greater personalisation. When Volker Mornhinweg explains 500 bhp+ is being on the right level and suggesting a bit more,he means the new forthcoming hot versions of the new 6.3 litre V8,Amg's first ground -up engine.
With 514bhp in the Naturally aspirated form and 571bhp or 707bhp with the turbo charged version, Mr.Mornhinweg decides to roll out a range of stripped out, track friendly, AMG black models.(hey dont worry they'll come in several color variants..lol!)
Expensive,fast and uncompromising they start off with the SLK55 powered by a 5.5 litre V8 at 400bhp via a tweaked valve timing, new headers and a free-flow.Also letting go of its folding metal top in favor of a carbon fibre version not only reducing weight by 50% on the roof but also lowering the centre of gravity.
The front wings have also gone carbon and reprofiled with a cooling vent to dissipate heat on the six pot brakes.The new 19inchers that save 31kgs over the standard rims look and feel each bit of the part.
I'm wondering if the 2 suspension settings would be enough,considering that ones called the Nurburgring set up, specifically for lapping the Nordschleife with firmer damping and better body control and the other reads (road) just wont knock your teeth out!..it will still make you hold on to the plastic handles bolted onto the carbon door inserts taken directly for the SLK pace Car...
All in all saying that the SLK black edition is not just specced up.It looks,feels and sounds every bit special! So go on take it to the track and hammer it around or just concentrate on driving through city traffic with utmost ease from the 383lb ft@ 5000rpm torque band...that is ofcourse if you are deciding to spend about 15 lakhs over the standard SLK55.

INFO:the net, car magazine and others...
Old 25th January 2007, 23:27   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

They should put some aliens behind it and watch it drive on the ceilings of tunnels inverted.
Old 26th January 2007, 01:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

They are trying to do a CSL type version, I am sure it would be good, but mercedes still needs a stick and or a true SMG style gear box with some really good driving dynamics and handling..

but sh!t(in all goodness) like this is most welcome, i would love to see a SLR Black Diamond edition(probably what 722 was but a bit more wild)
Old 26th January 2007, 10:17   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxx View Post
The new 19inchers that save 31kgs over the standard rims look and feel each bit of the part.
That is insane!!

On the Elise, they designed new wheels and put in a radio with the saved weight.

On the SLK you get the new wheels and you can put an anorexic supermodel in there with the saved weight!

cya
R
Old 26th January 2007, 20:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
That is insane!!

On the Elise, they designed new wheels and put in a radio with the saved weight.

On the SLK you get the new wheels and you can put an anorexic supermodel in there with the saved weight!

cya
R
I think they mistook 31 lb for 31 kg, there is no way in hell they could have saved that much until the damn new wheels are made out of air..

I have super light alloys(3 piece) that saved may be 5-6 lb per wheel and some carbon wheels which are probably the lightest wheels i believe are only 2-3 lb lighter than mine. so case in point the saving was probably about 8lb per wheel which is acceptable and as a rolling weight is huge huge!! so about 31lb andnot 31kg as noted in the article, until the AMG wheels were made from rock.
Old 26th January 2007, 23:58   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day View Post
I think they mistook 31 lb for 31 kg, there is no way in hell they could have saved that much until the damn new wheels are made out of air..
I agree with you 1day,

I doubted that figure the minute i saw it, but there was no link to follow up and i was too lazy to do a search.

I was wondering if 31kg was a typo for 3.1kg, but thats no feat. Didnt realise it could have been 31lbs....makes a lot more sense...

cya
R

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks