Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2021, 12:10   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Japan: Mitsubishi Pajero / Montero production to end by August 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by skx007 View Post
Well I guess Mitsubishi have milked it as far as possible. Sadly, the current 4th generation Pajero's are an absolute disgrace to the brand.
Interesting you say that, considering the Gen 4 is an evolution of the Gen 3, pretty much. So what does the Gen 4 fail in, that made the Gen 3 and earlier hallowed?

Quote:
This is the main reason people stopped taking it seriously. The "facelifted" model introduced every year essentially means changing the position of the badge and design of the tail-mounted spare wheel. Living in the middle-east and having seen hundreds of these on the road, its telling something when people still prefer the 2nd gen's ,with their utilitarian interiors, than to the new one's with its creature comforts but bone-jarring suspension. The old Pajero's A/C might not work but they will rarely die on you in the middle on road, while the new ones feel dead to drive and have absolutely no durability. Mitsubishi has sadly allowed the legacy of this amazing brand to die and it may finally time to put it to rest.
Once again, surprising to hear as all other ownership reviews on the web and forums say otherwise.

As for facelifts, and new spare wheel covers, you might know that the Land Cruiser 200 series has been around since 2008. As much the same time as the Gen 4 Pajero was released. The next gen is on its way now, in 2021 or later. So, such a lifespan is common.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 13:05   #17
BHPian

To this day I remember a 12 year old me drooling over a silver beast on the cover of an Overdrive magazine, introduced to us noobs as the wheels of choice for every celebrity worth their salt. The Pajero was one of the cars that started what has turned out to be a lifelong love affair with cars, so this is quite a sad day for me in particular. I hope it comes back to the world somehow, somewhere, perhaps in a different avatar. Some legends just shouldn't be allowed to die.

Should it make a return to India, I'd like it to be the last car I ever buy.

Japan: Mitsubishi Pajero / Montero production to end by August 2019-maxresdefault-1.jpg
(image source- picked off Google images)
Sudarshan42 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 13:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan42 View Post
I hope it comes back to the world somehow, somewhere, perhaps in a different avatar. Some legends just shouldn't be allowed to die.
You wouldn't want to trust Mitsubishi on that

In fact lets just hope Mitsubishi lets the brand name Pajero lie in peace rather than assigning it to entirely different vehicle like they mindlessly did for relaunched Eclipse which is a half hearted CUV.

Last edited by amol4184 : 18th May 2021 at 13:46.
amol4184 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 13:58   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Interesting you say that, considering the Gen 4 is an evolution of the Gen 3, pretty much. So what does the Gen 4 fail in, that made the Gen 3 and earlier hallowed?

Once again, surprising to hear as all other ownership reviews on the web and forums say otherwise.

As for facelifts, and new spare wheel covers, you might know that the Land Cruiser 200 series has been around since 2008. As much the same time as the Gen 4 Pajero was released. The next gen is on its way now, in 2021 or later. So, such a lifespan is common.
I may have ranted away a little. Gen 4 is by no means a failure, in fact here in the Middle East it is a resounding success. The main reason being, it is the most reliable cost effective option for a lot of company fleet cars. A lot of company need SUV's as fleet cars for various off road Oil & Gas activities. My dad was assigned a 3.5L GLS Pajero (2016) for a 4 year duration and my experience driving one primarily stems from that. It had engine trouble (breakdown and over heating) as well as brake failure within 2 years. His vehicle fleet coordinator told him that many similar issues were also reported by other owners in what were essentially brand new vehicles. The interior also had many loose fittings and steadily made more noises and creaks as the usage increased. While the Super Select 4 wheel drive is sufficient and does the job, it is not the smoothest of drive trains. Highway rides are uncomfortable with the firm suspension. I say this in comparison with similar SUV's like Prado's or even Fortuner which is priced similar.

I don't have an issue with them making only incremental design changes for every facelift. I do have an issue with them maintaining a sub standard ride experience and outdated interiors even after being more than a decade in production. High demand in the ME for these cars does not translate to high demand among normal customers. As I said they are primarily an option for fleet cars and ordinary buyers rarely choose to buy Pajero anymore. Current 4th gen resale value is also very low. Mitsubishi knows this and might be why they continue to sell the car as it is, for as long as possible.
skx007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 05:24   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My dad was assigned a 3.5L GLS Pajero (2016) for a 4 year duration and my experience driving one primarily stems from that. It had engine trouble (breakdown and over heating) as well as brake failure within 2 years. His vehicle fleet coordinator told him that many similar issues were also reported by other owners in what were essentially brand new vehicles. The interior also had many loose fittings and steadily made more noises and creaks as the usage increased. While the Super Select 4 wheel drive is sufficient and does the job, it is not the smoothest of drive trains. Highway rides are uncomfortable with the firm suspension. I say this in comparison with similar SUV's like Prado's or even Fortuner which is priced similar.
Since you speak from personal experience, I wont be debating it. Unfortunate to hear, and explains why you have a poor opinion of the Gen 4.

I own a Pajero Gen 4, 3.2L diesel 2010 model. Sitting pretty at 212,200 kms and having owned it for close to 6 years now, it is the epitome of reliability in my books. My car regularly does beach runs, trails and long distance touring, and is pretty much fill-n-go with regular preventive maintenance.

I agree with your view about the firm ride quality, which stems from the stiff suspension and monocoque structure. I have called this out to owners-to-be on certain threads in the What Car section of this forum as well. I drove my friend's Prado, and yes the ride quality is soft and bouncy on those, no doubt. However, try taking a turn in some speed and you can feel the Prado go all wallowy and eager to be done with it. One may say a truck of this nature is not meant to be used for corner carving, and I agree. However, when it comes to a moment of having to make a quick swerve on a highway because an animal jumped in the way, I know which car I would prefer to be in.

I am a member of the Pajero forum which has members from across the world, and the majority opinion is on how reliable the Pajero is, hence my surprise.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 19th May 2021 at 05:27.
benbsb29 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 08:36   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Mitsubishi phases out Pajero with Final Edition
An iconic SUV that was the only true competitor to the equally-iconic Landcruiser. This particular Pajero generation (sold as the Montero in India) had an excellent diesel engine, comfy ride quality, excellent reliability, a good 4x4 and style. HM & Mitsubishi India destroyed it here. Globally too, Mitsubishi flogged this chassis for way too long. It's been around since the late '90s. In the same time period that this one has been on sale, we have seen FOUR Landcruiser generations (80-Series, 100, 200 and recently, the 300).

Not the car's fault. Mitsubishi overall weakened as a company and was too strapped for cash to develop new Pajeros & Lancers. Still, a great SUV for its time .
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 10:25   #22
BHPian

The Fear-Of-Missing-Out is getting real day by day. As 26 year old who is trying hard to save money to one day get into a BIG 4x4 Diesel, things are not looking that good.

I have experienced the Montero closely as my uncle owns one. That vehicle has been to all ends of India without any mechanical failures (Leh, Rajasthan, Kerela, Darjeeling etc). It's 14 years old, sitting at over 1L Kms and the only major thing changed was one shock-absorber.

Every time I see it roll on the tarmac it's awe-inspiring, there's just something about the design, that vehicles like the Fortuner and Endeavour don't do.

I am attaching a photo of when we went to try and photograph the Milky Way, thinking 100kms away from Pune is a good enough distance to get away from the light pollution, well you can see what happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Japan: Mitsubishi Pajero / Montero production to end by August 2019-_mg_2542.jpg  

Beerus is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 15:46   #23
BHPian

What do they even want? Whenever someone kills a legendary/bread and butter marquee, they have a solid plan to bring something better. (Exception: Tata with Safari previously)

I don't even know the remaining well selling models of theirs apart from Triton in Aus/NZ zone. When globally there's a surge in demand for SUVs, a company kills its most iconic SUV that put the company on the world map.

I sincerely hope they have some solid reasoning to it.
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 16:14   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Mitsubishi phases out Pajero with Final Edition
Im glad they finally stopped production of this thing. This car did not age well. I drove a Pajero in Dubai around 10 years ago and it had by far the most heaviest Steering on the planet. The model I drove was the 3.8v6 petrol and it was very very slow for my liking. While growing up in Dubai Pajero always had a huge fan following mostly because it was a good family car for its price when compared to the Prado. There is no point in selling an outdated car and killing the brand at the same time. I hope VW in India also doesnt have an end like this.
Old 19th May 2021, 17:41   #25
BHPian

I still remember seeing a pajero on the roads mostly owned by someone really famous and drooling over the stickers "Turbo Intercooler" and completely being in awe without knowing what it meant but found it so cool!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks