Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2019, 18:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

China to amend rules to promote hybrid car sales

According to a media report, China is looking to amend its regulations to make it easier for hybrids to be sold in the country.

China to amend rules to promote hybrid car sales-2019toyotacamry22.jpg

At present, hybrids come under conventional vehicles and automakers are required to build 20,000 electric vehicles for every 1 million hybrid cars they make. The Ministry of Industry and Information Technology, which oversees automotive policy in China, is looking to make it easier to sell more fuel-efficient vehicles and hybrids. These will be classified as "low-fuel-consumption passenger vehicles". Under the new regulations, automakers will need to make 6,000 electric vehicles for every 1 million hybrid cars they produce. The number of electric cars to be made for every 1 million conventional cars will increase to 29,000.

The move is expected to help Toyota and Honda, who sold more than 2 million hybrids worldwide in 2018. Out of the 1.49 million vehicles Toyota sold in China last year, only 10% were hybrids. The company is looking to increase this figure to 30% by 2020. The car maker could also see this as an opportunity to supply technology to other automakers.

The government is expected to hold hearings with manufacturers and industry experts and could make a decision by the end of the year.

Source - Nikkei Asian Review

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by ChiragM : 15th July 2019 at 18:40.
ChiragM is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 16th July 2019, 14:11   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: China to amend rules to promote hybrid car sales

If only India could take a cue from our neighbours. Our budget is promoting EVs, despite the fact that there is no mass-market practical EV on sale, and a complete absence of charging points.

Have said this again & again. Give proper hybrids some support and see how the "15 kmpl" hatchback segment becomes a 30 kmpl one overnight. It'll not only increase investments, but also stimulate demand in the auto industry. Not to forget = reduce our oil burdens.
Old 16th July 2019, 15:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

Excellent move. last year I kept a log of my daily usage for 3 months and have realized that 15 days a month my usage is between 70 and 100 km, 4 or 5 days it is below 50 km, another 4 or 5 days when I'm on city outskirts it is between 100 and 200 km but the 4 or 5 days I go out of Pune it can be anything between 350 and 700 km.
If I start using a plug in Hybrid with 100 km battery only range and overnight charging, and also use the rare few public charging points, my engine will actually be used average of only 10 days in a month.

Assume a one day Bombay trip in this hypothetical situation.
I start from Pune with a fully charged battery, it drops to about 40% at Lonavala, but regenerative braking on the decent brings it back to 65%, suppose in the future the parking lot at the express malls have payed metered charging facility, I can have breakfast there and re-start with say 85% charge, I may probably reach the Phoenix mall Kurla parking with the battery about to run out, or with about 20 min of engine use. (Until charging facility at the express mall starts I may reach the end of exp way and need the engine between Panvel and Vashi.)
Return back may give me a similar situation with over 50% on the journey only on battery.
The maximum same day return trips I regularly do is for my Meetings in Belgaon which is a 670 km day for me. Even here if I get a charging facility at a hotel in Karad where I can have my breakfast and dinner break, as well as the factory where I'm having the meeting in, even with a 100km range, over 300 km of the journey is possible in electric mode.

Rahul
Old 12th August 2019, 12:18   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

As China is now promoting Hybrids, Toyota to build battery plant in China.

Toyota Motors battery-making subsidiary will build its fourth hybrid vehicle battery plant in China as Beijing expands government incentives for low-emission autos.
Quote:
This new plant, to be built in 2021, will be capable of producing roughly 100,000 batteries a year, quadrupling the total capacity in China to about 400,000 units.
Gasoline-electric hybrids are currently not considered new energy vehicles, but Beijing looks set to reclassify them as such, granting hybrids more favorable treatment.

Quote:
Toyota's Prius, which debuted in 1997, ranks as one of the world's most widely sold hybrid vehicles.

Hybrids face lower hurdles for market penetration as they do not require dedicated infrastructure, such as stations for battery charging or hydrogen fueling.
Link

Most Viewed