Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2019, 18:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Mitsubishi mulls bringing back Lancer Evolution

According to a media report, Mitsubishi is planning a return to its performance car roots by resurrecting the Lancer Evolution.

Rumour: Mitsubishi mulls bringing back Lancer Evolution-mitsi_evo_v2.jpg

The report suggests the 11th iteration of the Lancer Evolution could be based on the CMF-C/D F4 platform. It is likely to be powered by a turbocharged 2.0-litre, four-cylinder, petrol engine that does duty in the Renault Megane RS. The highest output from the engine is said to be 296 BHP and 400 Nm of torque. The engine is expected to be paired to a dual-clutch gearbox and Mitsubishi's S-AWC four-wheel drive system. For the Lancer Evolution, the powertrain could get a 48V mild-hybrid system that could boost the power output to almost 341 BHP and 433 Nm of torque. The car could offer supercar-beating acceleration in four-door saloon or five-door hatchback bodystyles.

Mitsubishi chairman Osamu Masuko reportedly wanted to develop the car a few years back, but the plans were put on hold after Mitsubishi suffered heavy losses. The company was later acquired by Nissan.

Source: Autocar

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by ChiragM : 1st July 2019 at 18:19.
ChiragM is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 1st July 2019, 21:01   #2
RWD
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Mitsubishi mulls bringing back Lancer Evolution

Exciting news for someone like me, who grew up watching World Rally Championship, during what was arguably one of its golden periods in history, when the cars were still as much of a legend, as the legendary drivers who drove them. Back then, in my teenage years, I would dream of a Lancer Evolution VI (in full TOMMI livery) in my fantasy garage. A long while later, I still do.

Watching Tommi Makinen in his Evo, displaying razor sharp car control on challenging rally stages, going incredibly fast, jumping and sliding, right on the edge of traction, and at times beyond it, and disappearing in a plume of dust, during my impressionable years, meant that I hardly ever even rode a bicycle straight. Rear brakes always needed to be ship shape

Point that I'm vaguely trying to make here is, that Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution is an absolute legend, and it is a great joy to hear that it will be kept alive.

A special mention to other iconic drivers/cars of that era - Colin McRae in Ford Focus, Richard Burns and later Petter Soldberg in Subaru Impreza, Carlos Sainz in Toyota Corolla, and Marcus Gronholm in Peugeot 206/307.
Attached Thumbnails
Rumour: Mitsubishi mulls bringing back Lancer Evolution-tommi-makinen.jpg  

RWD is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 07:59   #3
Team-BHP Support

I so hope this is true.

The Evo is a legend, and it was a moment of sadness for the automobile community when the news of discontinuation was announced. In saying that, if the Evo is resurrected, then surely even the Lancer would? I don't suppose it would make business sense to only have the Evo, and not the Lancer.
benbsb29 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 14:19   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

In the news era of EVs & autonomous driving, this comes as such a breath of fresh air .

But I'll still treat the rumour with a pinch of salt. For one, what car will the Evo be based on? The Lancer sedan is pretty much dead. Second, would cash-strapped Mitsubishi develop a new Lancer sedan? In this era of SUVs where sedans are dying? Just doesn't make any sense.
Old 2nd July 2019, 15:52   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
In the news era of EVs & autonomous driving, this comes as such a breath of fresh air .

But I'll still treat the rumour with a pinch of salt. For one, what car will the Evo be based on? The Lancer sedan is pretty much dead. Second, would cash-strapped Mitsubishi develop a new Lancer sedan? In this era of SUVs where sedans are dying? Just doesn't make any sense.
Looking back at what they did with Evos 7,8 and 9, they could improve/modify the existing platform.
Old 2nd July 2019, 15:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

But I'll still treat the rumour with a pinch of salt. For one, what car will the Evo be based on? The Lancer sedan is pretty much dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bivin View Post
Looking back at what they did with Evos 7,8 and 9, they could improve/modify the existing platform.
Mentioned that it could be based on the CMF-C/D F4 platform. It could be a version of the CMF-C/D platform, which underpins other cars like the Megane RS. The Nissan-Renault-Mitsubishi could help out in this case. Engines are also likely to be taken from the Megane RS, or least based on its engine.
Old 3rd July 2019, 18:06   #7
BHPian

Mitsubishi acquired by Nissan? Oh wow and oh my! I did not know that. Aren'ta few new Mistubishis expected to launch in India soon? The Eclipse, is it not. I had and have a major crush on the Lancer. Pity they were gone by the time I could afford to buy a car!
Old 7th July 2019, 17:43   #8
BHPian

Here's what the 11th gen Lancer could look like if it were released around now -

Rumour: Mitsubishi mulls bringing back Lancer Evolution-179c408a11thgenerationmitsubishilancerrenderings21024x576.jpg

Rumour: Mitsubishi mulls bringing back Lancer Evolution-00e7c2ee11thgenerationmitsubishilancerrenderings11024x576.jpg
Old 9th July 2019, 16:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

If they are really bringing this legend back, then they’re doing the right thing. I hope they get the car to India to spice up the competition with the sexy vRS! This is more like batman resurrecting superman in justice league using the motherbox
Old 9th July 2019, 22:34   #10
BHPian

So an Evo that probably won't make you pay for its whole value on fuel and servicing in 2-3 years. Sounds good to me! I personally feel that after the EVO VI, the design went a bit downhill. Hope they do better with the EVO XI

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks